Rolled Nissan terrano R3m

Moderator: Mark

Dalystar
Driver/Navigator

Rolled Nissan terrano R3m

Postby Dalystar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:31 pm

I posted last week how my terrano suffered engine over run. What a sight it was closing 4 lanes of traffic plus I only owned it 6 weeks.
I had a tough decision to make, get another truck around 6-8k which I can't really afford or engine replacement.
I found a terrano on trademe (insurance right-off)
I phone the mechanic yard it was stored at hoping I could get a little info and was lucky enough to speak to previous owner. (Works as a mechanic)
He said it was in mint condition before accident. Seem a good bugger. He rolled it when he hit black ice. He turned it off straight away and hadn't tried to start it since.
What should I do before I try to start old truck. Want to make sure it works before removing it and is it a massive job to replace engine (planning to do it myself with some guidance from a man who who's what he's at)

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Re: Rolled Nissan terrano R3m

Postby mumbls » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 am

Walk/Run away! Put it at the bottom of your list of possibles.

Unless you can hear it start from cold don't buy it. If you can't get to start it from cold, or the nice mechanic selling the rolled wagon, then its most likely going to be more trouble than its worth. If you really must buy this one then pull the glow plugs and remove any oil from the chambers before trying to start it.

Always assume the worst when dealing with unknown engines, as friendly as the sellers may be.
drinking hatorgade

Dalystar
Driver/Navigator

Postby Dalystar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 pm

mumbls wrote:Walk/Run away! Put it at the bottom of your list of possibles.

Unless you can hear it start from cold don't buy it. If you can't get to start it from cold, or the nice mechanic selling the rolled wagon, then its most likely going to be more trouble than its worth. If you really must buy this one then pull the glow plugs and remove any oil from the chambers before trying to start it.

Always assume the worst when dealing with unknown engines, as friendly as the sellers may be.

Yea it's a bit of a stab in the dark
Mechanic has already been paid out by insurance company so nothing in it for him.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:16 pm

I don't know anyone concerned, but if it were me in that situation, I'd let it be!

If he's a mechanic, and doesn't think it's worth his time to sell it as 'running' - then I'd be very suspicious.

I'm not sure how they're set up, apparently safaris can roll CCW safely (if they roll CW then the IP floods with oil and it's goodnight nurse).
I've rolled a digger (don't ask) and basically just disconnect fuel supply, pull the injectors/plugs (whichever is easier, or will spay oil in the best direction) and turn it over on the starter until the cylinders are "clear" - you will have a bit of extra lube in the head for a while!

So yeah, it's not a major, and if a qualified mechanic doesn't want to do it (surely a runner is worth 3x more than a wreck?) then that rings some alarm bells.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm

In case you don't know: hydraulic locking a diesel will result in snapped conrods, gudgeons, bent cranks, shagged bearings and all manner of expensive damage. So yes, seeing it running is a good start!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:41 am

Dalystar wrote:Mechanic has already been paid out by insurance company so nothing in it for him.

Come on! If it quacks like a duck....
drinking hatorgade

hemi265
Driver/Navigator

Postby hemi265 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:27 am

The way I read the post, he has already done the deal on the vehicle, and wants to make sure it runs ok.
The chances are it will be fine. Make sure you take all precautions outlined above to make sure it does not hydraulic. They make a real and serious caution!
Hopefully it did not run upside down for too long. It is possible you have bearing trouble. Maybe it is a good idea to try to run it for a while and also check oil pressure and listen for knocks that may develop, but really from what you are saying, it is likely to be fine.

Return to “Nissan”