Haurangi Road & Sutherlands Hut.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Haurangi Road & Sutherlands Hut.

Postby Gyxx » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Hey all...

Can anyone tell me if you can drive Haurangi Road all the way to Sutherlands Hut or is the road gated off at some point?

Thanks.

suzuki1k

Re: Haurangi Road & Sutherlands Hut.

Postby suzuki1k » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:03 am

It is gated and you need to have a permit as well as a trip leader in there.

Reece

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 am

Im with the Featherston 4X4 Club and we have "adopted" this track and hut for maintenance etc.
We have a club trip going in on the 9-10 Nov for track work and a stay in the hut if its not full, otherwise we camp out down by the river on the flats. 8)

Cheers Paul.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies Reece and Paul. I thought that a gate and "club access only" may have been the case on this track but i hadn't had it confirmed until now. I suppose if I was a landowner I'd probably try to control access somehow - having seen how much damage a few dickheads can do...
I've got a spot a couple of kays away from Sutherlands Hut that I usually access from the other side - quite a hike to tell the truth but a good spot. If I could get most of the way there by vehicle that would have been sweet but I guess that's not to be.
Good on the club for taking on looking after the track and hut. Hopefully I'll manage to get into the hut on a club trip sometime.

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Look forward to you coming along, its a great area with amazing history.
Plenty busy around the roar, almost too busy :shock:

Paul.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah - I tend to give a few places a pass in the roar these days for that exact reason. Then I like to nip back in Spring ;-) ...
I was thinking over taking the wife and kids to do the chasm walk which I think is down the same road as the one that eventually leads to Sutherlands so I might look at the options to stop over sometime and make a weekend of it.
I'm always interested to hear about the history of an area too - most places out of the way worth building a road to usually have a story worth telling...

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

It is truly an amazing place.. I used to hunt a lot there back a wee while ago.. :wink: :lol: Took a 13 pointer.. :mrgreen: and a lot of meat when I went there.. even seen 2 hinds walk right up to me.. less then 3m away.. I was in aww of it.. couldn't shoot them.. Even seen a mob of about 6-9 herding just before the roar..Used to clear the track, take rubbish away etc.. was a well used place when I was there..I always used my ol XL250 to get access back then.. was a long walk.. :roll: I even seen a stag thought you beauty.. jumped onto track right next to another hunter who shat himself.. and his dog went mental.. Last I saw of the stage.. :cry: was a funny day..lol

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 am

Gyxx wrote:I'm always interested to hear about the history of an area too - most places out of the way worth building a road to usually have a story worth telling...

If you make it on the club day Rod will fill you in on some history, he has a book on the area too.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:24 pm

When is the next planned run into the hut this summer??

Might have a couple of vehicles and crew keen to go in for a look, just need a rough date to plan around :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Pick a date.

Send me a message
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Geez time flies...

Since I made the original post on this thread asking if the track was gated I've been on a couple of trips cum working bees on that track and helped out the Featherston guys fixing up the very gate I was asking about.

Still haven't pulled any venison out of there but ;-) ...

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:23 pm

DieselBoy wrote:When is the next planned run into the hut this summer??

Might have a couple of vehicles and crew keen to go in for a look, just need a rough date to plan around :D

Some of the Featherston Crew are looking camping over between Christmas and New year, happy for a few to join in. Even if you need to go straight out we can take you up to gate and let you through. :mrgreen:

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Right.

That gives me a bit of time to try to fob the kids off on some unsuspecting relative...

Well one kid at least otherwise I won't be able to fold the back seats down to fit the camping gear in - the pros and cons of shorties :wink: ...

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”