a warning to southland and otago club members

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

a warning to southland and otago club members

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm

This is a warning
I am currently working to fix major safety issues on a club truck that competed in your trails competition for several years
It is a mirical that no one was hurt in this truck the cage is nowhere near to a safe level and the unsafe chassis repairs had they let go could have combined with the cage folded the truck around the occupants
This truck should never have been allowed to compete
Pics will follow soon
Could any members in these clubs please pass this thread onto those running these clubs

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Re: a warning to southland and otago club members

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Right I hope this works my Photobuckect account is useless now so I'm going to try and load these photos from my fb

this truck is based on an old LJ50 frame with 3rz motor mid mounted in it so HP has been increased from 25 to 150 the motor is mounted further back in the guts of the chassis instead of over the front leaf springs...... I would think something like this would incorrage a scrutineer to look a bit closer.... this is what I found when I took a closer look
First the dodgy connection of the A pillar rails to the B pillar..... not too bad if it was the only thing wrong

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Now this A pillar comes forward and down to a box section outrigger that goes back to the chassis

Looks not to bad untill you look at where this box section attaches to the chassis

to help you understand this, that photo looks down on top of the chassis rail the box section ends an inch away from the chassis and has two welds about 15mm long on the end to the edge of a butchered outrigger the rest of the panel is sheetmetal from the floor and the firewall

So what we have is a passenger A pillar that has less strenth than the average windscreen pillar!

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Now we get to the Drivers chassis rail.... on a positive note the box section support for the A pillar on this side was alot better and ran to the chassis and was angled to run along the outrigger so it has a weld about 100mm long along the side to attach it to the outrigger (still wouldn't have passed a NZ4WDA cage attachment rule but would have provided some measure of strength)
Problem is this repair on the inside of the chassis rail ...... just behind where the A pillar and the front radius arm mount (so a high load point in a roll over) this means it would fail under the driver within the safe area of the cage!

Please note this is a weld to replace a section of the chassis cut out to at a guess trial fit the trans and then welded back in. I polished this back to the chassis to make the holes visible to the camera.... there are areas where there are no holes that if I try I can punch a scribe through the weld!

Now I'm not having a dig at the quality of the build, it is what it is, the builder of this truck is obviously didn't know this wasn't safe and needed guidance and I am kind of sorry for posting this as it reflects on him badly
I am putting this out there so the clubs that allowed this truck to compete realize how dangerous there lack of scrutineering controls were and if there had been a serious accident they could have been held liable!

If someone can let me know this has been passed on to the people who need to see this and I'll remove this thread
Mike/Reece I'm sorry for using ORE to air this I only have a few days in country before I fly back to work and I feel this is serious enough an issue

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 am

just noticed this.. and cannot see any pictures ? im based in QT so can most likely help with forwarding this on and or get our guys to look closer in the future..

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Being that i know the vehicle, even without the photos... I dont doubt it. But in his defence... Ive seen this vehicle on its roof or side many times, so It must be good as gold!
mind you, you may likely draw a similar conclusion to my vehicle.. the cage is one of the only bits ive never played with.

Our scutineering is a tad more relaxed due to the generally less intence attitude of the trial. I have thought items on some vehicles were a tad lacking.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 am

be good if deranged could re upload them

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm

This is the inside of the drivers chassis rail cabin side of the "A" pillar

I on'y ground it back to hilight the holes in the welding.... it is a section that has been removed from the chassis (the bottom of the rail has be cut right across as well) to fit the gearbox as a trial fitment and then welded back in

So its an LJ80 chassis (very light to begin with) that now has the motor and box mounted in the middle of it, instead of at the front over the suspension and the motor has 5x's the HP

Where the A pillar attaches to the chassis on the passanger side, there was a box section out from the chassis that has the A pillar welded to it, This box section is welded to the an old cab mount with one inch long weld on the side of the box section and it doesn't even make it to the chassis

The other side is better in that the box section is long enough to reach the chassis and has one edge of the end welded to the chassis and more of the original chassis outrigger is welded to the box section ..... Still not compliant for any motorsport rules but better

Then there is the A pillar to the B pillar welding the tube to the outside of the B pillar is not allowed in any form of motor sport
that one I seen and noted it needed fixed before I ran the vehicle

Return to “Events”