Thompson Track

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Thompson Track

Postby Mudde1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:22 pm

This has been received by NZFWDA today.
This is to inform the Association that Thompson Track Road between Katikati BOP and Te Aroha Hauraki Plains will be closed to through traffic for logging operations from the 1st of February 2014 for up to 3 months. However, emergency access through the logging site will be maintained. Access to the Summit from the Katikati side and for 6km from the Te Aroha side will not be affected. A traffic management plan has been submitted to the Matamata Piako District Council. Would you please pass this information onto the affiliated clubs in the North Island. Thanks Keith Davenport Operations Manager
Tony.

wopass
Hard Yaka

Re: Thompson Track

Postby wopass » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:07 am

so they are blocking Te aroha side from being used during the summer months... gonna be some pretty pissed people about that!

on the up side, the real 4x4 track from katikati side up to the summit is still open.
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am

They will probably destroy the track as well, but the good thing, (or bad thing, depending on your point of view), is that the will probably restore the track to a higher standard when they have finished.
Tony.

Tourley
Driver/Navigator

Postby Tourley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:44 am

Checked the Matamata councils public notices and it says Thompsons in open till the 17th of Feburary (see http://www.mpdc.govt.nz/news-a-events/80.html) Confirmed this with the council on their facebook page. Apparently the time frame was changed and various 4wd clubs were only informed of the first time frame not the revised time.
So to clear things up Thompsons track is closed from Monday 17 February 2014 - Friday 30 May 5am-4pm (excluding public holidays and weekends). Has anyone been up there recently? What're conditions like on the easy side?

fourwheelnoob
Winch master

Postby fourwheelnoob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 pm

hey guys, I was up there last thursday (waitangi day) and it was mint. im new to this just bought a kzn130 more for hunting but that got up there no sweat

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:51 pm

most due, :lol: .
butnever discount bunnies on that track :lol:
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Is the track open now? I was thinking of going up the Te Aroha side while down there if possible.
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 am

FORGE1 wrote:Is the track open now? I was thinking of going up the Te Aroha side while down there if possible.

Only closed on Weekdays from 5am - 4pm. Weekends and evenings are all good, few of the guys in our club went up a few weekends back, looking alright at the moment too
Te Rino
'92 Nissan Terrano | Intercooled TD27T | 33 x 10.5s
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42742
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:43 pm

stovanovich wrote:
FORGE1 wrote:Is the track open now? I was thinking of going up the Te Aroha side while down there if possible.

Only closed on Weekdays from 5am - 4pm. Weekends and evenings are all good, few of the guys in our club went up a few weekends back, looking alright at the moment too

Awesome, thanks I'll be going through in the evening as at this stage we are down during the week.
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

NB42
Driver/Navigator

Postby NB42 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Heard from some guys that it is now impassable after the recent storm.. Anyone able to confirm this? Cheers

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:41 pm

A request from the local Council....

"Can you please send a message around the 4x4 traps that Thompsons track is blocked by a number of large slips on the Te Aroha side.

I will be having a better look next few days but no access down from about 1km from the saddle /top and less than 1km from the bottom.

Not sure when we will be able to clean it up, but will be at least a month.
Advise clubs etc to stay away please.

Thanks
Mike van Bysterveldt | Engineering Officer - Roading"

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 pm

that's good as we spend money in the shops and gas station, down there,

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 pm

The track condition.
There is currently 20 slips blocking the track (plus other small ones), ranging in size from 1 truck load of material to 50m sections of track totally buried.
Council estimate around 80 hours of excavator time, plus labour, chainsaws etc to clear the track. This is about $15,000-$20,000K

Council annual budget for keeping this track open is $6,500.00 so as you can see this is going to be well short of the 15 to 20k required.

This is not the only issue, council will need to talk to two land owners along the lower section of the track as the only place where they can dispose of some of the slip material is onto their land, and unfortunately track users have upset these land owners in the past which makes it even harder. The other issues are Waikato Regional Council as a lot of damage has occurred at stream crossings. The discussion etc with these groups will take some time.

Also the slip material is saturated, any attempt to move it now will create an even bigger mess.

Therefore, the engineer’s recommendation to Council is to close the track to all vehicles until next summer. This will give them time to sort out the issues mentioned, get the funding required in place and sort out a plan of attack.

NZFWDA has offered its assistance and we will be discussing what we can do to assist in getting the track open.

This council will also be in discussion also with Western BOP District Council who control the track at the Katikati side.

This closure will be a short term pain for a longer term gain.

We ask all that all vehicles keep away from this track for now. On top of the closure of other tracks in the area this is a major setback, but we will be doing all we can to get as many tracks as possible open again as soon as possible.

Quote from council
“Any attempt by any club or individuals to clear Thompsons Track without council consent will be dealt with accordingly and could potentially face prosecution. “[u]
[/u]
Tony Burgess

President NZFWDA
Tony.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Tony.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sun May 11, 2014 12:24 pm

went for a walk to survey the damage up thompsons friday and to have a gander if the 95 hectares for sale up there was slip/fucked,
its not fortunately but funds could be an issue.
thompsons however is toast for this winter,
we walked in past 3 across the track slips before we got to the second creek, which we then walked up and sidled across the hills having a gander at the slips from the top,
we then dropped down the creek just before the shale section to find the creek bed is 3x as wide and has Suzuki size boulders all over the place.
up the rocky incline towards the pines is not too bad with just one dose of clay across the track from the hillside.
walking back past Suzuki boulder creek we had to pick our way through some fairly impressive earth subsidence,
some big puriri trees had even rode the slips down and managed to stay upright till planting themselves in the middle of the original road.
head up for a look on foot with a decent machete as theres a butload of supplejack tangled in each slip.
was a great walk but a pity the track is in need of some serious attention .

And before anyone gets upset I walked in from before the ford before the track gate (2wd ute ain't a match for that clay).
there was however a certain safari owner up their having a go and he managed to make it to the first big slip,
someone has also helped themselves to some downed puriri logs in the second slip which they must have dragged out just in time before the big one came through
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:58 am

I have had a message from council today and that wanted me to pass on their thanks to the 4x4 community for the restraint we have shown in keeping away from Thompsons. I understand that there has not been a single 4x4 vehicle on the track since we were asked to keep away and the council are very very appreciative of this and council are impressed as it shows that 4x4 communities can behave in a reasonable way. That helps immensely when we try to negotiate with council over access issues. A shame motorcycle don’t show the same restraint.
We are working on a solution and I am confident that Thompson’s will be reopened to 4x4 traffic but the biggest issue is weather and neither us nor council have a lot of control over that.
Again thanks for the cooperation. I will be keeping everyone informed.
Tony Burgess

President NZFWDA
Tony.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue May 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Excellent news. I'm sure all of use would get up there for a working bee, although it sounds like it may be a bit more than a few boys with shovels can handle lol
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sat May 24, 2014 12:50 pm

just on the motorcycle note there is only one person I know of that has been up to the slips with his bike,
hes a local from manawaru and likely past on the info to the council.
Take note it is impassable to anything other than walking.
there's supplejack strewn through every slip.
Please leave the place be till summer.

Trundle
Hard Yaka

Postby Trundle » Sat May 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Its only the easy side of thompsons that is shut ?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat May 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Trundle wrote:Its only the easy side of thompsons that is shut ?

Both the other side is being logged
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 pm

the easy side is being logged and is naffed from slips,
the katikati side is too much of a walk for these little legs but likely fairly slip fucked also

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Great news. Matamata-Piako District Council corporate and operations committee have found $23,000 to repair Thompson's Track. Work will be done this summer. Thanks to everyone who has shown restraint in keeping away, and please continue to keep away until the track is repaired which makes us look like a responsible group.
I will keep you informed.
Tony Burgess

NZFWDA
Tony.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm going to hazard a guess this may be off the cards again given the weather at the end of the week
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:42 pm

went for another walk up there today,
talked to the local farmer, she said that they had 340mm of rain in 12 hours to cause the slips that occurred earlier.
No further damage or change.
the odd 4 wheeler motorbike has attempted it obviously, but there fortitude has run out at the first big slip.
My workmates olds own the Shaftesbury cottages available for hire opposite the manawaru hall if the work parties this summer need a comfy bed? will ask about camping next time I see denver

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Postby T1M0 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Is there anymore updates on this???

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:44 pm

The last I heard on the grapevine was that the council would fix up the road, but not until summer, so we just have to have patience and stay away for now.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Ralfie wrote:The last I heard on the grapevine was that the council would fix up the road, but not until summer, so we just have to have patience and stay away for now.

That is correct. Council have promised to fix the track at their cost when the slips dry out. That will be some time this coming summer which part of this coming summer is up to the weather Gods. We will be keeping pressure on council to get it done ASAP.
Again thanks for keeping away from this area until it is fixed.
Tony Burgess

NZFWDA.
Tony.

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Postby T1M0 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Sweet as thanks.

Just wanted to get more seat time in my truck and my aim is to do thompsons once ive finshed off a few things.

Will be keeping a eye out for when its good to go.

Cheers again

Tim

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Mudde1 wrote:
Ralfie wrote:The last I heard on the grapevine was that the council would fix up the road, but not until summer, so we just have to have patience and stay away for now.

That is correct. Council have promised to fix the track at their cost when the slips dry out. That will be some time this coming summer which part of this coming summer is up to the weather Gods. We will be keeping pressure on council to get it done ASAP.
Again thanks for keeping away from this area until it is fixed.
Tony Burgess

NZFWDA.

Tony... Is this something that when they decide to fix it that we can get a bunch of us to go and help them thus getting it done quicker and showing that we are willing to help and not just take them for granted?
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”