Maratoto opening to be delayed in 2014

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Maratoto opening to be delayed in 2014

Postby PeterVahry » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Attached is a letter from DoC in response to a request to cut back and do essential maintenance on the Maratoto 4x4 trails. The rules have changed in respect of such work efforts on public land managed by DoC and there now must be work plans, H&S plans and formal agreement with DoC.

Those things are being worked on, but it will now mean that no work will be achieved for at least a month and maybe longer, as any remedial earthworks will need to be done in a manner that will avoid the muddy water issues that have closed the other route at Waitawheta.

The Maratoto 4x4 trails will remain closed as required by DoC, until the works can be completed. Thank you for your understanding, so that these great places can be retained for everyone's enjoyment in the future.
Attachments
Maratoto-letter004.jpg

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Re: Maratoto opening to be delayed in 2014

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:10 am

Yeah, it was looking pretty bad in there towards the end of last summer :( :(

Let's hope they are realistic with their erosion and sediment control requirements. It's not a commercial subdivision or a forestry harvesting operation.

Be good to have it all fixed up again like it was few years ago :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

NB42
Driver/Navigator

Postby NB42 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Anyone know if maratoto is actually open yet? Heard of a few different groups going in over the last couple of weeks but the maratoto hotline still says it is closed?

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Its open. Drove it on Sunday in the wet. Only one short winch to get to the river.Plenty of water on the track Didn't attempt the loop which appears to have been undriven since last summer.
Tony.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:27 am

well thats confusing, Peter with a doc saying its closed, and you saying its open
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:40 pm

It has been confusing, as DoC did state in a letter that they did not endorse the Maratoto opening to 4x4 use until some remedial work was done to several areas of concern. However they got pressured by some local people and passed the decision about opening to the key holders... that made life difficult and to avoid inevitable personal abuse, the gate was opened without fanfare.

To minimise traffic, the hotline continued to state that the gate was closed.

The aim has been to avoid the scenario that has occurred on another 4x4 track not too far away, where an abatement notice was served on DoC for allowing silt to be transferred into waterways etc. after maintenance work paid for by the NZFWDA northern zone was done. Ensuing traffic and resulting mud came to the attention of the relevant regional council who are bound to address water quality.

It is with disappointment that I read of the NZDWDA northern PR person, Tony Burgess stating that he and others last weekend drove the main Maratoto track in the wet conditions that prevailed. Given that the work on the other, now closed track was done during his time on the NZFWDA executive, it seems that some lessons are hard to accept.

Tony has a project proposed to extend the Maratoto 4x4 track by a few more kilometres along the existing motorcycle track, but it will still remain a 'dead end' route that will mean returning along the main track. The cost of just maintaining that existing track has been several thousand dollars a year and borne largely by the members of the NZFWDA northern zone.

Given the stated intention to extend the track to encourage more use, it would seem that the main track maintenance could cost even more per year and yet no plan to cover that cost has been provided. Maratoto up until 2013 was maintained in such a state that it was used as a benchmark by DoC for other 4x4 projects, sadly that is no longer the case with the involvement of Tony and his ambitions.

Yes, the gate is open and you'll need a winch! Please don't wreck the track simply because it's there.... it could be taken away at any time, even if Tony has plans to spend money... that didn't do much for the other track!

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:52 pm

I don’t want to get into an argument on a public forum, but I do want to say that Peter makes many statements in his post that I the situation see very differently, and I am aware that some of Peters statements are incorrect.
In my elected position as Relations Officer for NZFWDA I answer to the majority views of the members and work for the long term benefit of the members, rather than the view of one member. Peter has already made a complaint to NZFWDA regarding work I have done and in the course of time he will have an opportunity to put his views to the members, and I will be doing the same. It will be the members who will decide what policies NZFWDA will put in place and the direction NZFWDA will take. I encourage all member clubs to make sure that they are represented at NZFWDA meetings as this is the best way for members to have their input to policy and direction. If you are not a member of an affiliated club, join one so you can have your views heard.
Since the Maratoto gate was opened the track to the river has been driven by several standard vehicles without use of a winch. My vehicle has no diff locks or similar, was driven by a novice driver, and was winched for about 2 meters only. There was very little wheel spin for the entire trip. Neither of the other vehicles with me was winched. We don’t want the track wrecked, but it is derivable without creating extra damage if people are sensible. And please remember to pay the track fees. 100% of that money goes towards track maintenance.
Tony.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Tony, you say you work for the long term benefit of the members, your post does not sound like being in my long term benefit as a paying member of NZFWDA. And yes, I do know the background to this so called confusion very well.

Lets just keep the personalities and politics out of a public forum. Don't get me started. End of story telling.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

eins
Bush Crasher

Postby eins » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Well said TJ.

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”