Nissan Terrano Overheating

Moderator: Mark

Dalystar
Driver/Navigator

Nissan Terrano Overheating

Postby Dalystar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi guys.
I have a Nissan Terrano which got an engine transplant just over 12 months ago. It has been running great ever since apart from one issue. It starts to overheat on slow steep climbs. This happened 12 months ago climbing a shingle track. Approx 20 mins steepish climb doing between 15-30km per hr. It has been fine ever since and no issuers driving for 4-5 hrs at time on roads and overhills etc. at Xmas it did the same thing climbing a shingle track. Again slow climb for approx 20 mins. Truck was fine after got down and I drove back from Nelson to chc without any issues. Tepm hand sits at midway. Coolant is fine etc.
I’m wondering could it have anything to do with the fan in the pictures below as I have never seen or heard it on. Started truck today and put aircon on and waited and still not on. Could this be the problem?
Attachments
CE686538-BF53-4EF0-98AB-45723B3FAECB.png
48A3A498-4C51-4821-8BBE-3D2A2E907B92.png
430492A1-FB4E-462E-B897-D2709E75EC80.png

Ryanthompson930
Winch master

Re: Nissan Terrano Overheating

Postby Ryanthompson930 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am

From my perspective, i would replace the thermostate with a genuine nissan one, replace waterpump and viscous fan, take the radiator in to get professionally cleaned or replace it with a new one. I put all new parts on my terrano qd32, i towed over 3.0 tonnes with it up a steep hill afterwards and didnt move on the gauge.. The fan your pointing at i belive is for the a/c to cool the condenser.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Ryanthompson930 wrote:From my perspective, i would replace the thermostate with a genuine nissan one, replace waterpump and viscous fan, take the radiator in to get professionally cleaned or replace it with a new one. I put all new parts on my terrano qd32, i towed over 3.0 tonnes with it up a steep hill afterwards and didnt move on the gauge.. The fan your pointing at i belive is for the a/c to cool the condenser.

Also it seems like every td27/42/32 owner mentions overheating worries...
A pretty common consensus I've found is that TDxx engines seems to run quite warm compared to other Japanese diesels of the same era, but this was understood at the time of its design, and compensated for by its extremely robust materials and construction. Hence it has a high heat tolerance, and for this engine, sustained 100 deg water temp is pretty standard and well within its engineering constraints. So looking at through the scope of, say, a a Toyota 1KZ or a Land Rover Tdi, for which the above sustained operations conditions could likely Lead to major damage/catastrophic failure, can imbue a false sense of paranoia.

In saying that though, of course it's good to keep the thing as cool as possible, a good aftermarket water temp gauge always helps, so you know exactly what you're working with.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm

if you are getting a new radiator, consider the Scarles terrano replacement, which is 52mm thick, compared to the factory 26mm. Increase in water volume and more heat sink volume is handy.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-pa ... 4f4bdf7c83

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 am

Might need a new viscous fan coupling, mine was having similar issues, replaced everything in the cooling system. Last thing I replaced was the viscous hub and that sorted it.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

Return to “Nissan”