1996 terrano TD27eti Valve clearance

Moderator: Mark

hemi265
Driver/Navigator

1996 terrano TD27eti Valve clearance

Postby hemi265 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi, just about to adjust tappets on the old terrano. Could someone please tell me what the clearances (hot) should be?

Also having a bit of a head scratch as to where the TDC marks are. I’ve found a notch in the crankshaft pulley but the matching marks on the motor are not that clear. There is a black plastic cover immediately behind the crankshaft pulley. Looking towards the front of the engine, there is a raised line on this black cover left bottom corner (drivers side) just above sump that runs on a angle towards the centre of the pulley. Could someone confirm whether this is the mark to use or other - cheers

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: 1996 terrano TD27eti Valve clearance

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:01 pm

.35 hot

Remove the cover from in front of the injector pump and turn engine till the single marked tooth on sprocket sits between the two marked teeth on the opposing sprocket and engine will be at t.d.c
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Use a piece of chalk and rub it on the teeth to help the marks stand out

hemi265
Driver/Navigator

Postby hemi265 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks, never thought to take pump sprocket cover off.
One thing that surprised me is how easy the engine is to turn over. Fairly big bar on it though, but thought I would see where the notch was on the pulley for the compressions, but you can hardly feel them. Should I be concerned? Yes it does start and run. :?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 pm

hemi265 wrote:Thanks, never thought to take pump sprocket cover off.
One thing that surprised me is how easy the engine is to turn over. Fairly big bar on it though, but thought I would see where the notch was on the pulley for the compressions, but you can hardly feel them. Should I be concerned? Yes it does start and run. :?

Nah...the day it gets hard to start then think about new rings but otherwise if it feels a little tired increase the boost a bit to compensate. It is probably getting a little worn now over 10 years by unless its starts pouring oil out the breather or smoking nothing to worry about. Good ole TD blocks last for ever.... Internals not quite so much. Lol

hemi265
Driver/Navigator

Postby hemi265 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 pm

ok, job done. Motor is pretty low mileage,had it now for 15 years, starts good, good power, and no blow by. I’ve run 2 of these over the last 25 years and this is the first time I’ve touched anything, and now I’ve done the job, it didn’t even really need doing...tappets were all consistent and only needed closing up around .05 - .10 mm. I don’t have any concerns with these engines, but just surprised how easy they are to turn over, I was expecting it to be harder.

By the way, I was lazy at finding the marks by pulling of pump cover, just ended up by getting front rocker on the rock and figuring that number 4 was at TDC, or close enough to. At worse the result would have been too much clearance, but the result is a nice quiet running engine, so I would suggest this may be a method worth considering for anyone else wanting to take shortcuts.
ps the notch on the crank pulley ended up being approximately around 10 o’clock, maybe 10:30, but I could not see in there too easily to see block marks, as there is a bit of stuff in the way like p/s pump etc. :D

Return to “Nissan”