Safari steering wheel removal

Moderator: Mark

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Safari steering wheel removal

Postby dangerous » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:55 pm

bloody hell... surely its not that hard LOL, so the padded center thing has blown out the sides so I need to get it off to tidy up, but it looks fixed from behind and I cant see how ya get to the fixing... help a safarian out guys???

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Re: Safari steering wheel removal

Postby johnny262 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Would've thought to be the same as the rest of em, pry the centre panel out of the top and you"ll see a big nut staring at ya.

The rough way of removing is to pull hard on the wheel while your mate/missus/neighbour smacks the shaft with a hammer (leave the nut on to protect the thread) - be warned, i've personally farked a steering box by using this method.

Or just buy a puller, pretty sure they're about $30 for a cheapy

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 am

johnny262 wrote:Would've thought to be the same as the rest of em, pry the centre panel out of the top and you"ll see a big nut staring at ya.

same... but peeping in under the center panel you can see its screwed in from behind, or should the hole thing pop out then you un screw, it looks like its this screw mount that has broken allowing the center panel to move out of position asnd rattle...

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:00 pm

undo the small screws from behind, the centre cover/horn should lift off allowing you to disconnect the horn wire. Then loosen the nut holding the steering wheel onto the steering shaft

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm

reposition my wheel straight, so many times the steering wheel just one yank and it's off , getting tine to put new box on it ,
but i used a quick knocked up gear puller to pop it off first time
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Return to “Nissan”