Terrano Body lift problems.....HELP PLEASE

Moderator: Mark

FarmerDan
Winch master

Terrano Body lift problems.....HELP PLEASE

Postby FarmerDan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:13 pm

hi all newbie to this site.....

I bought a 1992 Nissan Terrano with the VG30e bout 3 months ago. I'm having a few issues; I bought it lifted and its put major stress on front steering and is a bloody awful ride. It has the following........
* 2" body blocks
* wound up front torsions
* longer shocks all round
* bigger coils I think (not sure how to tell)

the front left tyre is on the wicked angle on the tie rod but wheel is straight vertically but the right side is hard on a lean and has pulled 1 of the sway bar links out, it had a wheel alignment about 1 month ago as I put new tie rods and drag arm in for WOF.

when you hard turn it groans real bad and has a pretty bad wobble going on at 60km+ ( although I did notice tonight well underneath that the rear sway bar is moving so needs new bushes).

Was seriously considering taking it back to factory standards as it doesn't seem worth the hassle, iv had a lot of 4x4's before but never had a lifted 1 so a bit unsure what I should do????

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Terrano Body lift problems.....HELP PLEASE

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:50 pm

THis is partially giving you advice, and reprimanding you for driving an unsafe vehicle on the road.

if it is going to start pulling suspension links through the lower control arms there clearly something is seriously wrong with it.

When are you fella's going to learn to stop doing shit on the cheap.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1006803202

that will solve your camber and castor problems....

(shameless plug there) :mrgreen:

and a 2wd draglink and tie rods from a D21 Navara will solve your bump steer as it will correct the angle of the tierods to match the plain of the lower control arm.

then reindex your torsion rods instead of cranking them up, you have no or not enough down ward travel in the front suspension and it is compensating for it by droppping the whole corner of the truck into the bumps in the road causing the rear to shimmy around.

the mistral (the avatar to the right of this text) that those calmini UCA's on trademe right now just come off, was jacked up 3 inches on the suspension and still handled like factory at 100 kph. still had room to move up and down.

Do it once, do it right,
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

FarmerDan
Winch master

Postby FarmerDan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:05 pm

ok...

firstly I bought it lifted at a police auction for a looker for towing my quads and boat as iv got a d21 Navara for the hunting that's a bit gutless compared to the v6!

secondly with the camber problem aside, if I dropped out the body blocks and wound down the torsions but left the ass end higher for towing would that work better or should I still upgrade the steering as well???

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:10 pm

FarmerDan wrote:ok...

firstly I bought it lifted at a police auction for a looker for towing my quads and boat as iv got a d21 Navara for the hunting that's a bit gutless compared to the v6!

secondly with the camber problem aside, if I dropped out the body blocks and wound down the torsions but left the ass end higher for towing would that work better or should I still upgrade the steering as well???

if you just want a boat tower revert it all back to factory. heavy duty springs in the rear wont hurt it, but what it will require is a bit of trickery from your whell alignment technician to correct the castor from having its arse end up in the air. the higher the rear the more the castor needs to be rolled back to stop the sterring feeling (edgey for lack of a better term) . in other words the front bolt on the upper control arm needs to be shimmed more then usual

same thing happens to Solid front axle trucks after being lifted where the axle rolls forward and needs to be corrected by fitting castor correction bushes to the radius arms.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

FarmerDan
Winch master

Postby FarmerDan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:26 pm

hmmm well I think ill have a play around tomorrow and see how I go, I'm doing the clutch tomorrow as its got a heavy duty clutch in it and it bites like a bitch! which is a bit over kill.

I was just curious if the problem(s) were easily fixable and still able to leave as is, obviously not so will take back to standard or close to it!

I personaly don't see the point in lifting a truck other than looks unless ur seriously offroading with club trucks, as iv gone every where up the bush in my navara and never needed it lifted plus every bugger around here has hilux's and doesn't know f*ck all about terranos!

thanks for the info
cheers

Return to “Nissan”