NJV6
Hard Yaka

West Coast 4WD

Postby NJV6 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi chaps,
Can anyone tell me if these tracks are still good to drive
Montgomery Hut
Mt Frederick, Denniston.

What state is No name road & cockeye creek in?

I am also after details of how to get to Tailings, I have done it before but cannot remember how to get to the start of it (with the intention of going up the steep hill)

I have never come across The Pylon track and Green Hut, can anyone point me in the right direction?

PM me if you like, Thanks Glen
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Re: West Coast 4WD

Postby drive it ... » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi
Montgomeries has had plenty of use now since the last year washouts, shouldnt have any dramas there.
Mt Fredrick I havnt been for cpl years but I know of a group up there just after this xmas and I gather all was good. Its pretty much all rock so shouldnt change in a hurry.
No Name was same as always mid last year, havnt been down cockeye for ever cant help there. Liverpool bills had a big log jam we couldnt get past, again mid last year.
Green Hut is a bit of a maze of old logging tracks all in similar looking manuka / gorse, bit hard to describe and sorry dont have any gps tracks. Be happy to do a run in there with you if its a weekend I'm free. Can go in few ways - either via good gravel road off Big River Rd, or G3/4 track up Slab Hill, or G4/5 up Staircase (I havent done that one). Petrol Hill also another top track in that area.
Tailings - on the main road you cross the Nile (coming north from Charleston) head up the hill, at the top as road swings left there is a gravel road on the outside of the bend, watch for southbound traffic as you pull across. Gravel track heads in through gorse / pakahihi then drops down to cross the Little Totara river. After the river the gorse is really closing in on the road so the side track down to the skidder site can be a bit hard to find unless trucks have been through recently.
Mt Greenland down at Ross is worthwhile. Also Smiths Clearing off the Karamea Bluffs is a cool track.
Cheers, Steve

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:35 am

You won't get to Montgomery Hut without boulder bashing up the upper part of the river, we tried a couple of months ago. Track is washed out in places.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks Steve,Keith,twodiffs, I have worked out where green hut and tailing tracks are again, and the rest I am familiar with, time to make the paint a bit duller.

I have never done liverpool Bills, what sort of grade track is that and how overgrown is it?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Liverpool Bills - drop in at Dunganville and follow your nose upstream. Bit lumpy for first 1/2 k or so then gravel gets smoother. G2/3 till wherever you meet a pile of flood logs, then whatever grade you push on. Open creek bed, not a scratchy trip. Only a little creek but watch the deep corners. We got stopped by a log jam so I dont know if you can still get out the top. German Gully also used to be driven, I dont know if that still goes. If you're in that area and want to stretch the legs, the Woods Ck walking track is worth doing around old gold sluicings and through water race tunnels.

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Postby L-andy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 pm

We did Liverpool bills last queens bithday and went right through from Ford at dunganville and up steep exit to foresrty road at Eastern end. No log jambs then but took a wrong turn up a dead end side Creek and had to double back.

When were you there drive-it?

Andy

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Andy, we were there easter last year. Was a pretty big pile, wouldnt have shifted quickly id of thought. if you exited towards east did you go out German gully? We chainsawed and winched out logs through couple of smaller piles before we got stopped. Worthwhile drive even if you do get turned round. Drop us a pm if your heading in to Lake Ahaura way anytime soon and dont mind a trailer queen tagging along.
Steve (was in blue prado when we met you up Mt Greenland, now in silly saf)

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”