QD32T Boost Compensator

Moderator: Mark

Carnage
Winch master

QD32T Boost Compensator

Postby Carnage » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Guys: I have a QD32T engine (QD32ETI but swapped the IP from a TD27T) the IP comes with a boost compensator as show in the following pic:
TD27T_IP.JPG

However I have no idea where does the boost compensator connect to (red circle in the pic), I know it should connect to the turbo/intake somehow, but right now I'm having it disconnected (so it's useless). Any guidance is most welcome.
Thanks for your help Guys.
Nathan from Chile

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: QD32T Boost Compensator

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 pm

For maximum gain you want the waste gate actuator plumbed to the inlet manifold so the pressure at the inlet manifold Has to reach the rate of the wastegate spring before opening. This will account for any pressure drop between the turbo and inlet ie. Intercooler and piping resistance. Your boost compensator diaphragm idealy wants to be plumbed into the turbo snail housing where the wastegate actuator hose would normally go....

By doing this it allows maximum fuel load in relation to minimum boost....

I.e. conventionally you would see a 2psi drop between turbo and inlet due to restrictions etc. By plumbing waste gate to furtherest point before entering engine the waste gate in theory won't open until the pressure at the runners is equal to the waste gate spring rating... However because the turbo needs to push 2-3 psi more in order to get true reading at the inlet the pump diaphragm will start to move earlier then normal because it is seeing the higher reading directly from the turbo.

Now if ya can understand that you'll realise why with no further explanation. Lol.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 pm

the down side of connecting it to the wastegate line is that it can over fuel for a little bit if its tuned fairy hard.
but biggest thing is if there is a leak downstream of the turbo.
for eg if you split a joiner (or an IC) you will be getting a lot less boost at the engine but the injection pump will be pouring in fuel for a high boost, so it will be over fueling the engine.

reliability wise your better off connecting it to the intake manifold.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:30 pm

If you had a leak downstream of the turbo running 15 psi you'd know about it and there would be a significant power loss...when it splits an intercooler core its hardly done a bit at a time and being ,2.7 pump with small plunger it will be lean anyway.

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Postby travis2ninja » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Carnage wrote:Guys: I have a QD32T engine (QD32ETI but swapped the IP from a TD27T) the IP comes with a boost compensator as show in the following pic:
TD27T_IP.JPG
However I have no idea where does the boost compensator connect to (red circle in the pic), I know it should connect to the turbo/intake somehow, but right now I'm having it disconnected (so it's useless). Any guidance is most welcome.
Thanks for your help Guys.
Nathan from Chile

How does the QD32T engine run with the TD27T injector pump?
Using QD32 Injectors on the TD27T pump?
Manual or Auto ? In a Navara, Terrano or something else?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:42 pm

It works fine as a substitute bolt n replacement. But as above it needs a little trickery to make it perform like the eti pump did...the advantage being the mechanical pump can be dialed up with ease.

Return to “Nissan”