Thompson Track

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Re: Thompson Track

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Tonkatoy. wrote:
Mudde1 wrote:
Ralfie wrote:

Tony... Is this something that when they decide to fix it that we can get a bunch of us to go and help them thus getting it done quicker and showing that we are willing to help and not just take them for granted?

We did discuss this with council, and our offer to help is still "on the table" but in the end council felt the best and easiest solution was simply have one of their contractors do the entire project. This is in part because we are not the only ones using the track. It is still possible council will come back to us with a request for some sort of help and if that happens we will arrange it then.
Tony Burgess

NZFWDA
Tony.

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Thompson Track update

Postby PeterVahry » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Update from Matamata-Piako District Council

"Apparently there is a rumour going around that Matamata Piako District Council is not going to clear Thompson’s Track and its going to be closed.

I can confirm that this is totally incorrect. Can you please advise members that the track will be cleared this summer.

Also, please reiterate to them to not take it upon themselves to start clearing the track.

Cheers

Engineering Officer - Roading
Matamata-Piako District Council "

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks Peter for keeping us informed, I hope everybody behaves & doesn't stuff it up for the rest of us.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 pm

The great news is that we now have a plan in place to get Thopmson's Track open to 4x4 traffic and it is getting close to coming together. I am now actively looking for volunteers who are able to help. I don't have a confirmed date but it will be in the next few weeks. I have some offers of assistance already but still looking for more help so that the load is not on one or two people only.
Council are paying costs, but the 4x4 community need to supply the labour.
Especially what I need is
1)experienced excavator and dozer operators who are able to offer their time. If you own your own a machine this may include paying you hire of your own machine,( if this suits the machine owner), or it could be operating a rental machine.
2)Experienced chain saw operators. This probably means using your own machine and safety equipment.
3) general labourers who are able to "fetch and carry" and help out where required.Mostly likley stacking cut trees on the side of the track.
Suitable safety equipment will be required for everyone. Sorry, No operating chain saws in jandles.
If you are able to help with any of this in any way please let me know what you are able to offer. I prefer by email on burgesst@xtra.co.nz or my land line is 09 2983194. My mobile is 0274792636 but preferably not between 8.30am and 4.30pm week days.
Please feel free to distribute this post as widely as possible.
Tony Burgess

Public Relations Officer
New Zealand Four Wheel Drive Association.
Tony.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

couple of questions?
who is paying for the running costs of the chainsaws?
ive got my machine which would be great for moving the cut logs etc around, reimbursments for running costs as well?

regards Rohan

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:18 pm

mudlva wrote:couple of questions?
who is paying for the running costs of the chainsaws?
At this stage the volunteers, but i will try to get some money out of council
ive got my machine which would be great for moving the cut logs etc around, reimbursements for running costs as well?

Tony.

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Count me in depending on when it is also it was pasted on our Cozzie Four Wheelers facebook page and there a few keen from there.
Do we need to be ticketed to use our chainsaws or can we just rock up with them and help out? Either way I am in with or without my chainsaw
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the offers of help with this project. To answer the most common question, If using a chainsaw you need to have suitable safety equipment (no turning up in jandles and stubbies) and be experienced and a competent operator, but a formal qualification is not required.
If you have contacted me and i haven't replied, my apologies, please don't panic or be offended, i will get back to you eventually, its just that my post resulted in about 80 emails to my inbox, and i have also had to do a unexpected and rather long road trip for work over the next 3 or 4 days, and I won't get a chance to quickly answer all the offers I have received. We do appreciate the offers and will keep everyone informed as things progress.
Tony Burgess

Tony.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm

I have arranged a working bee at Matamata end of Thompsons Track on Sunday 25th January, Meeting at 9am at the start of the track. This is with the blessing of the Matamata-Piako District Council.
The intention of the working bee is to cut as much vegetation as possible and move it to the side of the track, out of the way. Also we will be cutting the larger logs up into smaller pieces so that machinery can move them out of the way at a later stage. For now we will not be moving any soil. That will happen after we have cleared the vegetation.

I need competent chain saw operators (with appropriate safety equipment) to cut the trees etc and labour to clear away everything that has been cut. Also some of the vegetation can be removed with brush cutters. We will do as much as we can on the 25th, but there is likely to be further working bees later as well. I need to keep a track of how many people we are expecting on the day. If you are able to help, on that day, I please email me your name, phone number, email address and if you are bringing a chain saw, or brush cutter.
If you have offered your skills as a machine operator, I will get back to you as soon as I am able. We are intending to take up your offer. Just working on dates, requirements etc.
Lets get in and get this track open ASAP.

Please feel free to share this information as widely as possible.
Many thanks
Tony Burgess
Public Relations (Northern Zone)
Ph 0274792636 or 09 2983194
Email nthzpro@nzfwda.org.nz or burgesst@xtra.co.nz
Tony.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

We had a very hardworking team turn up for the Thompsons working bee on Sunday. Many thanks to Scott, Bradley, Steth and Boris. Your efforts were most appreciated, especially considering how small the team was.
We have managed to get a lot done, but the track is still a long way from open and a trip up there will result in a very short drive, but we are still working on it.
Tony Burgess

NZFWDA
Tony.

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Keep us all posted Tony, I'm sure you'll get a few more volunteers when it's not a long weekend :D
Appreciate all your hard work putting this events in place
Te Rino
'92 Nissan Terrano | Intercooled TD27T | 33 x 10.5s
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42742
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 pm

stovanovich wrote:Keep us all posted Tony, I'm sure you'll get a few more volunteers when it's not a long weekend :D
Appreciate all your hard work putting this events in place

what he said 8)
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

NB42
Driver/Navigator

Postby NB42 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Yep me and a few others would of been there had it not of been a long weekend. Will be keen to help with the next one :)

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 pm

That's fair enough comment re the long weekend. Not ideal i know but for a whole range of reasons that was the only date I could have it. As it turned out we got a lot done and any further chainsaw work would be a long walk from where it is possible to get a 4x4 at present, but that may change soon. I have been in contact with council again and plans are progressing well. i still intend to drive the track this before the winter sets in. I will be sending out messages again looking for volunteers and will give as much notice as possible.
Tony Burgess

NZFWDA
Tony.

pmfg
Bush Crasher

Postby pmfg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Does anyone know whats happening?

Its Thompsons open yet, or still closed?

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:41 pm

closed still more work to be done

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm also keen to know if theres any updates or further working bees coming up. With the other local tracks now gone, having a truck thats nearly finished and nowhere close to test, sucks :D Looking forward to driving this before winter sets in like Tony. Havnt been up in a while, but I'm picking the Kati side as always will be much too hardcore for a nice first test run :)
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:58 pm

3VILC wrote:I'm also keen to know if theres any updates or further working bees coming up. With the other local tracks now gone, having a truck thats nearly finished and nowhere close to test, sucks :D Looking forward to driving this before winter sets in like Tony. Havnt been up in a while, but I'm picking the Kati side as always will be much too hardcore for a nice first test run :)

Feel free to trim the vegetation of the sides of the track(matamata side). There will be a machine up there very soon to clear the track and trimming the vegetation of the sides makes it easier for the machinery to work.
Tony Burgess
NZFWDA
Tony.

cpt kernow
Driver/Navigator

Postby cpt kernow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 pm

I rode this on my MountainBike in Feb.

On the Matamata side, the forestry area has completely cut away the track. The new roads have dug away the track and left 10m bluffs to the extent that it's single file walking.
Are there any plans to relocate this km of track or are the forestry going to re-instate? I can't imagine the latter as there has been thousands of cubes of dirt moved.
The Katikati side seemed a complete p of p. Nothing compared to the dome valley track in terms of bogs.
Nice day out, but can't imagine anything beyond a polaris getting through for a few years.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

The Forestry company have an obligation to restore the track to the same or better condition than it was when they started work there, and council will be making sure that that happens.
Tony Burgess
NZFWDA
Tony.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Mudde1 wrote:The Forestry company have an obligation to restore the track to the same or better condition than it was when they started work there, and council will be making sure that that happens.
Tony Burgess
NZFWDA

No not necessarily, if swaths of the access were taken out by an act of god (excessive rain = slips) then no, Contractors are only responsible for maintaining the road for there benefit and to rectify any damage or changes necessitated for the act of harvesting trees.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
Mudde1 wrote:The Forestry company have an obligation to restore the track to the same or better condition than it was when they started work there, and council will be making sure that that happens.
Tony Burgess
NZFWDA

No not necessarily, if swaths of the access were taken out by an act of god (excessive rain = slips) then no, Contractors are only responsible for maintaining the road for there benefit and to rectify any damage or changes necessitated for the act of harvesting trees.

Council will be repairing the areas where an act of god destroyed the track. where The Forestry company dug holes they will restore the track to the same or better condition than it was when they started work there
Tony.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 pm

When :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

eins
Bush Crasher

Postby eins » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Has there been any real progress or are we still at the planning stage ??

Heard a rumour logging company have gone bust, so if that is true then there will be more to fix??

cpt kernow
Driver/Navigator

Postby cpt kernow » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:41 pm

And although impossible to prove, just about all the slips on the western side lie approx 100 below all the logging operations. So would it be fair to say that after 80 odd years, the track only became unusable after they logged the hilltops?

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:07 pm

do you work for the loggers company or another logging company

cpt kernow
Driver/Navigator

Postby cpt kernow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:39 pm

Neither, no interest beyond wanting to get in there.
I did it as a bike ride 2 months back. Was also using it as a reccy to see what the hype was about.
I've wanted to do the West side for a while.
What got me, was anytime that you could look back at the track where there had been a slip (and the slips are all fukn huge!) you could see they were for the most part about 100m below the edge of the bush and the start of the cleared forest. Obviously the cleared land on steep terrrain with no cover, and a heavy rain season caused excessive run-off to the bush and wiped out the track.
I think it's quite sad and shit, that the council, no matter how well intentioned will probably never get round to clearing this up. Because councils are scared of incorrect procedures, and spending money. I can't imagine the budget exists to stabilise the number of slips involved to a standard that they would call "safe"
The best bet would probabaly be to hand it over to a club or such-like and disolve themselves of all responsibility. This way a track that is "good enough" will exist without the requirements to meet all their standards for retaining and drainage etc.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Received today from Matamata-Piako District Council

THOMPSONS TRACK
Matamata-Piako District Council will close the following road to ordinary vehicular traffic for the period stated below so PF Olsen Ltd can conduct tree felling and logging operations in close proximity to the track. Road to be closed Thompsons Track starting at 6.0km from the Thompsons Track / Wairakau Rd intersection to end approx. 300m west of the summit. Date and time of closure Monday 7 December 2015 – Monday29 February 2016, 5.00am – 4.00pm(excluding Public Holidays and Weekends)This notice is made in accordance with Pursuant to Section 342(1)(b) of the Local Government Act1974, and paragraphs 11(d) and 16 of the tenth schedule
Don McLeod
Chief Executive Officer

Received today from Matamata-Piako District Council. This is a formal closure which can be backed up with legal proceedings. Take a note of the times and dates.
Regarding the rest of Thompsons Track around the clearing of the slips and opening the rest of the track, It has been an on-going discussion with Waikato Regional Council and Matamata-Piako District Council. Hope to have a decision soon.
Tony Burgess
Public relations
NZFWDA
Tony.

mark.griffith
Driver/Navigator

Postby mark.griffith » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:27 pm

is this information still current? Thompsons re-opening next week?

Cheers,
Mark

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:39 pm

it taking at lot of time open this track isn't

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”