service time

Moderator: Mark

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

service time

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Hey guys n gals

its time to do a service on my '92 Safari TD42. How do I replace the radiator fluid? I've never done it before and theres no better time to learn.

Also what grade oil should go in it? The atmospheric temperature in Kerikeri can range from 5 degrees in winter and 25 degrees in summer so needs to accomodate that. Also what ratio coolant should I put in it? 30%

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Re: service time

Postby Craydiver » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Go to this link, down load the service manual

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=34572&p=372529&hilit=Safari+service+manual#p372529

I run 50% coolant concentrate (im not talking premix)
oil - anything priced well, my firm belief is change the oil often, every 5000km or less rather than focus on buying the expensive stuff ($150 for 10l) and run longer the versus the $60 for 10l on special and change often
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm

yeah thanks for that. Frequent changes make sense to me too, so I'll find something priced right around the 10W-30 mark.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:36 pm

I tried valvolene diesel xtra in mine, never seems to hold a stable pressure, switched to that supercheap stuff and it was fine again (Calibre branded, whatever the diesel one in a 10L drum is). I usually just go for whatever is on a reasonable special in a 10L drum at the time.
Another handy hint once you have an empty 10 or 20L drum, if you cut the top of a 3L juice bottle into a funnel it fits perfectly into the cap of the drum, you can fit the whole thing under a safari and drain the sump straight into it :)
Filters on the other hand, I never worked out how you were meant to get those out without making a mess haha
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 pm

3VILC wrote:I tried valvolene diesel xtra in mine, never seems to hold a stable pressure, switched to that supercheap stuff and it was fine again (Calibre branded, whatever the diesel one in a 10L drum is). I usually just go for whatever is on a reasonable special in a 10L drum at the time.
Another handy hint once you have an empty 10 or 20L drum, if you cut the top of a 3L juice bottle into a funnel it fits perfectly into the cap of the drum, you can fit the whole thing under a safari and drain the sump straight into it :)
Filters on the other hand, I never worked out how you were meant to get those out without making a mess haha

now thats a little bit of genius right there, we've got a empty 20l oil container from when we did the boat so will make use of that tip :mrgreen: as for the filters i think the trick is to stuff lots of rags under them as they come out and then lift them up with the hole end up. But in saying that, I still have big oil stains all over the place so I clearly didnt suceed with that.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:05 pm

At least it used to fit under mine anyway, bonus of course is that you can just trim the 'funnel' pretty short if need be an it still works. Doesn't work on my terrano tho..although it might do with a 10L but haven't got an empty one spare yet.
The filters always make a mess before you can get them off the thread, then you suddenly realise you cant turn it and it lift it out amoungst the hoses with your hand in the position you have it, by which time most of its on the floor anyway haha. Only good part of the engine I just threw away, mr Nissan had actually placed a drip tray under the filter housing with a hose running down to near the sump plug so it just ran down into whatever you were catching your oil in, no such luck on the 'new' old QD32 tho
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:23 am

never thought of that, the truck wont be high enough for a 20l. I guess I'll just have to find something else.

I've also heard of guys jacking the passenger side of the car as high as they can get it, this would help keep the oil in the filter as you unscrew it.

lokrite
Bush Crasher

Postby lokrite » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Finally realised a 10lt paint pail fits under sump plug easy just empty and replace lid as for filters save the old towells and jam under filters
I get my painter buddys to save their paint pails (with lids) for my oil changes

Return to “Nissan”