PTO drum play

Moderator: Mark

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

PTO drum play

Postby kiwibronco » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Guys I've just installed a PTO winch on my GQ Safari. Quick question. Now its mounted up (minus rope at the mo) the drum freespools fine. Its firm but i can turn it over without any issues. However if i grab the drum I get a little bit of front back movement e.g. if I pull or push on the drum I get a little movement. Is that normal. I guess I was expecting it to be like sitting within a snug bearing and therefore no play but it has a little bit. Just wanna check thats OK? Its not banging about but probably half a mm.

muddy
Hard Yaka

Re: PTO drum play

Postby muddy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:14 pm

If you mean rotational movement - it's just a little play in the free-spool engagement. Not a problem

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:59 pm

No this is not rotational movement. If I grab the drum and push/pull it, it moves slightly on the shaft. The freespool etc stays still but the drum has slight play. Not lateral e.g. sliding across or rotational but forward/backward. Not sure how else to describe it. Does the drum ride on the shaft on bearings as if so its like the bearings are worn that mount the drum on the shaft.

eins
Bush Crasher

Postby eins » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 pm

It is likely the bush in the mount at the free pool end is worn. It is a case of how much movement if it only 0.5mm should be OK. Grease it every trip you use the winch and should be ok

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Awesome thanks mate.

Return to “Nissan”