The 42 Traverse Discussion Thread

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Re: The 42 Traverse Discussion Thread

Postby PeterVahry » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 pm

DoC would prefer a one way system, but there is no rule and the route is used in both directions. Mountain bikers usually go from Kapoors Rd to Owhango (downhill) and can be moving quickly. Passing can be achieved with courtesy in many places.

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:04 pm

its a normal road, used to have logging trucks up there,only people that go one way is the mountain bikers, they also dont abide by any rules and go as fast as they want on anyside of the track, ive been stopped on the track and had them hit us and then blame me for hitting them, dont touch any carcasses up there as doc have 1080d the whole place to kill everthing earlier this year.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:50 pm

no they haven't 1080'd and never will as there are kiwi in there and if you camp by the river you can here in the valleys at night, how ever the doc ranger we ran into on his ATV with all there radio tracking gear said feel free to shoot the pigs and deer. we even had a pig running in front of us on the track on the kapoors side of the creek crossing with the steep climb up from the small area people camp.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:57 pm

mate that bush gets 1080d every 3-5 years , yes there are kiwis there, yes doc kill kiwis with 1080, ive been going into and live on the edge of that bush for the last 20 years,the last two kiwi i found dead i handed them over to doc like an idiot, next ones we find will pay ourselves for a toxicology test, weve been trying to stop the 1080 for the last 15-20 years in the tongiriro forest, last summer the bush was quiet , this year the birds are coming back till the next drop, if youve been in there in the last 12 months you would notice the big 1080 signs erected by doc at each end.we managed to get 6000ha of the bush have deer repelent put in with the 1080 to at least keep a bit of hunting in there.

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”