Auto to Man Conversion

Moderator: Mark

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Auto to Man Conversion

Postby tuckertrucker » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi ORE
Well, its finally happened. My auto in my Y60 Safari is finally on its last legs. Ill be looking at a new trans within the next year and I've come to terms with that.
Ill be doing a manual conversion because if the cheaper cost to the auto recon, and I just prefer manuals.

Just lining up my holes now, what will be involved. I understand there is lots of fiddling with the pedals, and the floor plate. But otherwise its just swapping one really heavy gear box for another? Parts needed: trans, clutch, flywheel, clutch cylinders, etc etc.

Any suggestions or hints? Where to get parts from would be a great help. Im located just north or Kerikeri if that helps

Cheers all

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Re: Auto to Man Conversion

Postby MihiT » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 am

There's a guy who wrecks a few nismos in Kaitaia, can't remember what he calls himself, or Dave in maungatapere, Just 4x4s
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:45 pm

cheers mate, will put some feelers out

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:43 am

The other option, if it's not the cogs that are stuffed, would be a manualised valve body. Theres a crowd in Australia that does them for about $1500. Cheaper and easier, bolt-on fix.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:07 am

At a recent WOF we had to get clarification from LTSA. If you dont want the hassle of getting a cert/re-certifying - Make sure you don't touch the brake pedal, cut too much out of the trans tunnel, modify the cross member or cut the firewall (the 80 series had blanks in place where the various bits had to go through the firewall, so we cut those out rather than making new holes). Any one of these would cause you to need a cert.

For the 80, all the stuff that was put in was OEM, including the gearbox cross member. A manual one was used instead of modifying the existing.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:35 am

wjw wrote:At a recent WOF we had to get clarification from LTSA. If you dont want the hassle of getting a cert/re-certifying - Make sure you don't touch the brake pedal, cut too much out of the trans tunnel, modify the cross member or cut the firewall (the 80 series had blanks in place where the various bits had to go through the firewall, so we cut those out rather than making new holes). Any one of these would cause you to need a cert.

For the 80, all the stuff that was put in was OEM, including the gearbox cross member. A manual one was used instead of modifying the existing.

Yeah from what i can see it is pretty much a bolt on job. The only modification and fabrication might be the in the tunnel where the stick comes through. But there are blanks where the clutch and master cylinder goes

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:31 am

tuckertrucker wrote:
wjw wrote:At a recent WOF we had to get clarification from LTSA. If you dont want the hassle of getting a cert/re-certifying - Make sure you don't touch the brake pedal, cut too much out of the trans tunnel, modify the cross member or cut the firewall (the 80 series had blanks in place where the various bits had to go through the firewall, so we cut those out rather than making new holes). Any one of these would cause you to need a cert.

Yeah from what i can see it is pretty much a bolt on job. The only modification and fabrication might be the in the tunnel where the stick comes through. But there are blanks where the clutch and master cylinder goes

Same for me, we had to make the hole in the trans tunnel bigger to accommodate the stick
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Return to “Nissan”