Raising the Terrano

Moderator: Mark

Henryford666
Winch master

Raising the Terrano

Postby Henryford666 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Greeting !!! So I want to raise up my Terrano It has 31's on at the moment I'd like to go little bigger in tyres and lift it. What's the best ideas Cheers for you thought s Matt

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Raising the Terrano

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:57 pm

read either this thread...

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=34933

or this thread...

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=43065

As you will need to deal to the steering linkages before raising it or you will spend the rest of your day's replacing bent tie rod ends.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:10 pm

2" lift springs rear easy. Readily available. Using cobras in mine, very stiff however.

Front torsion bars. wind them up a bit. easy (usually need re-indexing too). be prepared for steering problems.

Body lift kits, make yourself or buy, readily available on trademe. easy.

Can fit 32s easy, 33s (thats 10.5 wide not 12.5) fit with a little guard trim i believe. rim size 8" wide, offset around -12 to - 20mm i believe. Im running 32x11.5x15 maxxis bighorns on an 8" wide rim with -12 offset. only mangled the guard on the front left when I bent the steering idler.

I repeat, the steering is always bending and breaking. have a good read up on old threads on here.

Good luck out there.

Henryford666
Winch master

Postby Henryford666 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate your input

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:17 pm

If you want to do it on the cheap Izusu UB69 front shocks and rear springs fit and are longer than the terrano ones.
I used them along with monroe airshocks.
The izusu rear springs give an immediate 30mm lift in the rear straight away then just wind the torsion bars up.

Hope that helps.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:49 pm

watch the tyre size you get away with larger tyres running around on the road but once offroad you'll find you'll suffer from "bent steering syndrome" and it starts wearing thin after a while :D idler braces and tierod upgrades/modificatins improve things but its still relatively weak steering setup for offroad :D there's tons of stuff about steering improvements on the net it'll keep you busy for a while reading through it all :D

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 pm

derk wrote:watch the tyre size you get away with larger tyres running around on the road but once offroad you'll find you'll suffer from "bent steering syndrome" and it starts wearing thin after a while :D idler braces and tierod upgrades/modificatins improve things but its still relatively weak steering setup for offroad :D there's tons of stuff about steering improvements on the net it'll keep you busy for a while reading through it all :D

Thats not true. Its just like your solid axle Hilux, if you are going to wheel it aggressively, you are going to need to upgrade the steering :D
Just gotta get creative
Dual steering boxes (idler delete) + 2wd steering mod with my 4140 adjusters = problem solved. 33s and front locker, booting it up rocky ledges easy. Super reliable and strong, nothing to bend. Fixes geometry problems that cause the factory setup to bend when lifted.

TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:07 pm

are you ever going to market those adjusters,Lax?

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:46 pm

sounds like that terrano steering is pretty bulletproof and robust mate you might as well lift her up and throw the biggest set of tyres you can find onto it and ignore all the rest of that rubbish about weak steering all over the net she'll be ready for as much hardcore shit you can throw at it :D

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:01 pm

derk wrote:sounds like that terrano steering is pretty bulletproof and robust mate you might as well lift her up and throw the biggest set of tyres you can find onto it and ignore all the rest of that rubbish about weak steering all over the net she'll be ready for as much hardcore shit you can throw at it :D

Why do you have to act like a spoilt 5 year old when someone has a different opinion? He never disagreed that it was weak in standard form, just said that it is possible to upgrade it to handle bigger tyres. Some might compare it to upgrading landy diffs but that's a whole 'nother argument :roll:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 pm

Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not been here in months......and............nothing has changed!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 pm

So much more fun shit to be doing/chicks to be doing than arguing on the internet.

Nothing wrong with good information that other people can benefit from though
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Return to “Nissan”