ZD30 CRD experiences

Moderator: Mark

Colinl
Hard Yaka

ZD30 CRD experiences

Postby Colinl » Wed May 23, 2018 11:51 am

G'day Though I'd chuck a post here and give the forum another crack.

Recently went from a '94 td42t saf to a '10 ZD30 CRD patrol.

I got this as an stat write off from aus.

Anyways, heres a bit of info for those that may take the same plunge.

The '10 patrol is goddam much nicer to drive, quieter & comes with all the modern comforts.
Just changed out its first set of pads and brakes are much much better & larger than the safari.

Engine wise, the zd30 was pretty sluggish with factory tune so I had the ECU remapped at Xtreme tuning and produced much better power, drives like a 3.0 CRD motor should.
Note: You will get a standard uprated ECU map loaded in. They do not do custom dyno tuned maps. I recommend going piggy back chip to get a custom dyno tune done.

Fuel usage is the shocking bit, TD42T - 13 - 14 L/100km all day long, ZD30 - 16 - 20 l/100km depends on right foot.
Still trying to figure out why this is the case. (Both wagons on 33" tyres , lift, bull bar, snorkel yada yada.

I do enjoy not having to fix electrical issues, worn bushes, RUST, worn bearings, worn hinges, overheating issues (ZD30 rad is much bigger) and the list goes on.

I dont enjoy, expensive fuel filters ($120 plus per unit), shit fuel economy, developed the infamous patrol 80-100kph wheel shake, new shiny truck so cant go bush in it factor, same shit factory air box design choking the turbo, boost surge requiring dawes / tillix to control vacuum vnt turbo. anyone tried changing to positive pressure turbo smart one and use a bleed valve?

All in all I'm pretty happy with what I've got plus the patrol had twin tanks although this is negated with a thirstier motor, once i get this sorted I should have decent range when doing longer trips up and down islands.

timmay556
Hard Yaka

Re: ZD30 CRD experiences

Postby timmay556 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Almost a year to the day, I bought a 2014 Patrol ST ZD30 crd, I've owned many GQ's but no 4.2 GU's. The patrol drives mint, only ever so slightly shimmy at 100kph but I think a Ballance will sort that.
My fuel usage is about 11 on open road, I haven't owned it long enough to test the fuel usage around town.
Talk about creature comforts though! What an upgrade over a 23 year old GQ lol

All in all I like it, a lot.

Return to “Nissan”