Ashley River Endangered chicks

Jerry
Yes Dear

Ashley River Endangered chicks

Postby Jerry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 am

Canterbury ornithologist Niall Mugan had a nasty Christmas Eve surprise when he found the bodies of 50 black-billed gull chicks stoned to death.

The gulls, one of the most endangered gull species in the world and found only in New Zealand, had been nesting on the Ashley River just outside Rangiora, where there are signs asking people not to disturb the birds during their nesting season.

The Ashley Rivercare group, of which Mugan is a member, had been looking after the colony, keeping down predators and erecting signs.

The chicks had been two weeks away from fledging and flying.

"It's quite upsetting," he said.

"Whoever this person was, they did as much damage as they could in the shortest amount of time."

Although police had been notified, Mugan felt it was unlikely the culprits would be found as it was in such a remote area.

He said the gulls had suffered consistently declining numbers because their habitats were being destroyed.

They nest on braided rivers.

"It's pretty much only Canterbury," Mugan said.

"It's such a shame. In two more weeks, they would have been independent.

"I was pretty shocked when I found them. It could have been a case of mistaken identity.

A lot of people complain about gulls keeping people awake, but there are several types of gulls that don't, and it's difficult to tell the difference between them.

"Some are common and some are endangered.

"This person just picked the rarest type there is."

Disturbing protected birds and destroying nests are offences under the Wildlife Act that can result in up to six months' jail or a $100,000 fine.

Department of Conservation (DOC) biodiversity programme manager for Waimakariri, Dean Turner, said the killing was "very disappointing".

He had spoken with Mugan and went to the site on Christmas Eve to collect information.

"They are a totally protected bird; they are nationally endangered," Turner said.

He urged anyone with information to phone the Rangiora police or DOC.

Last month, a motorist allegedly drove over a colony of 3000 black-billed gulls nesting at the Ashburton River, squashing nests and eggs. This was despite prominent "endangered bird" signs along the river.

In 2007, the same Ashburton colony was attacked by vandals, who killed more than 100 birds.

In November 2010, a man and an alleged co-offender killed 23 fur seals near Ohau Pt, Kaikoura, with a galvanised pipe.

Ad Feedback Jason Trevor Godsiff, 20, was jailed for his part in the killings but this was changed to home detention after he appealed against his sentence.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8118197 ... d-en-masse
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

yeti
Bruiser

Re: Ashley River Endangered chicks

Postby yeti » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:43 am

Got to wonder what goes on inside some people's heads.. tossers : :evil:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Nigel Bannan
Bush Crasher

Postby Nigel Bannan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:49 am

This is very upsetting to hear. All the hard work that has put in by various groups to try and protect these birds seems pointless. I know that Ecan have spent a lot of money on improvements and barriers to try and stop people driving in the riverbed around their breeding grounds so that these wee birds don't get accidently run over. There are signs making people aware of the breeding season of these birds but not all take notice of these. Very dissapointing. Nig

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:02 am

don't know the area that well but maybe some big rocks and some deep holes in the river around the nesting sites would keep the idiots out?, Maybe some "abuse it ... lose it" signs from combined etc would help?

maybe the clubs/ore etc could hold a working bee with the river protection group etc

just some ideas ...

Nigel Bannan
Bush Crasher

Postby Nigel Bannan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:16 am

Combined have a few signs down there already ( we may have to put a few more up) and wire ropes running thru wooden posts have been put up along with tank traps been dug but the public can enter the riverbed for swimming. It may be more of an education program I think that is required. Get the local paper involved? Combined have also been down there several times doing a bit of track clean up but you can't make it too easier. Nig

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 am

This is sad i agree, but i like many of the 4wd enthusiasts i know are sick of doc blaming 4wd enthusiasts for destroying bird nesting areas and other areas we have access to.
These areas are PUBLIC ACCESS AREAS and its not just 4wd people that are using them what about motorcyclists and swimmers and fisherman mountain bikers,it could have been anyone!
The answer is not putting the whole of NZ under lock and key,too much of NZ is under lock and key and in private ownership anyway,there must be another way :roll:

vvilly
Hard Yaka

Postby vvilly » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 am

They have put 1mX1m concrete blocks up over the tracks that enter the areas where the birds are nesting. You can see the nesting areas from miles away too. So it must have been deliberate, i was down there xmas eve but didnt see anything or anyone acting suspisiously
LIFT YOUR TRUCK FAT CHICKS CANT JUMP

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:41 am

lexulance wrote:This is sad i agree, but i like many of the 4wd enthusiasts i know are sick of doc blaming 4wd enthusiasts for destroying bird nesting areas and other areas we have access to.
These areas are PUBLIC ACCESS AREAS and its not just 4wd people that are using them what about motorcyclists and swimmers and fisherman mountain bikers,it could have been anyone!
The answer is not putting the whole of NZ under lock and key,too much of NZ is under lock and key and in private ownership anyway,there must be another way :roll:

Know where in the article does it blame 4wders...could of been anyone as the location is close to the bridge.

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 am

the way i read it as well it doesnt blame 4wd'ers although things like this will lose us access to these places indirectly

a motorist allegedly drove over a colony of 3000 black-billed gulls nesting at the Ashburton River, squashing nests and eggs. This was despite prominent "endangered bird" signs along the river.

This bit probably could be construed as a 4wd tho :?

I don't know the area well was just posting up as a fyi

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:15 am

Jerry wrote:the way i read it as well it doesnt blame 4wd'ers although things like this will lose us access to these places indirectly

a motorist allegedly drove over a colony of 3000 black-billed gulls nesting at the Ashburton River, squashing nests and eggs. This was despite prominent "endangered bird" signs along the river.

This is the part i took as 4wders cos you wouldnt take a street car on the ashley river bed as it is very very soft in places :lol:

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 am

lexulance wrote:
Jerry wrote:the way i read it as well it doesnt blame 4wd'ers although things like this will lose us access to these places indirectly

This is the part i took as 4wders cos you wouldnt a street car on the ashley river bed as it is very very soft in places :lol:

Also hard to get a car past the concrete blocks.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Nigel Bannan wrote:It may be more of an education program I think that is required.

Good idea. It just needs delivering with a 12 gauge.

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I fish this river often, but not lately as the local rag informs there is a toxic algea present in river at the moment. I'm with vvilly on this one, I'ts bloody obvious where they nest and surprises me to see wheel tracks straight through there nesting areas. Well, it dosn't really surprise me, it's the easyest/flatest part of the river to drive. Stick to recently flooded low lyeing areas, even if it means one wheel in the river, or the rougher areas next to scrub line. If your not sure, stay out!
I was fishing up the waimak this morning and getting dive bombed as I walked along the rivers edge, as a couple of chicks were near by. They will let you know if your too close.
Education will help, but obviously some just don't give a shit.
A bloody shame to hear of intentional destruction of a rare species
If you break it... build it stronger.

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Jerry wrote:Canterbury ornithologist Niall Mugan had a nasty Christmas Eve surprise when he found the bodies of 50 black-billed gull chicks stoned to death.

Wasn't someone driving through this time, just in the article for dramatization.

I hope someone stones the tard/s responsible if they are caught.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Taz wrote:
Jerry wrote:Canterbury ornithologist Niall Mugan had a nasty Christmas Eve surprise when he found the bodies of 50 black-billed gull chicks stoned to death.

Wasn't someone driving through this time, just in the article for dramatization.

I hope someone stones the tard/s responsible if they are caught.

Yep that wasnt ignorance that was outright arrogance and willfull killing by fuken wankers..... smash them in the head with a few rocks and see how they like it :roll:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 pm

gotta get them to say "jehovah" first.... then the fkn stoning is awwwwwnnnnnnnn. pieces of shit, a good quartering wouldnt be amiss either. thinking a vx on one wrist, a zuk on the other, a mitsi on an ankle and a landy on whetevers left, and a kicking in te bollocks for good measure before the multiple accelerators are depressed.... yeahhhhhhh buddyyyyyyyyyyy
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

^Hook the vx up around there neck just to make sure :evil:

mr landrover
Bush Crasher

Postby mr landrover » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:39 pm

disgusting they must be real tough guys i hope when they found they pay the maximum fine an not go to our 5star prisons than they should be shipped to china to have there organs harvested before they work in a concentration camp for a few years making our kids toys before the mobile execution van pulls up.. :evil:
In order for you to insult me i would first have to value your opinion

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”