Non charging electrical problem solved !

Moderator: Mark

4x4rookie
Bush Crasher

Non charging electrical problem solved !

Postby 4x4rookie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm

I've had an ongoing problem with my Safari appearing not to charge - solved the problem now but thought I'd share the story as it may help others.

When starting the glow plug light would come on for a split second than go out, I'd kick the fuse panel it sometimes the light would appear for a split 2nd.

When truck started - within 5 minutes the volt meter would go down below 24 volts

Alternator checked by sparky and in working order

Batteries checked and they were fine to

Checked alternator when truck was running and it appeared overly hot (working hard charging)

99.9% sure I've found the problem - glow plugs staying on or similar draining all stored and generating power whist truck running

Checked the 2 wires going into the resistor poking into the air intake manafold and they seemed warmer than expected

Disconnected the plug to the resistor and started the truck - all charging fine and no longer draining the battery.

Stopped trucked and left for a while - tried to start and glow plug light only on for split second as usual

Swapped the glow plug control box below the fuse panel for a known working box

Tried to start truck - glow plugs now working as they should - truck charging etc as it should

The resistor is used in extra cold conditions to control glow plugs and is not necessary to run the truck

So......if you have a truck loosing power - try disconnecting the plug to the resistor - it may just be the problem !

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Re: Non charging electrical problem solved !

Postby catalystracing » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks for taking time to post, it is all helpful stuff. :mrgreen:

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: Non charging electrical problem solved !

Postby tweake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:11 am

the resistor will be for the after glow. they usually run the after glow until engine heats up.
it may not have been the control box. can also be the temp sensor (it will keep going if it thinks the engine is cold)
and can be the relay. the relay may have welded the contacts together .
so just keep an eye on it for a bit and make sure the problem doesn't come back.

Return to “Nissan”