SWB GQ overhaul

Moderator: Mark

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

SWB GQ overhaul

Postby kiwibronco » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:08 pm

Guys I'm back on this forum after being away for a few years. A lot changed so stopped 4wding but kept my trusty GQ (Rosie). Anyway so Rosie went from bouncing off trees to off curbs in the last 3 - 4 years. The TD42 has always had a fair bit of blowby and adding the turbo has not improved that situation. Shes now seriously chuffing, and in itself I'm not too concerned except get into a tough wellington head wind and I'm nearly changing down gears. Add a trailer and I'm in the slow lane. I suspect that points to lots of compression disappearing somewhere other than the exhaust. Anyway, just finishing off sorting a 460 Bronco and now money is coming right am seriously thinking about getting Rosie back to a solid dedicated 4wd truck and getting back into 4wding. Have always missed it so keen to give Rosie a makeover and start all over again. What I'm starting with:

Running gear
TD42, 310,000ks and chuffing bad plus down on power, aftermarket turbo at 15psi max via an A2A intercooler and full 3 inch exhaust. Std pump etc with a turn of fuel until my EGT's were topping about 550. 5 speed manual where thirds not too happy changing down. Was told a 4 inch suspension lift when I got it but its gotta be way sagged as have seen 2 inch lifts with more spring in their step. Recently recond LSD rear diff. Body etc has rust round the windows, dents everywhere (don't care), 2 inch body lift, shortened rear quarters, good front bars, rock sliders and rear wrap arounds, onboard compressor, and VERY slow electric winch due for a rebuild. Legacy seats and crook speedo and rev counter (they have the "AHH I'm doing 180k" thing goin on).

So heres what i'm thinking. I love the truck and now have some money to spend on her and want to start forming a plan of attack. Very interested in experienced and educated opinions as i know there are a bunch of you that have done this stuff. So, what do I want? More power (go figure). Probably not as far as to need major internal engine modifications but probably as much as you can bolt on to a recond engine. Maintain great torque but pull to say 4000. Don't think my current engine has ever quite got to 4k. Sounds like its gonna dump its lunch past about 3500!! Basically a very capable club truck thats reliable and pretty much dedicated to 4wding with the torque/HP to hold its own on the highway.

So heres what I'm thinking:
Engine - love a V8 but reality tells me recon the TD42. Then thinknig new pump, 12mm plunger, boost compensator and existing turbo/intercooler running 15 PSI. Can change turbo later if its not enough (like the compound idea but maybe too far/complex?). Thoughts? Also what about headwork, balancing, inlet manifold etc or should I just go with a stock recon?

Gearbox - probably keen to stay 5 speed. May be old school but like gears and not use to autos. Could be swayed? Maybe a Lokkar in the front diff and probably leave the rear LSD??

Suspension - needs a make over. not too fussed on huge lift as I've never had a time where current set up was not high enough (except diffs??) and also concerned with center of gravity shifts but keeping wheels in touch with the ground I'd like i.e. better articulation, was thinking 3 inch with extended radius arms but what else would you recommend?

Body - probably a black mark but planning on trimming to a ute. Only cos i like that look. I'd love to have a better reason like "oh what about the weight saving or rust etc" but in reality I just like the look of these trucks as utes. Also thinking about shifting some weight rearward e.g. mid mount batteries and maybe look at fiberglass front guards/bonnet etc, plus likely 6 point roll cage, just cos I'd feel safer if i ever did something stupid.

Trucks I have saved as ideas - Recall Taz did a nice conversion as did Pigfarmer. Still have the pics. Muddyaz Truck I'm big into but more because of the power and the fact it was still a TD42. would like that power but maybe toned down a smidge for reliability. Be great to get a ride in a well tuned TD42 alogn the lines I'm thinking just to see what good power in these things feels like. Mines always felt sluggish. The turbo I think just delayed the inevitable.

Anyway be interested in your views. Budget...Hmm...I dunno, could maybe go out to 10 - 15k. Sons a welder/engineer so bodywork and basic mechanics we'll do but the recon and parts I'll be paying for. Look forward to your comments and experience.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Re: SWB GQ overhaul

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Lets see some pics of the Bronco!!

Just regarding the front traction..you can fit a 31 spline terrano rear LSD in the front high pinion housing. Works real well :wink:
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Hmm Ok thanks buddy. Thats worth adding to the ideas in the plan.

Bronco Pics...hopefully this works. Has 460BB, alloy heads, shorty headers, 750dp, mild roller cam/lifters etc, C6, 4 inch lift, hydroboost brake system. Really just a cross between me liking V8's and Trucks generally and crosses over as something we can go camping in. Started pretty average so did a full rebuild of the running gear but not quite a body off restore but stuff like brake lines, calipers, cylinders etc I've replaced. Its at the panelbeaters at the mo. Still to do interior but got some bits like seats etc lined up for it plus full set of rubbers to go in. Been fun but buckets of time. Pics don't do it justice but shes pretty big.

Anyway, Pics below:
After the lift.
Engine bay:
Minus the canopy:

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 pm

sounds like similar plan to mine for (clockwork orange),
some points to add is theres a wealth of info to upgrade your injector pump(apparently a 14mm standard plunger/head available)
also notable differences in the delivery valves available for the ve's some flow a lot better ,
inlet manifold could get a pump up in volume to ensure ample volume of air available,
80 series bumps is a standard go to with any lift on the oz trucks,
80 series shocks in front (will report back on that)
radius arm spacers work a treat
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks buddy. Yeah have hada chat to a few people and sounds like spacers are a good start. Now tossing up whether to hone and do rings on my existing engine or try and get a good second had one. "Good" being the key issue.

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Ok so its been a while as was working on the bronco. Started ion the rebuild of the GQ. Started with suspension. Have swapped out the old lift for 3 inch dobinson coils and EFS shocks. Also did adjustable panhards and superior engineering drop boxes rather than caster correction bushes. As part of the process I went to heavy duty rear lower control arms and new rubber bushes for the rear arms and the front radius arms. She drives very smooth now. Hope these pics work.

Old suspension
And new:
Also while I had the welder out i took 40mm out of the lower edges of the front guards and moved the lip back to give better clearance for my 35's. They did use to clear but only by about 10mm. Now they got plenty of room and you can hardly tell the guards been cut.

Also tidied up the interior. Cleaned out the floor area and did POR 15 in the rear and mat tblack up front. Then made new storage bins for the sides and a box for two bins in the center. In the middle I made a steel bracket so I can lay the spare on top and pull it down with a long 12mm bolt and bracket. Plastic bins and stretchy stop everything sliding out and don't rattle.
Also my old door cards were poked so made some out of 7mm ply and stained them. Actually came up better than i thought they would!
Last thing was finishing the bull bar. Started a while ago. Now got myself a good PTO winch so rearranged the old electric cradle and added some bar work. I went with 40mm box only cos it suits the front I reckon. Bit of time to create the curves but looks the business bolted up.
And tacked onto the old steam pipe base bar.
Painted with primer and two coats of killrust matt black enamel.
Also replace my old grill. After a few years it was cracked everywhere so got one off TM and thats tidied up the front. Now just got to mount the bar and winch then start shifting my 3 inch exhaust to get the winch drive mounted up. Also looking to repaint the truck myself at some stage. Just working on colours to tidy it up and protect it a bit.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:42 pm

will you " UTE CHOP" it before you paint it, so don't need to repaint later?

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Hmm i've gone round and round on the roof chop idea and decided not to. Bunch of reasons but the main one is I sometimes use it for work stuff and being able to leave tools in it locked up is handy.

Return to “Nissan”