Mistral R20 Brake squeal

Moderator: Mark

Keltec
Driver/Navigator

Mistral R20 Brake squeal

Postby Keltec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Team, I am getting some horrendous brake squeal after changing my front discs and pads a wee while ago. It has done it since the very first day with the new bits fitted...

Now I have found a few threads about brake squeal, but they were about brake squeal when the brakes are applied. Mine is making noise when driving, it stops as soon as the brakes a touched even the slightest bit.

When I replaced my pads, one of the brake pad backing shims was rooted, so I didn't put it back in. Actually, I put it back together with the old shim at first, then it made the noise, so I took it apart and removed the shim, then I coated the back of the pad with copper grease. The clips for either end of the pads were ok ish...

I have called BNT to see if they sell a fitting kit for the pads, but they said No... I've had a google and look in ebay, but the fitting kits there only had the end clips, no backing shim.

So, you wonderful knowledgeable people, what should I do next?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Mistral R20 Brake squeal

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:17 pm

check your wheel bearings?

skim the rotors, mistral rotors are undersized for the wieght they are expected to stop. So glaze quite easily ...or run a sanding disc on a grinder around them lightly...
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Keltec
Driver/Navigator

Postby Keltec » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey Crash,

The rotors were replaced at the same time. All good quality Mintex stuff...

Wheel bearings are ok, I checked them not long ago. Gave them a grease and tighten.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Keltec wrote: It has done it since the very first day with the new bits fitted...

that narrows it down to the new parts you fitted, pull it all back down and check everything and compare everything to the old parts if they are still lying around on the shed floor :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Some brands of pads are hard compound and will take some time to bed in.

I prefer to use a softer compound pad and change them more frequently as it also saves the rotors
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Keltec
Driver/Navigator

Postby Keltec » Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am

Well after about 5,000kms the squeal isn't as bad but it is still there... I've had them apart a couple of time and still found nothing! :evil: Wheel bearings feel fine still too. I did suspect the wheel bearings at one stage because I noticed the squeal was worse if I was going to the right on a roundabout.

But you may be right about the pads being very hard Crash, the discs are already showing signs of wear. The wear is fairly even, apart from 1 narrow groove about 1mm wide, right in the middle of the disc. There wasn't anything jammed in the pad like a stone, so I'm not sure why it would wear like that?

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Id be looking for a stone in the outer housing, not in the pads. Somethings not right there

Return to “Nissan”