90 Mile Beach

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

90 Mile Beach

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Hey ORE
I'm planning a trip between me and a few mates. Looking at going 90 Mile beach, starting at Waipapakauri and ending up at Waitiki Landing area.
Done heaps of beach driving around Glinks Gully and baylys beach, but never 90 mile. Any hints or pointers here?
We're aiming to do a 2 or three day thing, some driving, some drinking and campping. Any areas along the beach were would be appropriate to get up high and dry for the night?
Also where are good access points onto the beach. I've got the ole Safari so shouldn't be an issue for me, but there'll be an Escudo, maybe a falcon ute and maybe a terrano. Don't want to take people where they'll get stuck.

Cheers guys,
Dylan.

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Re: 90 Mile Beach

Postby Pj_Marsh » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:23 am

Check the tides, thats your biggest influence on where you can go. If its low head south to shippies and go around the point for a few challenging dune and hill climbs, there's also the crunchy bar trail which is a decent drive. Falcon might struggle a bit though. Northern end is pretty decent cruising, you will work out quite quickly where and where not to drive just by watching your tracks in your mirror. Good camping just past the Te Paki stream, also if you pop around the corner into Spirits Bay its well worth a visit just to spend the night. Bring the rods and beers, great trip

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:27 am

Crunchy trail bit of a no go the local cuzzies are sick of dirt bikes and 4x4 tearing it up.
Last time I went there they blocked entrace and put no trespassers signs up and we're flying the flag.
There's a bit of a settlement at top entrace ask them first to keep it cool otherwise enter at own risk lol

Zooker
Hard Yaka

Postby Zooker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Crunchy trail has a locked gate.
Been there for years.

Lchundy is thinking of the erewhon trail.

last time i talked to them entry was allowed they just wanted gold coin koha and to check your safety gear.

Camping at the doc campground on the south side of the bluff is good. Not hard to find. And theres a forestery road back to Te Kao from there, (also gold coin koha, tin on the gate)

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:14 pm

You can get to the crunchy from the other side

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Cheers for the hinters there guys. Sounds like we might be spending a little time at shippies to see whats the go haha then up the beach. I think I'll be the only one overly keen on any real fun stuff otherwise I think its just gonna end up being a drive then booze trip. Then all day in bed then the next tide we'll try to drive a bit further. Should be interesting.
Are fires allowed on the beach?

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:27 am

90 Mile Beach isn't really a day trip, maybe if you come from aucklsnd! Its easily done in a 2wd, as others have mentioned check the tide but there only place a 2wd might get stuck is on the access in and out at each end. The sand is firm enough to do motorway speeds and you'll be at the other end in a coupler of hours, worksheet bother letting tires down.
drinking hatorgade

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Yeah I agree with mumbls
All the fun is in the dunes north and south
Camping better in the dunes too can get out of the wind but no chance a falcon gona make it.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:31 pm

yeah we'd be spending a lot of time out of the trucks. Thanks for the advice guys might tell the Falcon to stay home and come in something else

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”