Air Conditioning Bearings - Terrano TD27T 1992

Moderator: Mark

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Air Conditioning Bearings - Terrano TD27T 1992

Postby travis2ninja » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 am

Hi all,
My bearings in my airconditioner have started to be so noisy i can hear them in the cabin.
I'm not sure on how to replace them, I did take the belt off, and removed the 10mm bolt from the front of the unit but nothing would come apart.
I tried prying with a pry tool and hitting it with a hammer a little but didn't budge.
Any ideas on how it comes apart?
Thanks

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Re: Air Conditioning Bearings - Terrano TD27T 1992

Postby diogenese » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:03 am

It will likely be the clutch bearings. The assembly is a press fit on a splined shaft and really needs a puller to get it off without breaking the clutch magnet coil.
It is possible to pull it with a couple of screwdrivers as levers between the magnet and the plate and tapping the shaft with a longer bolt into the thread but it is more likely to bend something :)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Check it isnt the idler pulley bearing first. Never heard of the actual a c unit bearings failing.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Postby travis2ninja » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Replaced the Idler Bearing First So that's Good,
Its very noisy and goes away when i turn the air con on. Also sounds terrible when i spin the pulley by hand.
This diagram is from the petrol versions as i couldn't find one for the TD27T.
aircon.PNG

Looks very similar, had a read of how it comes apart, looks like an annoy job without the special tools.
Might need to take it somewhere :twisted:

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:11 pm

I've only done them on the bench (ie degassed) but depending on how much room you have it could be doable on the truck.

Pretty straight forward.
1. Remove the M6 threaded bolt. Pull the clutch off by hand (sometimes need a puller, from memory an M8 or M10 threaded bolt will thread straight in to act as a puller, Be sure not to lose any shims that were in there (which set clutch clearance)
2. Remove the circlip, then use a three jaw (or similar) puller to get the pulley off.
3. Go muck around with a press and various sockets/bits of pipe to press the bearing out (making sure to support the pulley at the centre or you will bend it for sure).
4. Press new bearing in (again, support at centre).
5. Punch/Stake the pulley to ensure it all stays put (look at pulley before pressing bearing out and you should see that they have a few punches from factory)
6. Reinstall pulley, bit of bearing retainer is a good idea. Sometimes they basically press on by hand, other times they require a bit of encouragement. Make sure you strike near the centre, and evenly around the edge (This is probably the hard bit if you were doing it in place on the truck).
7. Reinstall circlip.
8. Push clutch back on. At this point remove shims to adjust clutch clearance as good as you can (aim for as close as possible but not touching).
9. Reinstall M6 bolt.

If that sounds to hard/don't have access to press and puller, pay someone.
If that was me telling you how to suck eggs, my apologies.

If I missed anything, then remember that free advice is sometimes worth what you paid for it. Hope it was helpful.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:24 pm

It can be done on the vehicle. Bearing is about $40 (nz). I made a simple puller, and put a thread the 3 holes in the clutch plate to m5 and use puller to pull those. If plate is on real tight then you may need to thread holes to m6. But if checkerheads right that the centres threaded to remove it'll be an easier job (follow his steps). Take care with the small spacer washers (in picture next to snap ring) as its easy to drop and loose.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Yeah your three small bolts rings a bell. I might be getting mixed up. One brand has the old bolt down the middle thing but I might be wrong on it being the Zexel ones.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Return to “Nissan”