sucking air into injector pump

Moderator: Mark

jaxom28
Driver/Navigator

sucking air into injector pump

Postby jaxom28 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:51 pm

1996 navara D21 auto 4x4 TD2.7T
engine is a repower and only done 200k The glow plugs have been done back in july.
Took to a diesel mechanic:
Injector pump is sucking air when it is cold through the front shaft seal. Is ok when warmed up.
Was told also that seal can wear a grove into the shaft (replacement) , and that a bush can also fail and need replacing.
Can anyone tell me what is involved in changing the shaft seal and also what else to look for? What else is likely to break?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: sucking air into injector pump

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:27 pm

how good are you with spanners in tight places?

have a squizz at this more shit you remove the easier it is to do,

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=43065

fuel lines injector lines intake manifold power steer pump(if its got one) battery radiator, fan , pump timing gear inspection cover (the round one in front of the pump, not the whole timing chain cover), then you need to be careful not to knock the timing adjustment bolt/assembly on the bottom of the pump, just undo the whole thing from the engine block, gear puller for the sproket, then the three small bolts holding the pump to the back of the timing gear cover.

all in a days work. lol

and that's just getting the pump out of the engine bay, not fixing it or putting it back in.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

jaxom28
Driver/Navigator

Postby jaxom28 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Hello crash bandicoot, yes I am moderately handy with spanners. It is just a matter of time as the silage season is just hitting full steam. I have another vehicle ,so I am not in a hurry.
I am confident getting the injector pump off , but not so sure about working on the pump itself.

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Do you want a cheap fix? Run an inline electric fuel pump in the feed to the injection pump. If you have positive pressure in the pump it won't suck in air :)
Get one that is low pressure, around the 4psi area or you may end up with fuel leaks.

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:42 am

^^^^probably end up with diesel in your engine oil doing that. Do what crash said, I pulled mine out about a year ago and had Diesel Progress in Palmy fit a seal kit, said he wont touch them unless he fits a new driveshaft as well because of said groove, cost about $700 from memory so not cheap

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:44 am

Also the new shaft seal is an upgraded version (double lipped I think) to minimize wear on the shaft

jaxom28
Driver/Navigator

Postby jaxom28 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:45 pm

I was hoping for a simple fix as I am going to sell the vehicle. Thanks for clarifying things. Now I can make decisions.

Return to “Nissan”