Safari rear diff lock

Moderator: Mark

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Safari rear diff lock

Postby tuckertrucker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:12 am

Hi ore, can someone set me straight on the safari rear diff: i have a '92 Nissan Granroad Safari LWB. Did any of these come out of the factory with a rear diff lock? I can't find any info on this anywhere. The reason I'm asking is cause I've just come onto pavement in 4WD and as I made a turn the rear wheels began to bind untill one broke free on some gravel. I know they have pretty much the best LSD in the business, but it DIDNT bind up like this in 2WD.
My thinking is that there could be a diff lock that engages in 4WD? Because it definately doesnt bind like that when I've selected 2WD, but does it without fail in 4.
Cheers, Dylan.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Re: Safari rear diff lock

Postby Lchundy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:57 am

Won't have diff lock if there's no switch to engage it unless it's got a lock rite but you would notice it in 2wd aswell have a look at your rear diff see if there a actuator on the pumpkin.
It's binding up in 4wd front to rear which is normal

charo249
Hard Yaka

Postby charo249 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:08 am

Can get a factory option of a rear diff lock - but this is operated by a switch and will not engage automatically. You will experience binding on dry pavement in 4wd as because these have a part time 4wd system and there is no centre diff (unlike say most land cruisers, Subarus, range rovers etc), hence it is not recommended to drive in 4wd on the road in your safari.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:28 am

Yeah that makes sense. I've spoken to a mechanic down the road and he shrugged and said theyre just that tight.

But the front is open diff, so how will that cause binding from front to rear?

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:29 am

never mind my last question - the fron wheels turn a different radius to the rear wheels, and so the drive shafts will turn at different speeds. Hence the binding.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:10 pm

^^^ yep, you got it.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:07 am

hey guys... need info on this bloody factory diff lock have a look in my thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44738&p=450480#p450480

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:54 pm

what's up , not sorted yet?, power , a switch , vacuum it should go
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:18 am

no news in his other thread regarding his disfunctional diff lock. But I've come to realise that my LSD is just really really good. And I was wrong it does tighten up in 2WD. When theres any kind of load on it the rear axle is pretty much locked.

What AR ratio is your turbo mate? I've got a AR60 on a Garrett GT35 turbo. Is youre hot end quite a bit smaller to help spool the compressor up quickly. With my set up I've got little to no boost in the lower revs as the motor just cant spin the turbine, but get up above 2200 and it starts to spin, and when you get the 3000 the turbo is flying and pumping 17psi.

Just wondering mate because you say its set to give 12lb and with such a big unit I can imagine itd take a lot of revs to get your 12

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:39 am

yeah guys, sory thought I said... it was missing and hoses, seems to take a while before it locks in or out at times.
The other day down at the river a hose on the diff got flicked off and it wouldent disinguage, but I have an understanding how it works now so quick look at the diff and yip hose off.
I will get a mak valve to replace the factory solinoid, but spent a lot on this old tub for now.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:02 pm

dangerous wrote:yeah guys, sory thought I said... it was missing and hoses, seems to take a while before it locks in or out at times.
The other day down at the river a hose on the diff got flicked off and it wouldent disinguage, but I have an understanding how it works now so quick look at the diff and yip hose off.
I will get a mak valve to replace the factory solinoid, but spent a lot on this old tub for now.

good to hear ya got it sorted and got yourself some understanding on it :mrgreen: happy trails

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:13 pm

spoke to soon... it wont switch on, but if I pull one of the outlet hoses off the solenoid it does...
can some one check with theres by pulling the two exit pipes off while engine is running and tell me by putting their finger over the solenoid pipes if one or two are sucking in the OFF position and the ON position, cheers ta

Return to “Nissan”