4x4 Events

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

4x4 Events

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:04 pm

I just thought I would post my opinion and see who bites :twisted: :twisted:

I have been on a good behavior bond and haven't done it for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would seem that there is a trend emerging in both the north and south islands.

Competitor numbers are not there and events are being cancelled.

There's all sorts of theories as to why, mine being that these events no longer cater for the majority of 4wheelers out there, and as a result, unless you have some serious surplus cash you can't prepare a truck and compete at the event.

35 in tyres, suspension mods to suit tyres, diff locks, a fast winch, full roll cage, cert and WOF and REG, entry fee, time off work, fuel, spares, various club memberships etc etc all add up.

If your truck is set up as above, you might as well stay home. Its no fun winching entire stages because you sitting diffed out in the ruts :lol: :lol:

I reckon these events are now out of reach of the average 4x4 enthusiast in the current economic climate.

Out of all of this, a clear winner has emerged.

Teams tuff truck events.

These events seem to be aimed at your average 4x4 club member.

Your average 4x4 club Surf with muds, a couple of two hooks, and some minor mod's will do. Probably even do well if driven sensibly and in the right team.

As a result these events seem to be well represented. In fact you have to be in early otherwise you miss out!!

Take Monsters challenge at Woodhill for example.

Is the trend coming full circle were the modest club truck and average 4x4 enthusiast is were its at??

The representation at these events and the lack of attendance at others around the country speaks for itself :D :D

Thoughts??
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Re: 4x4 Events

Postby tallsam66 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Ive noticed generally things in all 4x4 are a bit quiet .
Money is tight everywhere at the moment especially in chch.
There is heaps of uncertainty down here , so many people are waiting to have there houses fixed or even to find out what is going to happen.The price of gas is at near record highs & people are just reluctant to spend at the moment.
The events that cater for a wider rang of people are always going to be better attended that those that cater for the "elite" simply for the reason a larger number can attend & have a chance of being competitive.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

tallsam66 wrote:The events that cater for a wider rang of people are always going to be better attended that those that cater for the "elite" simply for the reason a larger number can attend & have a chance of being competitive.

i think you have summed it up nicely there,
as in "the chance of being competitive"
national trials you need $50 to $70k to be up with the top ten and similar money for the winch challanges plus the fact that one has to keep it WoF legal

i just dont think average joe has that type of money at the moment (me included :( )

and althou it is the competition that one enjoys to compete in it also nice thinking that if the top fellas make a blue then theres a chance of being in the money (not that there is any money anyway)

anyway im still building my truck for the outlaw side of things and if management says no then it will be an awsome bush truck :D :twisted: :wink:

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I reckon you have hit the nail right on the head.

The Trials trucks have got so good now that the organisers are having to set some gnarly tracks just to challenge them. There is no way I would enter my 'multi-purpose' truck in one of these events (and I couldn't afford to build a competitive truck anyway).

I would have entered into a couple of the local Laurie Sanson club trials which were more tailored to club trucks but that's not an option anymore...

To be honest, I don't care about the scoring aspect. I'm just keen to get out and try something new and enjoy the social aspect of it (ie. countless hours of talking trucks and off roading).

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:45 pm

i can agree with what you are saying was in the club class last year
and done 5 South Island rounds, had fun was my first season,
but went to Wellington and the rules changed compaired to the Mainland challenge rules,don`t get me wrong i knew the rules were different
but that just one more reason there are less compeditors around.

there has been a mudplug cancelled that is the closest one we have to chch.
they even offered prize money ??
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Have to agree, its taken me ten years evolving my truck and its no way competitive for a full on winch challenge.
Monstr's Endurance event is within my reach for both $$$ and truck..
Also my experience level... :lol:
I reckon if you look at the early winch challenges they were not too different to this Easter event.
Oh how the times have changed...
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

For me personally, I can only ever enter the budget events, don't care about winning unless by accident except of course if we are doing well, and in the end I just want time in the seat and having fun. An event is an excuse to keep the right foot down and drive it till it breaks :mrgreen:

So yeah average 4wd events all the way for this pleb :wink:
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

PuddleJumper
Hard Yaka

Postby PuddleJumper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:07 pm

The Laurie Sanson fun trials were always good - You could enter in anything be it a full on trials truck or a WOFed shiny on AT's and still have fun... 8)

Drurban
Hard Yaka

Postby Drurban » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Iam for anything that includes just the average 4x4 most of the events I have seen are like for the winch challanges or trials, but as these days it all comes to how big your wallet is, and as for some of us we dont have the surplus to use.

But the team event is great, would of liked to be in the Woodhill endurance event but maybe next time.

Cheers.
1997 Isuzu Mu, 3.1TD, 5sp Manual.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 pm

kbushnz wrote:Have to agree, its taken me ten years evolving my truck and its no way competitive for a full on winch challenge.
Also my experience level... :lol:
I reckon if you look at the early winch challenges they were not too different to this Easter event.
Oh how the times have changed...

Sorry Calvin

even the earlier winch challanges distroyed their trucks by the time the competetors had finished the weekends
i have seen some real nice trucks start on the friday and were just about unrecognisable by sunday afternoon

and its not just the hazards either as all common sence flies out the window once the start whistle blows, that and the notion that yes we can drive this because thats were the pegs lead us so we most go mind set leads to even more possible damage

all in good fun of course :lol:

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I didn't enter in the Pucker Park event as it was on Easter weekend and me and the family had plans. I was gutted to hear it was pulled all the same. But i heard others that might have entered were already doing the teams event the week after, so they wanted to save their trucks for that event.

As far as being in events and giving your truck death? I guess I'm boring to watch compared to how the fellas ride up north. In fact, I know i am. I try and finish an event instead of putting it on the trailer half way through. Oh and learning lots along the way is where I get the most fun.
Watching those guys up north compete was awesome!!

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 am

kbushnz wrote:Have to agree, its taken me ten years evolving my truck and its no way competitive for a full on winch challenge.
Also my experience leve.

X2
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

and most "teams" events are far less "governed"
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

mike77
Hard Yaka

Postby mike77 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 pm

From knowing absolutely nothing about competitions ....... this conversation reminded me a tv show I saw showing a competition in the outback of OZ,

All hacks, demo derby style wagons, Red mud, and a track that reseambled an oversize BMX track, and any of these machines flying over jumps etc.
I'm sure there was even an under $1k class - or similar to.

Now that was something that would make the mullet in every man stand on end!

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 pm

petefj40 wrote: I guess I'm boring to watch compared to how the fellas ride up north. In fact, I know i am.

Watching those guys up north compete was awesome!!

dont be so sure Pete, we now have a carpark named after you at Rallywoods, so you must of been entertaining enough for us to drive past a spot and smile coz we know its 'PeteFJ40's park' :lol: :lol:

and some of the stuff you southern guys did up here was awesome to watch too :wink:
can't say I seen too many winch trucks driving on 3 wheels like sprintcars before :wink: :mrgreen:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Apart from the winch challenge round we had at Pucker Park last year all of our Mudplug type challenges have been setup for average Joe in an average truck. We planned it so that the stages would be no harder than a good day down at the river, probably easier, but abit more technical. Definitely nothing like the Sheffield Mudplug which realistically has become more of an elite event. Apart from our first event where we had over 40 entries we have struggled to get more than 20 for our events since. At the time we pulled the easter event we had 2 definite entries and no real interest. Even on this forum our first event had over 5000 views whereas our last one had about 900. I don't know why things have changed so much, i doubt if its the earthquakes cause the Sheffield event last year was fully booked out and its way more hardcore than any of ours. The Park costs us $7000 per year just for the rent, without allowing for any development. The entry fees paid normally cover the cost of prizes etc but unless we get competitors we can't charge spectators to come and watch which is how we pay the rent. Without the support of the 4wd fraternity the park won't be around for much longer thats for sure
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I can't speak for the others Jase. But because the last event planed was on a public holiday I had other family commitments. Otherwise I was keen.
I've entered almost all of the events you've had there. It would be sad to see you guys loose that park. You all have put so much effort into it.
It's a pitty you can't charge spectators an entry fee to cover some costs.
I think the timing of the other teams event the week after has put a few off from entering also. That's what I've heard anyway. Timing has a lot to do with it I recon.

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 pm

We appreciate your support Pete and there are a few others that have been regular competitors at our events, same goes for marshalls etc its seems to always be the same lot (the Suzuki club have been awesome) and we do charge spectators but they have to have something to watch aye :wink: Maybe we didn't realise how much the long weekend would effect us
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I would have made the trip down to Hanmer, but Easter is traditionally a 4wding/camping weekend for us. I think it is the same for a lot of guys, one of the few long weekends we get that gives us a chance to get away for a longer period.

sstewart
Winch master

Postby sstewart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 pm

rallywoods is booked for the 6 7 8 9 april phone steve 0274389784 to come and de stress yourselves all welcome ciao

surf10
Hard Yaka

Postby surf10 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Dont know if its been thought of before ( resonably new to the 4x4 comp scene) what about a series? have a bunch of challenges heaps of different classes ( i know it would be hard to accommodate club truck to full on winch trucks but some where in between)

have points build up aver all the events. prize giving and prizes at end of last event.

just my 2c i dont want to see comps ending before i get my trucks finished

Gnarly Dude
Bush Crasher

Postby Gnarly Dude » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Think the idea of the XXL BMX track budget racing would be cool really sucessful in Aus http://www.a4wdmra.com.au/. Seen this event in Au(again) called son of trials, more family friendly event more aimed at drivers skill rather than how good your truck is e.g competing moderate tracks with a magnetic dog bowl with a golf ball inside on your bonnet. http://www.nissanpatrolclub.org/son_of_trials.php :)

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:43 pm

going by the sucess of the Kiwi 2012 at RW this weekend the fun teams event seems to be a winning formula... and now that Costa doesnt clash thats 2 great teams events in the Lower NI to attend!

thats not to say there wasnt any blown lexus or V6 commys or autos or diffs or steering components :twisted:

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm

the central zone club truck challenge is up and running with a lot of support from most if not all of the central zone clubs, It's basically like an interclub club champs event but for everyone to have a go at. Run as 3 classes, open diff, basic modified( meaning factory traction aids, slip diff etc) and modified I think the last one is, which is for aftermarket lockers and or steering brakes on one set of wheels only, all vehicles entered must have a warrant of fitness and be registered for road use, ( so no rally trucks). There is 5 rounds set to go for this coming season. There is a round this weekend in Masterton, will post details here when I find them.

cheers
Greg

here is a link to other thread about CZ Challenge

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30292&hilit=central+zone
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

Jungle
Hard Yaka

Postby Jungle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:51 pm

DieselBoy wrote:I just thought I would post my opinion and see who bites :twisted: :twisted:

I have been on a good behavior bond and haven't done it for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would seem that there is a trend emerging in both the north and south islands.

Competitor numbers are not there and events are being cancelled.

There's all sorts of theories as to why, mine being that these events no longer cater for the majority of 4wheelers out there, and as a result, unless you have some serious surplus cash you can't prepare a truck and compete at the event.

35 in tyres, suspension mods to suit tyres, diff locks, a fast winch, full roll cage, cert and WOF and REG, entry fee, time off work, fuel, spares, various club memberships etc etc all add up.

If your truck is set up as above, you might as well stay home. Its no fun winching entire stages because you sitting diffed out in the ruts :lol: :lol:

I reckon these events are now out of reach of the average 4x4 enthusiast in the current economic climate.

Out of all of this, a clear winner has emerged.

Teams tuff truck events.

These events seem to be aimed at your average 4x4 club member.

Your average 4x4 club Surf with muds, a couple of two hooks, and some minor mod's will do. Probably even do well if driven sensibly and in the right team.

As a result these events seem to be well represented. In fact you have to be in early otherwise you miss out!!

Take Monsters challenge at Woodhill for example.

Is the trend coming full circle were the modest club truck and average 4x4 enthusiast is were its at??

The representation at these events and the lack of attendance at others around the country speaks for itself :D :D

Thoughts??

I must have been on good behaviour too.

Can't say i agree with Dieselboy at all. Our winch challenges have always had good numbers. The tracks that we run are generally acheivable by the middle of the road comp truck. We don't end up with a long list of dnf's at the end of each stage.

The only reason we canned our event for 2012 was lack of enthusiasm to run it. It's called taking a break.

I wouldn't mind some feedback though.

Were the competitors generally happy with the 2011 event?

Would they want another one in 2013?

Did you find the public presents acceptable?

Were the prizes good enough?

Do you appreciate getting t shirts and mugs?

Did you like the site we ran from?

And any other feedback you can think of. The cost of the event was and has been $270 a truck every year. This didn't cover the cost of the event. So before you ask for a cheaper entry fee, think about how we could save on costs. And before you suggest cutting the catering. The caterer took their cut as a % of what they sold to the public.

Cheers

Jungle

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Jeezus, I thought my stab in the Hornets nest had failed, but 4 months on the thread comes back to life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder who else will emerge from the wood work to offer their 2cents :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Jungle
Hard Yaka

Postby Jungle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah, I've been on good behaviour.

I reckon mine is more than 2 cents worth. At least its based on actual experience not just opinion!

Jungle

rotordogg
Hard Yaka

Postby rotordogg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:03 pm

badnuz wrote:going by the sucess of the Kiwi 2012 at RW this weekend the fun teams event seems to be a winning formula... and now that Costa doesnt clash thats 2 great teams events in the Lower NI to attend!

thats not to say there wasnt any blown lexus or V6 commys or autos or diffs or steering components :twisted:

Yip, Rallywoods was awsome, But I for one won't support Costa if there gonna exclude trials trucks...
It's just more fun in a lada !!

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 am

rotordogg wrote:
badnuz wrote:going by the sucess of the Kiwi 2012 at RW this weekend the fun teams event seems to be a winning formula... and now that Costa doesnt clash thats 2 great teams events in the Lower NI to attend!

Yip, Rallywoods was awsome, But I for one won't support Costa if there gonna exclude trials trucks...

exclude trials trucks? I would have thought rather than exclude trials trucks just throw them in another class, If your truck has competed in trials in a certain class in the last year or so then your in a particular class. Obviously those poor buggers in A class would be exempt :wink: Then there could be a national teams series for trials buggies :mrgreen: I have to say watching the team of buggies at costa one year work as a well oiled unit getting their trucks through in a 1/10th of the time of standard trucks was more fun than watching the trial the other day in Auckland. Performance over three vehicles and the navies running around like lost chickens negates the advantage of high performance trucks to some degree, thus evening the competition out somewhat. Winch comp navies should be inherently better than trials navies at running around and trials drivers should have a more technical approach to extreme terrain which levels the playing field in my humble opinion.

just my 20c [edited for mr ARB :mrgreen: ]
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:24 pm

when will people learn, THERE IS NO 2c anymore :lol: :lol:

fyi word is Costa are looking at single truck event as well as the teams one next year... different part of the year thou to the teams one...

- Jungle, the numbers at RWC were small compared to prevoius years, and that included half the feild being entered in "club class"

- as wrnglr pointed out the CZ zone series is a big hit and more events like that (i guess based on laurie sanson from years prior) seem to be getting more and more popular....

with more and more challenge class 4x4s now doubling in offroad racing, and some of the top end competitors switching to just off road racing maybe its time to revisit the formula some more??

my 10c

Return to “Events”