TD42 no oil pressure!

Moderator: Mark

D17
Winch master

TD42 no oil pressure!

Postby D17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Have just Finished putting a turbo on my td42, took the feed from the plug by engine mount and removed sump to put in a oil return.
Started it with turbo oil feed line off to make sure there was oil, but nothing...
Oil light doesn't go out, have removed sender and cranked and nothing comes out, removed a filter and was more or less empty..
have tried to prime it by pumping oil in turbo feed line until it come out oil sender hole and cranked it for longer then I probably should have and still nothing.

Few weeks ago before I started the turbo conversion everything was fine.

After having a search seems like it's not uncommon but no one has an answer??

Cheers

Pighorn
Driver/Navigator

Re: TD42 no oil pressure!

Postby Pighorn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 am

Check the oil pick up tube isnt blocked or cracked. Ive seen a few ppl crack them geting the sump of or puting it back on. Also if you used silicone on sump the excess could be blocking ur pick up

D17
Winch master

Postby D17 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 am

Was pretty careful removing and installing the sump back and used very small amount of gasket goo on the new gasket.
But it's looking like I'll have to remove the sump again and check the pick up as you say it may have received some damage and that's looking like the only thing left to do..

Cheers

D17
Winch master

Postby D17 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Have just pulled the sump and pick up is still clean as.
Removed pick up to inspect for cracks and there's possibly a very tiny one around the flange not so sure that's the culprit though.. will braze the join anyway
Will get new sump gasket and refit still think the problems going to be there though..

Any other ideas?

Cheers

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 pm

How long are you cranking or running it for ?

D17
Winch master

Postby D17 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Cranked it for about 10secs then had it running for about 20secs then on and of for a bit trying different things.
Pulled the relief valves and cranked it for a bit and got nothing from them

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:11 pm

from memory there is a relief valve on the oil cooler too, but if the relief valve isnt bleeding oil when you crank i'd say the pump collar is broken.. the oil pump is driven off the crankshaft & cam drive gear in the front of the engine,

its not uncommon/unheard of for them to not build pressure for 30-40 seconds after start up if the aussie forums ar anything to go by on high km engines
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm

might sound odd, but what oil filters are you using?

D17
Winch master

Postby D17 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Is there away to tell with out removing the oil pump? I'll have a goood look at it tomorrow.

Is it possible the pump lost its oil from sitting and needs to be primed to get it going again? Is there away to get oil in there?

Filters are fram 2850 have been on truck for about 600ks and were on before started turbo conversion.

Cheers

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 am

Via the threaded portion of the oil filter fittings. Jam a super cheap funnel or hose and funnel and pour some oil down it. Its possible that it could be dry and wont pull oil up from the sump .

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm

When I give mine a service it usually takes a very nervously long time for the oil pressure to read and the oil light to go out properly as already said around the 30-45second mark if not a bit longer

D17
Winch master

Postby D17 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Got the sump back on, new gasket on pick up, poured oil in filter hole , sender hole and turbo feed hose with truck jacked up high at back to get oil to flow down to oil pump, fired it up and had oil pressure pretty much straight away...

Hopefully don't have that trouble again after the trucks been siting..

Finally got to take it for a quick thrash happy as with the turbo, should be better with a few adjustments...

Cheers

Return to “Nissan”