Paper roads in Northland

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Paper roads in Northland

Postby tuckertrucker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi ORE

I'm gonna join the Bay of Islands 4WD club at there next meet, but until then, and between meetings I want to get out and about. Can anyone help me with the locations of good forestry tracks and paper roads through out the northland region?

Cheers, Dylan.

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Re: Paper roads in Northland

Postby PeterVahry » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Dylan, most forestry lands are off limits to casual use and joining a club should help with getting occasional access to some forest areas. 'Paper roads' or unformed legal roads (ULR) are often a challenge to identify on the ground, but if you research on the Walking Access mapping system (wams), they show them. There are protocols for using ULR, as although they are public, they can't be 'ripped up' and very often there can be issues with fences that need negotiation with the fence owner. Again the club may know some ULR that are practical to use.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Re: Paper roads in Northland

Postby tuckertrucker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:07 pm

right, that makes sense thanks mate.

In the mean time I might just head over to the beach and have a go in the sand tracks. I'm not hardcore with the 4WD or anything, and I try not to dig holes and rip the ground up at all, just like a bit of fun off the beaten track. Just heard the paper roads are often quite good to play on.

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”