R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Moderator: Mark

offroadfoz
Stropper
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 pm
Location: Dunedin

R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby offroadfoz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Contemplating buying some 31x10.5 Goodride SL366 for the Terrano. It's a G3M-R Ltd so has the lower diff ratio (4.083 vs 4.363 on the RS-R). Anyone running these tyres? Do 31" muds sap too much power or are they ok? Also wondering about the legality of 31" on an R50 - will they pass a WOF on the stock 15" alloys? If the 31's are too big I'll just get a set of 30x9.5.

Cheers

User avatar
J_Dub
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1673
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:02 am
Location: Pukekohe

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby J_Dub » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

In short mate your good to go.
I'm sure if you did some technical calcs you may see a change in fuel usage, but r50s suck a bit of fuel anyway. I've run 31" muds on a r50 no worries. Wof will be fine.
Buy the 31s and buy some manual locking hubs which will help with fuel use

offroadfoz
Stropper
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 pm
Location: Dunedin

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby offroadfoz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:53 pm

J_Dub wrote:In short mate your good to go.
I'm sure if you did some technical calcs you may see a change in fuel usage, but r50s suck a bit of fuel anyway. I've run 31" muds on a r50 no worries. Wof will be fine.
Buy the 31s and buy some manual locking hubs which will help with fuel use


I do a lot of highway anyway so with luck the taller tyres will reduce the revs at 100 and drop the consumption. Cheers for the reply.

User avatar
mudlva
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: fixing another cv!! dam lockers (Papakura)

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby mudlva » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 pm

offroadfoz wrote:
J_Dub wrote:In short mate your good to go.
I'm sure if you did some technical calcs you may see a change in fuel usage, but r50s suck a bit of fuel anyway. I've run 31" muds on a r50 no worries. Wof will be fine.
Buy the 31s and buy some manual locking hubs which will help with fuel use


I do a lot of highway anyway so with luck the taller tyres will reduce the revs at 100 and drop the consumption. Cheers for the reply.

it doesnt realy work like that.
larger tyre requires more effort to turn so although rpm is lower you may find you will use more fuel as the motor has to work harder to keep the tyres turning. when i ran 33's on my old cruiser it used 15% more fuel than the 31s and that was with a sbc v8 saddled into the engine bay, that said i do a huge amount of towing.

jm2cw

offroadfoz
Stropper
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 pm
Location: Dunedin

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby offroadfoz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 pm

mudlva wrote:
offroadfoz wrote:
J_Dub wrote:In short mate your good to go.
I'm sure if you did some technical calcs you may see a change in fuel usage, but r50s suck a bit of fuel anyway. I've run 31" muds on a r50 no worries. Wof will be fine.
Buy the 31s and buy some manual locking hubs which will help with fuel use


I do a lot of highway anyway so with luck the taller tyres will reduce the revs at 100 and drop the consumption. Cheers for the reply.

it doesnt realy work like that.
larger tyre requires more effort to turn so although rpm is lower you may find you will use more fuel as the motor has to work harder to keep the tyres turning. when i ran 33's on my old cruiser it used 15% more fuel than the 31s and that was with a sbc v8 saddled into the engine bay, that said i do a huge amount of towing.

jm2cw


Worked on my old Suzuki, running oversize tyres dropped the consumption. Not really too worried anyway, the Terrano usually does about 10 L/100km which is pretty good so a slight increase won't hurt me too much.

Had the 31x10.5r15 Goodride SL366 tyres fitted today, pretty happy with them. Much less noisy around town than the old Hankook RT03 tyres. No rubbing at full lock either, even on the OEM 15x7 alloys. Actual outer diameter is measured at 30.5" according to the seller. Interested to see how they wear, the Hankooks took forever to wear out.

User avatar
Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Towing a hilux

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:57 pm

They are a softer compound then the hankooks and will probably only last half of what the rt03's will also they will wear the shoulders out first.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 am
Location: manawatu

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 pm

running the factory rim has helped with the clearance, as even a small change in offset can cause rubbing on the front tyres once you go to a bigger diameter wheel.

offroadfoz
Stropper
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 pm
Location: Dunedin

Re: R50 31x10.5 MT tyres

Postby offroadfoz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:05 pm

At half the price of the Hankooks I don't mind if they wear faster! My old man had 265/70r16 Firestone Firehawk RVs on his 96 QD32 Regulus (pretty much a 16" metric 31/10.5) and they rubbed at full lock going downhill even on the standard wheels. Haven't had a chance to try these tyres in that situation yet, am going up the mountain this weekend so will see then.

Return to “Nissan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests