Mamaku, Leslie Road - Intentionally Damaged

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Mamaku, Leslie Road - Intentionally Damaged

Postby obansam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I checked out Leslie road yesterday at the Mamaku end as I had heard the gate was locked. This road goes from Mamaku, Cecil Road down to Whites Road towards Putaruru, while this isn't a hard 4WD road, it is (was) quite a nice drive, and the Mamaku end does require some decent tyres. There is a huge the amount of illegally dumped rubbish up there which is disappointing to see.

The access gate at the end of Cecil Road is welded shut, 100m in a tree is blocking the road with some small rocks. Another 200m in another couple of trees have intentionally been placed across the road and trench has been dug behind the trees, about a meter deep.....the road is impassable

Keep in mind Leslie Road is a public road and this willful damage is surely illegal. It's a shame to see this sort of damage is still happening (probably by the forestry company) after the Rotorua Council has already dealt with Endean Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Sqg46L ... YCYkt2l96A

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Re: Mamaku, Leslie Road - Intentionally Damaged

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Is someone able to identify which Council covers that Leslie Rd area? Once that's confirmed, then perhaps a few letters drawing attention to the illegal obstacles and damage can be written.

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

PeterVahry wrote:Is someone able to identify which Council covers that Leslie Rd area? Once that's confirmed, then perhaps a few letters drawing attention to the illegal obstacles and damage can be written.

Peter,

South Waikato District Council are responsible for this road. A submission to assist with access to this road has recently been lodged with John Gibbs from WAMS also.

Cheers

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 pm

They are probaly trying to stop the dumping of rubbish,but for less work than it took to vandalize the road they could of cleaned the rubbish up.If rubbish is the issue I would be happy to assist with a working bee to clean it up.More traffic thru these areas would meam more eyes to help identify these mongrels.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:17 am

One day these people will realise that for the amount of fuel and effort they've wasted taking thier rubbish out to the middle of nowhere they could've just payed to take it to the dump. Theres a little short track around here up to an old reservoir, admittedly its not meant to be driven (tho it is a vehicle track and paper road long past where you can drive to), Ive done it :oops: simply because its a nice spot to have a picnic on a nice day, it causes no damage the track is mostly pumice. Some of the fords are quite steep with large boulders, yet people still seem to find a way to get up there and dump rubbish, drive off the track and make huge bogs, and damage the outlet pipe from the dam where it is exposed in places (which does still feed some of the farms down the hill)
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 pm

took a mate up for a look and the rubbish is even worse, bloody shameful
but whoever decided it was a good idea to use the area as a dump has left their calling card....anyone recognise it?
Attachments
WP_006562.jpg
calling card
WP_006561.jpg
WP_006559.jpg
WP_006557.jpg

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Think i have mentioned this before, but in the Rangitikei on the more secluded access roads to the river(and after a spate of ill equipped 4wds getting stuck in the river) the council/horizons has put in big 4wd obstacles such as rocks steep sided humps water filled holes with big drops down into the hole's then back up again. It is still public access though.

it has stopped the F**kwits dumping, and from driving in area's damaging sensitive wildlife/plants and erosion protection seedlings as you need good ground clearance and mud tyres most of the year around.

It has worked, there is no longer any rubbish or intentional damage.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:01 am

May be a hidden camera,why deter them when you can catch them,probaly nothing you could do if you caught them.

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Rotorua district council have replied to my emails and promised they will clean up the area. If anyone is up that way it would be great to have some feedback to see if the clean-up has happened.

With regard to Leslie Road been intentionally damaged and blocked by the forestry Rotorua council have confirmed that South Waikato District Council are responsible for this road. To date the Waikato council has not replied to any emails. At the very least it's disappointing that elected officials ignore this blatant vandalism of public property. I'm sure if a sealed road was damaged in this way they would act promptly.

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:32 pm

obansam wrote:Rotorua district council have replied to my emails and promised they will clean up the area. If anyone is up that way it would be great to have some feedback to see if the clean-up has happened.

With regard to Leslie Road been intentionally damaged and blocked by the forestry Rotorua council have confirmed that South Waikato District Council are responsible for this road. To date the Waikato council has not replied to any emails. At the very least it's disappointing that elected officials ignore this blatant vandalism of public property. I'm sure if a sealed road was damaged in this way they would act promptly.

Good work - Keep us posted
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:40 pm

obansam wrote:took a mate up for a look and the rubbish is even worse, bloody shameful
but whoever decided it was a good idea to use the area as a dump has left their calling card....anyone recognise it?

YOZA is obviously a greenie, wanting to Free The Penguins :mrgreen:

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Postby Bubba » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:37 pm

catalystracing wrote:
obansam wrote:took a mate up for a look and the rubbish is even worse, bloody shameful

YOZA is obviously a greenie, wanting to Free The Penguins :mrgreen:

As quoted from a Police 10/7/ Highway Patrol show "those boys are from Feilding because "Feildings The Place"
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 am

The Rotorua council have cleaned up the mess at the end of Cecil Road, although it took a while for them to even agree that they were responsible for that road! But to their credit once they realised it was in their patch they were onto it straight away.

As for the intentional damage to Leslie Road, South Waikato District Council has apparently been up and looked the area. They tell me they are preparing a report, but that was a month ago, perhaps they are hoping I might forget...

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:11 am

Doing good batman
Keep at it
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Excellent effort and thanks for following those through. It can be awfully slow to get action from Councils but if we all make an effort to remind them of their responsibilities, maybe they'll eventually see it as 'normal'.

kaos

Postby kaos » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm

i was on leslie road today in my truck(logger).from putararu end theyve put up a forestry gate before the seal ends by the chicken farms and it says its now a taumata plantations private road no entry .also signs saying hazardous conditions exist and theres no thoroughfare to rotorua.maybe theyve given it to the forestry so they dont have to pay for the up keep

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:06 pm

That sounds a bit dodgy to me, I wouldn't have thought a council could just give away public land to a private enterprise!

I'm also having problems to get any response from the council as well. They are completely ignoring me. It's been 4 months now since I originally contacted them...feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Ask for the information on any communication between the company and the council under the official information act. If they do not supply the information complain to the ombudsman.
Tony
Tony.

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am

good suggestion Tony. I've emailed the council (yet again!) referring to the OIA...let's see if that gets a reaction?!?

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:48 pm

I stopped by Leslie Rd a couple of weeks ago on my way to the 42 Traverse working bee and photographed the gate and sign. If there had been reference to the forestry company, it was not there that day!

A letter has gone from PANZ to the Council, but as yet no acknowledgement.

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:30 pm

I've received a letter from the South Waikato District Council (in response to an OIA request). They have instructed the forestry company to open the gate at the Mamaku end and deal to the trees. However the gate at the Putaruru end is actually on private land (outside the road legal boundary) so it can legally be locked, which seems to be a cop out.
Attachments
SWDC Dwg.JPG
Gate at Putaruru end of Leslie Road

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Copy of council report
Attachments
CCI03022015_0002.jpg
Page three of report from SWDC
CCI03022015_0001.jpg
Page two of report from SWDC
CCI03022015.jpg
Page one of report from SWDC

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:25 pm

so is it a case now of following the "legal road" which will bypass the gate altogether.
will just need to get hold of a super accurate topo map and gps system. if theres trees on the road way then could they be chopped down as it could well be discribed as a weed then??

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:40 pm

Thats the same story you get with all of these gated roads.

the standard response we get time and time again is :

" the road alignment deviates (ever so slightly) from the surveyed route onto private land, so therefore it is no longer accessible to the public."

Erua Road is a prime example. The road has a slight deviation created around a slip off the proper alignment. as a result, no body can travel through that road and there's a big locked gate at the start of it.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Tue May 12, 2015 5:03 pm

Is anyone able to confirm if the forestry has opened the gate, filled in the drain and removed the pine tree barricades from Leslie road. I'd ask the SWDC but based on my last two emails to them and their lack of replies I'm not even going to bother asking!

Cheers

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:11 pm

After nearly 10 months of pretty much one sided correspondence with the South Waikato District Council they inform me that the welded gate at the Mamaku end of Leslie road has had the welds removed. Apparently the gate is closed, but not locked and is able to be opened and the road is accessible. There is no confirmation that the trees across the road have been removed...I have my doubts! (The forestry company is called 'Hancock Forest Management' just in case anyone knows these guys?)

Is there anyone going to be over that way that could check it out?

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Postby obansam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:23 pm

I can confirm the road is now open. Goes to show if you are persistent enough (or enough of a pain in the arse!) councils will listen. Not that they had much choice, as the law was pretty clear in this case.

The illegally locked gate is open and the forestry have cleaned up all the rubbish and trees across the road (at the Mamaku end). Just hoping that people will respect the private property side roads running off Leslie Road, where they are marked & gated.

The bottom gate at the Putaruru (Whites Road) end is still locked, but this is on private property so legally can be locked. However there is a small track running parallel to sealed road (immediately on the South side) which I think is on the surveyed road. There is a gateway (no gate, just posts) filled with gravel. I'm going to check but this most likely can be cleared as long as it's public property and then people should be able to drive the whole length of the road.
Attachments
Leslie Road - Bottom Gate2.jpg

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Thank you for your persistence, it is the only way unfortunately. Council's are slowly getting to recognise the law. Recently the Environment Court on the West Coast refused to stop a legal road along the coast even though several baches were built on it. The road was recognised as access to the coast and enabling recreation.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

No idea what road, but either way that's a big win for public access across the board!!!!
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

tgaguy1
Hard Yaka

Postby tgaguy1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 pm

DieselBoy wrote:No idea what road, but either way that's a big win for public access across the board!!!!

x2

Nice work and well done on your persistence.
Men do not quit playing because they get old.
They grow old because they quit playing.

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”