Worth putting rego on hold?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Worth putting rego on hold?

Postby Mehrts » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Hey guys,

I've just purchased a vehicle that has been used as a farm run around by the previous owners. As it stands, the rego expired August last year and it has no WOF. Road user charges are out as well. The seller is talking about deregistering it completely due to the costs involved with bringing it back up to scratch.

I bought it soley to strip the engine/gearbox/transfer case etc out for myself and part out the rest.. But, the vehicle itself seems to be in good nick, so I'd like to try and keep the rego live to make it more useful for someone to buy if they wanted to throw in their own running gear. Would it be worthwhile to put the rego on hold? I have no interest in putting it on the road. Just want the bits that I need and pass it on..

Is this possible for a vehicle with outstanding road users/WOF/rego etc?

This is the first time dealing with a vehicle in this state, so I'm unsure of what would be the best thing to do. At the end of the day, I don't care what happens to the rest of the vehicle, but I'd like it to be of use to someone in the future. Seems a bit of a waste to dereg it, but as I understand it, the rego would need to be paid for before it's put on hold?

Cheers,

Mehrts
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Re: Worth putting rego on hold?

Postby Sausager » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:08 pm

Reg/rucs will need to be paid when deregistering or putting it on hold. So there's hi difference there. The only difference is the $9 change of ownership fee.

I'd say put it on hold to keep your options open.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:54 am

Lucky bugger, I wanted that! PM me what you would want for the leftovers as I have a dereg'd one that I could steal those bits from.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Change the ownership and then put it on hold the previous owner will be held to account for outstanding registration fees.
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

miked21newbie
Driver/Navigator

Postby miked21newbie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:53 pm

What he said..... Did this exact thing today, brought a parts truck, decided were just gonna fix it, reg out, no wof n road users out, put it in my name, then on hold, the new owner is still liable for backdated ruc's though,

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:23 pm

The owner of this vehicle has made it clear that he doesn't want to pay to get everything current again. Sure, I could have the ownership placed in my name and then place the reg on hold, but he'd still have to back pay everything as you've all said. I'm not going to shaft the guy, I'm not that kind of person.

So the rego/RUC has to be current even if it's going to be deregistered? Is that what you're saying Sausager?

As far as I'm concerned, I have only paid the amount for the vehicle purchase as it is. I'm not going to pay extra to bring things up to speed.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Mehrts wrote:So the rego/RUC has to be current even if it's going to be deregistered?

but if you just left it to drop out of the system then the rego/RUC charges would disappear. is that right???
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 pm

If it was behind RUC at its last warrant you can get billed for those k's regardless of what you do. I've always put vehicles on hold and previous owner has sorted everything. You could dereg it and just fib a bit on the ks to avoid charges I guess :?

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/74/docs/74-vehicle-registration-cancellation.pdf

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm

I haven't done anything about change of ownership or anything yet. I've just paid for the vehicle outright. I'm going to pick it up next month. The rego expired in August last year, and if nothing is done until august this year, then the rego is automatically cancelled on the system.

If I could pick it up with the rego on hold, then that would be the best outcome.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Yeah getting it already on hold could be best.

NZTA-Vehicle cancellation wrote:What happens if I don’t cancel the registration?

If the vehicle is required to be continuously licensed and the
registration is not cancelled, the NZTA will cancel the registration 12
months after the last licence or licence exemption has expired. If this
happens and the licence fees remain unpaid, the outstanding fees
will be sent to debt collection.

Expired licences

If the licence for the vehicle has expired and the vehicle is subject to
continuous vehicle licensing, payment of licence fees calculated from
the licence expiry date to the date of cancellation will be required.

Vehicles subject to road user charges

A vehicle subject to road user charges (RUC) is any vehicle that is
diesel powered or has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle mass (GVM)
of more than 3.5 tonnes (3500kg) or any light vehicle not powered
solely by fuel. (Light electric vehicles are currently exempt from RUC.)

Where the manufacturer’s GVM is more than 3.5 tonnes an approved
hubodometer must be fitted to a non-lifting axle on the left-hand side
of the vehicle.

Before cancelling the vehicle’s registration you must ensure that
all RUC is up to date. If there is any outstanding RUC, you may be
invoiced for the outstanding amount.

When cancelling your vehicle’s registration for a heavy vehicle you
will need to provide the current hubodometer and odometer reading
of your vehicle on your MR15 form. For a light RUC vehicle, you only
need to provide the odometer reading.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:56 am

Mehrts wrote:I haven't done anything about change of ownership or anything yet. I've just paid for the vehicle outright. I'm going to pick it up next month. The rego expired in August last year, and if nothing is done until august this year, then the rego is automatically cancelled on the system.

If I could pick it up with the rego on hold, then that would be the best outcome.

Whatever happens let me know as I was going to get my other one re-registered but this would save me a lot of hassle.

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”