GQ Y60 TD42 Problem 1: Warm Air in Rear, Lukewarm in front

Moderator: Mark

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

GQ Y60 TD42 Problem 1: Warm Air in Rear, Lukewarm in front

Postby SaltireNZ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi all, this forum really helped me previously...thanks for that...now i have 2 more probs...
First: I cant get really warm air out the front heater. The rear heater produces much warmer air than the front which is lukewarm at best. The wife wears two puffer jackets in the front on clod days just to make the point...!
I had the main radiator replaced a few months back because it was severely blocked...like 90% blocked and wondering if my heater core is stuffed too? But then I can get warm air out of the rear heater - so does it run off a different heater core? or the same core?

Any sage advice before I start to drain the coolant and try flushing the heater core, followed by dash removal etc.??
Cheers All
Colin

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Re: GQ Y60 TD42 Problem 1: Warm Air in Rear, Lukewarm in front

Postby Smurf » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:57 pm

I would guess that your heater core and possibly the pipes to it are blocked, or the heater tap is stuck shut? Sounds like you have a second heater core in your centre console that heats the back, it will likely be partially blocked too

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

Postby SaltireNZ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks Smurf
I will have a go flushing the main heater core - if i disconnect the heater pipes at the firewall grommet can i attach a garden hose or such to the lower out let pipe and a waste pipe to the upper and reverse flush?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Yep, disconnect both the hoses going to/from the heater core and flush in both directions with the garden hose.
If the pipes from the engine to the heater core are blocked you may well want to flush them out as well if you can otherwise you aren't gaining a lot.

Return to “Nissan”