Oil pressure TD42

Moderator: Mark

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Oil pressure TD42

Postby mudtroll » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm

I've recently put a new (2nd hand) TD42 in my truck & I turned it over with the fuel solenoid disconnected to get oil pressure up prior to starting it. Had the oil feed to the turbo disconnected so we could see the oil flowing. After cranking it over for ages the oil light was still on & no oil out of turbo feed. Pulled the filters off & they had no oil in them at all. Pulled the sump to double check pick up, all good. After talking to a few mechanics pulled the front off the motor to check the oil pump, luckily could do it without removing motor. Pump looked fine so packed it full of petroleum jelly & tried again. Still no oil pressure. :shock: In desperation my son suggested air pressure down the dipstick tube, oil light went out, oil at turbo feed :D . When I started it up oil pressure was good & no problems after that.
After possum palace winch comp the rear main seal decided to leak, very badly. It was replaced when the motor went in but maybe I screwed it up? Done them before so I not sure how'd mess that up, or maybe it was starting the motor when the truck was on its side to winch ( electric winch motor decided to die when needed the most).
So pulled the motor the replace the seal & when I went to start it again same thing, no oil pressure. Jammed the air hose down the dipstick, took a bit longer this time but got pressure up enough to start it.
Anybody got any clever ideas why this happening? I'm worried that every time I do an oil change I'll have the same issue.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: Oil pressure TD42

Postby coxsy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 pm

don't think all the oil galleries and oil cooler system drain completely
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Return to “Nissan”