r50 still has a knock

Moderator: Mark

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

r50 still has a knock

Postby J_Dub » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 pm

So I've replaced front control arms bushes, ball joints, re packed cvs, new boots, done rear upper control arm bushes and rear sway bar bushes.

I will be doing the rear lower bushes in the next week, even tho the garage didn't pick up any movement when going for a WOF ( I asked him to specifically concentrate on the control arms) but as the uppers were flogged I'm sure the lowers can't be in too good a nick.

I'm still getting a hard knocking sound in the front when going over a decent bump, more so passenger side, absolutely no movement or knock when hard turning left to right, so that's gotta cancel out the top hat stru bearings?? I will check front sway bar this weekend but the sound I'm getting sounds too hard to be sway bar.. Is it possible the sound from a flogged rear bush can transmit through to make it feel like its coming from the front?? Any ideas??

Cheers

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: r50 still has a knock

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 pm

check your engine and transmission mounts, washer bottle, battery, (side steps/runnerboards these tend to rust off. )
intercooler mounts. top brackets that hold the nudge bar on(if it has one)

These things are a tin can full of loose nuts and bolts compared to the earlier WD21 and R20. For some reason unbeknown to the normal world of society nissan went quite half arsed on this particular model.

even the old mans one which is a QD32 eti r3m is falling to bits and not working properly.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 pm

The front struts crap out as well but the normally start leaking first.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:check your engine and transmission mounts, washer bottle, battery, (side steps/runnerboards these tend to rust off. )
intercooler mounts. top brackets that hold the nudge bar on(if it has one)

These things are a tin can full of loose nuts and bolts compared to the earlier WD21 and R20. For some reason unbeknown to the normal world of society nissan went quite half arsed on this particular model.

even the old mans one which is a QD32 eti r3m is falling to bits and not working properly.

Cheers will check all them. Yea their a bit rattly but as a daily they are bloody nice to drive. At this rate it will be a damn new car soon.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:27 pm

ChurchurDan wrote:The front struts crap out as well but the normally start leaking first.

If it were the struts wouldn't I feel something while steering as well? Its purely when hitting a bump, even at low speeds

mudbugga
Hard Yaka

Postby mudbugga » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Check the front swaybar links. Very common to need replacing.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:51 am

Mine will be getting the same treatment soon. Used to drive real nice, now its getting clunky n sloppy. The one that annoys me the most is an annoying as hell slight shudder/rattle at idle and light takeoff that sounds to be in the gearbox tunnel area (similar to the noise you'd get if the shifter linkages were loose or the exhaust was up against something) but its not that. Had gearbox mount checked at last WOF and seemed ok. Started not long after I got it so picking the dealer has whacked some grease on something to shut it up for a few ks haha. Will have to have a decent look at everything once I start ripping bushes out
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 am

is the "knock' sharp like two pieces of metal banging together, or more muffled? (how much is a new strut…?)

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 am

I did mine a year ago and they where about $350 for the pair.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 am

My knock is the sound of 2 hard surfaces coming into contact, definately a mount somewhere, not tinny or rattly

The Green Machine
Driver/Navigator

Postby The Green Machine » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Is likely to be the exhaust flexor hitting the chassis. Look underneath the front passenger side and you will see the mesh looking exhaust flexor just down from the engine. It is quite close to the chassis and when it gets a bit old it flexes too much. It is there to stop your exhaust system from cracking.

The fix - I put blue tack on the chassis between the flexor! No noise now when you go over bumps!

(didn't want to replace the flexor as it wasn't leaking or cracked yet)

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:26 pm

The Green Machine wrote:Is likely to be the exhaust flexor hitting the chassis. Look underneath the front passenger side and you will see the mesh looking exhaust flexor just down from the engine. It is quite close to the chassis and when it gets a bit old it flexes too much. It is there to stop your exhaust system from cracking.

The fix - I put blue tack on the chassis between the flexor! No noise now when you go over bumps!

(didn't want to replace the flexor as it wasn't leaking or cracked yet)

X2 check the exhaust system as its really stupidly close in places

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Cheers guys. Will do. This weekends mission

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Not a 4x4 but I had a clunk in one corner.... only did it on bumps... slow or fast. I could bounce it up and down and nothing. Go out the drive way and clunk..... turned out to be the shock. The internal valve thing must have been stuufed.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

mudbugga
Hard Yaka

Postby mudbugga » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:47 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:(how much is a new strut…?)

Cheap shocks on TM....
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 435064.htm

Repco had them on sale recently as well. Under the hundy mark each for Munros.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Right so I've checked front sway bar bushes and all seems good although they are nearing the end of their life there's no sign of contact anywhere to create a knock.

I jacked up fron't left and there is play in the wheel when moving it holding top and bottom but nothing when holding both sides and moving it.. Bearing???
Wouldn't a loose bearing show movement both ways.

Also when I hit the spring the whole strut assembly makes a definite sound that I would think it shouldn't do, even with no load on the strut there should be enough tension in the assembly right to cause no knocks or signs of lack of tension?????

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 pm

check the two bolts that hold the bottom of the strut to the hub assembly

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:check the two bolts that hold the bottom of the strut to the hub assembly

Yea they are all tight.

NB42
Driver/Navigator

Postby NB42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Ball joints? My Mu had movement up and down but not left and right, and the mechanic said start at the ball joints. They could make a knock if worn too

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 pm

^^^ have replaced those

Slacker
Driver/Navigator

Postby Slacker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Did you find out what the knocking was? I have a similar issue front left with my truck. Also has a shuddering on the open road.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Shuddering is the auto box, torque converter on its way out but there are additives that fix it, forgot which 1 I used but get an additive that specifically states that it removes shuddering, it does work, its a 2 part mix, thick as.

As for the knock, never found it in the end, but with everything I done I reckon it was the strut assembly.

Sold the truck now

Slacker
Driver/Navigator

Postby Slacker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah I'm thinking its the strut assembly too. Is it ok to replace one or best to replace them as a pair?

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:is the "knock' sharp like two pieces of metal banging together, or more muffled? (how much is a new strut…?)

:)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 am

As a pair preferably other wisr you may encounter bump steer as the worn side compresses easier then the new one

Slacker
Driver/Navigator

Postby Slacker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 am

What brands do you recommend Crash? Being an old truck don't want to spend to much. Can I purchase from BNT Repco etc?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:20 am

Slacker wrote:What brands do you recommend Crash? Being an old truck don't want to spend to much. Can I purchase from BNT Repco etc?

If you are just after the normal OEM part BNT is fine i would n't used ripco to expensive.
Bilstien is a rear breed but have been seen, but any really, its just a macpherson strut after all.

and dont pay more then 200 a corner, if you do you might as well get the two inch lift struts from 4wdbits and shove some 50 mm poly spacers on the rear coils whiles your at it.

Slacker
Driver/Navigator

Postby Slacker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. 8)

Return to “Nissan”