Sheffield 2013...

callum007
Hard Yaka

Re: Sheffield 2013...

Postby callum007 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 am

Less competitors means fewer I have to beat.... a 20 vehicle field is a good size down south.. 50 vehicles would make it a busy day wouldn't it.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 am

Just got off phone with nev 14 trucks so far .. Making a call Monday night re canning event ... Told me to post his number re any questions ... Nev ...033183818
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:11 am

yeti wrote:Just got off phone with nev 14 trucks so far .. Making a call Monday night re canning event ... Told me to post his number re any questions ... Nev ...033183818

Did you talk to him about the course?
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 am

wjw wrote:
yeti wrote:Just got off phone with nev 14 trucks so far .. Making a call Monday night re canning event ... Told me to post his number re any questions ... Nev ...033183818

Did you talk to him about the course?

Yep ...jeep friendly he said ..any questions just ring him .. Said they have made some changes but best talk to him ..

mylux
Shockless

Postby mylux » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:40 pm

If I can get the Shitta going I will enter :shock:
Can you compete with a broken window :?:
Outta the way sheep shagga !!!!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 pm

take em all out rich be easier mate...and yep ya can....

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Postby Still Unbroken » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Ok, Straight from the horses mouth....
An email to me from Nev after viewing these pages-

" We are really sorry we have up set so many people it makes you think is this type of Mud Plug worth running when you get so many negative comments. The course this year will be a little easier and more suitable for club trucks. But we can not control the depth of the water. As we have said if in doubt dont do the hazzard, at the end of the day every one recieves a prize. This is ran at a family spectator event not a family vehicle event. We really appreciate all the support we recieve but find it is getting impossible to please every one. If you have any questions please phone me on 021 650=554. Thank you.
Nev Croy
Chief Fire Officer
Sheffield Volunteer Fire Brigade"

Remember people, this is a fundraiser for a very worthwhile cause and they put a lot of work in to make it a good day.
As with any event, it is almost impossible to please everyone but remember the key word "FUNDRAISER", it's not a full on comp, just bragging rights :)
Put your entries in and lets support the people that put their lives on the line to help us out when we need it.

Cheers
Andrew
Last edited by Still Unbroken on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mck
Driver/Navigator

Postby mck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

jeep friendly??, do they have a workshop,hoist and lots of spare parts...

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 pm

mck wrote:jeep friendly??, do they have a workshop,hoist and lots of spare parts...

haters be hating john boy .......enter ya truck fella.. :wink:

chopdpatrol
Bush Crasher

Postby chopdpatrol » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:03 pm

can we pay online? currently trying to replace a motor in time to enter

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Postby Still Unbroken » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Give Nev a call and confirm your entry, he will either give you bank details or you can pay on the day.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Still Unbroken wrote:Ok, Straight from the horses mouth....

" We are really sorry we have up set so many people it makes you think is this type of Mud Plug worth running when you get so many negative comments. The course this year will be a little easier and more suitable for club trucks. But we can not control the depth of the water. As we have said if in doubt dont do the hazzard, at the end of the day every one recieves a prize. This is ran at a family spectator event not a family vehicle event. We really appreciate all the support we recieve but find it is getting impossible to please every one. If you have any questions please phone me on 021 650=554. Thank you.
Nev Croy
Chief Fire Officer

Remember people, this is a fundraiser for a very worthwhile cause and they put a lot of work in to make it a good day.
As with any event, it is almost impossible to please everyone but remember the key word "FUNDRAISER", it's not a full on comp, just bragging rights :)
Put your entries in and lets support the people that put their lives on the line to help us out when we need it.

Cheers
Andrew

I was really pleased to read your post Andrew. Nothing better than reading it from the horses mouth as it were.

You pointed out, "negative comments".

I'm typing out this response from a mere amateur view. I've only done 2 or 3 Sheffield Mud Plugs and a couple of seasons of winch challenges. During that short time I've been lucky to meet some people into the 4X4 scene and respected their opinions of courses and challenges they have faced.
Putting it bluntly.
Tim (Hosehustler) and Bob (QUADRACER) words and others here on stating how things have changed with this event over the years is very real. The course and rules have to change to make it more of a club truck "fun day" challenge.

We all LOVE this event. It would be sad to hear it canceled.
But it being a, "fundraiser" should mean it's more of a fun day for club trucks, not an event for rigs that are built for roll overs.

Just my 5c worth.
(throws his flame suit on)

It must be said.
We all appreciate the awesome work you volunteers do for your local fire service.
Me and so many others take our hats off to you all.
Last edited by petefj40 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 pm

petefj40 wrote:
Still Unbroken wrote:Ok, Straight from the horses mouth....

Nev Croy
Chief Fire Officer

Cheers
Andrew

I was really pleased to read your post Nev. Nothing better than reading it from the horses mouth as it were.

You pointed out, "negative comments".

I'm typing out this response from a mere amateur view. I've only done 2 or 3 Sheffield Mud Plugs and a couple of seasons of winch challenges. During that short time I've been lucky to meet some people into the 4X4 scene and respected their opinions of courses and challenges they have faced.
Putting it bluntly.
Tim (Hosehustler) and Bob (QUADRACER) words and others here on stating how things have changed with this event over the years is very real. The course and rules have to change to make it more of a club truck "fun day" challenge.

But it being a, "fundraiser" should mean it's more of a fun day for club trucks, not an event for rigs that are built for roll overs.

Just my 5c worth.

It must be said.
We all appreciate the awesome work you volunteers do for your local fire service.

I agree with Pete, (said that out loud too)
None of the comments need to be taken as negative, they indicate a lot of people are put of by the hardness of the courses, so take it into consideration, these are the punters offering their opinions. :D
I've never attended this event but if I was local I would like to, but for fun, not to put my truck on the line.
But at the level it is now, I'd be a spectator rather than enter, as I need my truck the next day for work.
End of the day, you need the trucks entered to put on your fundraiser, no point in scaring the trucks/drivers off, as they are the draw cards for the spectators who line the coffers.
Spectators will still get a good show with less challenging sections, If they see how capable a club truck is without incurring damage, they are more likely to be drawn to the sport for the fun/challenges, but may be put off by the extremes (which they are happy to watch)
A fun day doesn't need to have massive challenges or be damaging to the trucks.

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Postby Still Unbroken » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for the input, hopefully Nev will read these and take it onboard, or give him a call direct - I'm sure he would like the feedback.

All I'm trying to do is encourage people to enter...
I did Sheffield last year for the first time, zeroed the morning, put my truck on it's side and didn't complete any in the afternoon - still came fifth...
My rolls had more to do with driver error than anything else so I don't blame anyone else.
I feel that the small amount of time I had to spend getting the truck fixed (mud in snorkel) is nothing compared to the huge amount of time these volunteers spend looking after us.

Andrew

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Smurf wrote:
petefj40 wrote:
Still Unbroken wrote:Tim (Hosehustler) and Bob (QUADRACER) words and others here on stating how things have changed with this event over the years is very real. The course and rules have to change to make it more of a club truck "fun day" challenge.

Just my 5c worth.

It must be said.

I agree with Pete, (said that out loud too)
None of the comments need to be taken as negative, they indicate a lot of people are put of by the hardness of the courses, so take it into consideration, these are the punters offering their opinions. :D
I've never attended this event but if I was local I would like to, but for fun, not to put my truck on the line.
But at the level it is now, I'd be a spectator rather than enter, as I need my truck the next day for work.
End of the day, you need the trucks entered to put on your fundraiser, no point in scaring the trucks/drivers off, as they are the draw cards for the spectators who line the coffers.
Spectators will still get a good show with less challenging sections, If they see how capable a club truck is without incurring damage, they are more likely to be drawn to the sport for the fun/challenges, but may be put off by the extremes (which they are happy to watch)
A fun day doesn't need to have massive challenges or be damaging to the trucks.

Smurf just hit the nail smack bang on the head as far as i'm concerned, I used to do the occasional 4wd challenge until the organisers started thinking that courses designed to put vehicles right on the verge of roll over or water ingestion would be better for public attendance.

Like Smurf and probable lots more people my 4wd gets used daily so I can't and won't stuff it up by pushing the boundaries in a fundraiser or competition. Admittedly the crap can hit the fan when out wheeling on a club day and thats the risk we take.

At last years event I don't know how more vehicles didn't roll...sheer luck and pedal to the metal I suspect, 2 of the obstacles were borderline and in fact one of them lead to a rollover in which the driver or navi wasn't pulled from the water for a couple of minutes.

mylux
Shockless

Postby mylux » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 pm

yeti wrote:take em all out rich be easier mate...and yep ya can....

Good times :D
Looks like I'll be there :D
Outta the way sheep shagga !!!!

PigFmr
Hard Yaka

Postby PigFmr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Still Unbroken wrote:Thanks for the input, hopefully Nev will read these and take it onboard, or give him a call direct - I'm sure he would like the feedback.

I did Sheffield last year for the first time, zeroed the morning, put my truck on it's side and didn't complete any in the afternoon - still came fifth...
My rolls had more to do with driver error than anything else so I don't blame anyone else.
I feel that the small amount of time I had to spend getting the truck fixed (mud in snorkel) is nothing compared to the huge amount of time these volunteers spend looking after us.

Andrew

barnsy ???

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Postby Still Unbroken » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 pm

yeah mate :)
Is the GU ready or do you have to navie for me?

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:40 pm

So what's going on?
How many have entered?
6 days to go.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

PigFmr wrote:
Still Unbroken wrote:Thanks for the input, hopefully Nev will read these and take it onboard, or give him a call direct - I'm sure he would like the feedback.

Andrew

barnsy ???

Aaaah...barnsy! :lol:

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Postby Still Unbroken » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 pm

It's all go for this Sun!
20 confirmed entries apparently .

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am

Still Unbroken wrote:It's all go for this Sun!

AWESOME!
I'll be there.

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 am

great news, it's a good fundraiser for the volly's :P

I rang Nev and had a constructive conversation about the comments I had posted and comments others in the 4x4 scene have been making over the years and how best to ensure a good competitor base for the event.
The organizers are listening and this years event will be altered somewhat from the past few to suit the type of entries they have received, the problem is the course will be a bit easy for the competition trucks so some harder tracks will be available for them :mrgreen:
I also chatted with him in depth about the 100points for stopping/reversing rule as I feel this is what has caused several of the unnecessary rollovers of some club trucks over the years, if they could put their trucks into a position which they are happy to attack an obstacle without being penalised then some rolls wouldn't occur as what they have are doing is just risking it to avoid the penalty and sometimes the result is a roll, spectators with a club truck of their own watching, thinking "i'll give this a go next year" go "fark that" and all of a sudden, no competitors :?
Anyways, as I say this year has sparked some change to ensure a future for the event let's hope as it's the only one run like this in the area and it's a great cause :P
Tim
I hate signatures

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:26 am

hosehustler wrote:

great news, it's a good fundraiser for the volly's :P

I rang Nev and had a constructive conversation about the comments I had posted and comments others in the 4x4 scene have been making over the years and how best to ensure a good competitor base for the event.
The organizers are listening and this years event will be altered somewhat from the past few to suit the type of entries they have received, the problem is the course will be a bit easy for the competition trucks so some harder tracks will be available for them :mrgreen:
I also chatted with him in depth about the 100points for stopping/reversing rule as I feel this is what has caused several of the unnecessary rollovers of some club trucks over the years, if they could put their trucks into a position which they are happy to attack an obstacle without being penalised then some rolls wouldn't occur as what they have are doing is just risking it to avoid the penalty and sometimes the result is a roll, spectators with a club truck of their own watching, thinking "i'll give this a go next year" go "fark that" and all of a sudden, no competitors :?
Anyways, as I say this year has sparked some change to ensure a future for the event let's hope as it's the only one run like this in the area and it's a great cause :P
Tim

Great News Tim, shame wife already has plans for us :-(
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

chopdpatrol
Bush Crasher

Postby chopdpatrol » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:42 pm

well i was hoping to enter but cant get the patrol running right and land cruiser will just love getting stuck :(

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:41 pm

wjw wrote:Great News Tim, shame wife already has plans for us :-(

Bill. Seriously, if you aren't there at this years Sheffield with your keen as kids? It won't be the same. Change the wife's plans (ffs). This is an annual event you shouldn't miss. AND you know it.
I'm really looking forward to it.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I might pop out for a look see if the truck is ready, and weather depending...........
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:19 pm

ive arranged a leave pass from the mrs and will miss most of the granddaughters birthday to go

hate to see what the repocussions are guuuulllllp

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 pm

If its still running after sats run ill be
there..so really im a 50/50 :

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 am

Between now and Sunday it doesn't look like it'll be too wet. Though rain is forecast for Sunday. Can't see any reason for it to be canceled.

So who on here is going?

Return to “Events”