Alternator

Moderator: Mark

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Alternator

Postby kiwipete » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Does anyone have any advise on a suitable 80amp alternator I can put in my Terrano ('95 TD2.7 auto) with minimum effort. Was told by the AA auto rescue guy the 40 amp one is not be big enough for my current setup.
Had probs in the weekend with the battery not hacking the pace too well as I was running a lot of extra accessories, laptop, gps, prs radio, heater,driving and headlights etc etc. (Bloody cold and snow/sleet in Akaroa)
Will be in the market for a new battery too as the present one is the origonal as far as I can asertain.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

dctecho
Driver/Navigator

Postby dctecho » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:27 pm

I just need a bit more info late 95 is a change over year for the alternator,some have the vacum pump on the back and run a multi rib belt and I think the later one has no pump on the back and a standard vee belt setup. My shiney truck is a 96 td27 turbo and the later type and im running a 100amp alternator which is actually a standard fit on some model terranos that come with dual batteries.If you can give me that info or better still a part number off your alternator I will be able to help ya.

cheers scott

DieselDog
Winch master

accessories

Postby DieselDog » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:12 pm

I tend to have a problem with lack of battery energy when I run all my gear too. When I shift stock along the road or are on a breakdown the ute is usually parked up with the gyro running, quite a drain :roll: and when the RT and extra crud is eventually installed, including as many lights as I can get on the roof, I will have trouble.
To solve a lot of problems (and I dont know if this will help you) you can uprate the alternator as you say or even consider running Dual Batteries.
I have enough room in the engine bay to put in this setup and it has one major advantage, if you wire a relay into the circuit the right way you can charge and use both batteries (still 12v) while driving but when the engine is off you can use all accessories run off this extra battery to your hearts content without draining the battery used to start your rig. :wink:
If it aint broke, don´t fix it

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:55 pm

dctecho wrote:I just need a bit more info late 95 is a change over year for the alternator,some have the vacum pump on the back and run a multi rib belt and I think the later one has no pump on the back and a standard vee belt setup. My shiney truck is a 96 td27 turbo and the later type and im running a 100amp alternator which is actually a standard fit on some model terranos that come with dual batteries.If you can give me that info or better still a part number off your alternator I will be able to help ya.

cheers scott

Here is a couple of pics of the alternator, no visible markings or label on it sorry. The belt is a std v belt (notches on the inner part of it).
Image Image

As can be seen, it has the pump on the back of it.
I did end up getting a new battery for it tho. (17 plate)
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:00 pm

DieselDog, thanks for the reply.

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules ... opic&t=675 (All you need to know about dual batteries from within this forum).

This is something I too have thought of doing, would just need to move the air cleaner further back to get the 2nd battery mounted in, and make the associated brackets up for it all as the aircleaner was moved forward to accomodate the new snorkel connection.
Would like to see your setup when you finish it.
The LTSA has changed the laws regarding the amount of driving/spot lights you are allowed on a vehicle too. Might pay to check on that one before you get too carried away. :wink:
Ph 0212078472

dctecho
Driver/Navigator

Postby dctecho » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:42 pm

unfortunitly having the vacum pump on the back limits what you can fit,there is a universal replacement alternator to fit these 12volt 70amp output with the pump included but there quite expensive (about $450-$500)your alternator shares the same mounting dimensions as the early patrol TB42 motor,check out your local jap engine importers Ive found there normally quite reasonable on prices and I think the patrol alternators are around 70-80amp.Are you sure your existing alternator is only a 40amp unit ,this sounds very small and maybe it is a 70amp unit with a dead rectifier diode,may be worth checking out.
Fitting another battery is a good option just do it properly like the previous link discribes and use a good deep cycle battery,standard automotive batteries dont like being over discharged.
If you are planing on using or fitting an electric winch I would be looking for a bigger alternator.

cheer scott

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:16 am

Thanks for the info and advise Scott.
I will look at a 2nd battery sometime in the not too distant future.
As for the alternator, will also be getting it checked out to see that it is charging and operating as it should.
Dont wish to go down the lines of installing an electric winch, as I'm not a fan of them, although I have to admit they do have thier uses.

Cheers.
Ph 0212078472

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Dual batterys may not help. When using my truck for short periods of time with the engine running and using the electrics alot of the time without it running, the batterys never charge properly with the standard alternator.

One of the things I'm trying to find out is how many Amps my alternator is. I suspect there are two options for the Prado depending on whether it was factory fitted with dual or single batterys.

If you are running flat now, adding another battery won't help much, unless you are doing long distances in between, ie engine revs being over 2000.

Bear in mind, From flat it would take about 6 hours for a 40A alternator to charge both batteries, and thats providing you have no load :shock:
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:12 pm

Thanks Bill, points taken.

I only had the battery go flat the once, and I promptly replaced it as it was the origonal 10 year old one from Japan!

Was thinking of a 2nd battery (deep cycle) just for the accessories, main one for the engine etc.
Ph 0212078472

DieselDog
Winch master

Dual batteries

Postby DieselDog » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:57 pm

It is generally recommended to uprate the alternator as well and a deep cycle battery I think is the one you are after. Yes I am well aware of the lighting legislation, it has hit us quite hard, just about every truck (big ones) on the road has more than the new lighting laws allow and we are having to inform customers of this and some get quite ratty when you tell them they cant dress up the roof cones and bonnet grilles especially on the new trucks, but you are still allowed your head lights and driving lights. The extra lights I fit are generally mounted to a bar adapted to the roof rack and are used for shooting and checking the stock in the dark, and are never on the vehicle for the wof check, so dont worry! :wink:
If it aint broke, don´t fix it

Return to “Nissan”