Charity Run Manawatu 21st August

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Charity Run Manawatu 21st August

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi guys and girls.

Here is the confirmed details about the “Regan’s Run” charity funds raiser event run by the Levin 4wd Club to raise funds for the Ronald McDonald house charity to say thank you for the help that they gave Regan’s parents during their time in need.

As advertised we plan to start at 9.00am on Sunday the 21st August so it would be good if you were there from 8.30am onwards for registration ($30.00 fee per truck payable by everyone) and briefing so we can start as near as possible to the advertised start time.
We will meet out at the start of the McKenzie trail at Foxton Beach at a point just east of the houses on Cousins avenue where it joins Palmer Road. There is plenty of parking along the side of the road on the grass verge and well away from the houses a bit further up the road so we can all meet without annoying the locals in their houses.
After registration we will convoy QUIETLY down the road and through the gate so as not to disturb the locals that are kind enough to allow us access to this area.

Things you will need to know. At all times you are to obey the instructions of the trip leaders that will be guiding you on this trip. The track is in a moderately tuff state to drive. That means that some of the hill climbs and ridges that we are driving over have a degree of difficulty above “Shinny”. There are a couple of places where there is an easier route around difficult hills and you are welcome to take either option based on the ability of your truck and your driving skills. These options will be pointed out to you as we approach them. In the middle section there is a portion of deep water that we have no option but to drive through as there is no alternative route around it. The water is approximately 1 to 1.1 metres deep and was just starting to flow over the top of the bonnet of my Mitsubishi Pajero last weekend. This is ground water which is there because of a high water table at the moment and although I am not expecting it to get any deeper during this week it also probably won’t go down much until the water table recedes later in the winter. You will need snorkel’s or sealed intakes higher than 1.2 metres from the ground or you will hydraulic your engine. I do not want to be trying to recover dead vehicles from there as it will be very difficult to recover them. If you have a petrol vehicle then please make sure your ignition system is well waterproofed. We all drove through it in both directions last weekend and survived but if you have doubts of you or your vehicles ability to do this then sorry this is not the trip for you. Preferably tow hooks, but well mounted shackles are ok and must be fitted to both ends of your vehicles or you won’t be coming on this trip. A spade or a shovel may also be a handy tool to have with you along with a suitable jack and spare tyre. It would be appreciated if you have your own snatch strops that we can tow / rescue you with if needed. A medical kit and fire extinguisher in your vehicle is also important. You will need to bring you own food and refreshments (NO ALCOHOL). There are also some places depending on your driving skill where you may get some light brush / bush scratches. We will be using PRS radios for communications, hand held PRS radios are fine, and would be really good if you have one as we can give you instructions much easier via radio as we travel through the track.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit daunting but if you are a regular 4wder then it is not all that bad. My only worry is for the, and no insult intended, the “townie 4wder” may find it a bit too tuff. Don’t worry if this is you as we will look at running another Charity fundraiser if there is enough interest a bit later in the year when hopefully the track is a bit more user friendly to your trucks. We need to be a bit tough on the standard of trucks on this one as recovery of dead trucks is not easy in there and I really want everyone to have an enjoyable experience and come back home with their trucks all in one piece.

If you have any questions about the trip then you can ring me on 06 3686684 (at work) or 0275302614 (any time) to discuss it.

Cheers.
Ken Douglas.
Trip leader.
Levin 4wd Club Inc.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Re: Charity Run Manawatu 21st August

Postby Mehrts » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm keen for this, was just wondering what type of trip this is cos I'm not too familiar with the area.

Is is beach based, or mud/clay & bush etc
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:26 am

long established tracks through coastal sand dunes. have a look at these photos. (though in the low spots currently the water table is very high, as it has been very wet here recently.)
https://plus.google.com/photos/11675852 ... 5186185393

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:41 am

The beginning of the track is through pine trees. .moving on to sand dunes with some steep ramp overs and a few off camber areas a creek in the middle that is about 900mm deep for about 20 or so meters. Took 5 trucks last weekend about 2.5 hours one way on our recce trip last weekend

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Return to “Events”