1989 Bighorn, What's the Deal?

muddy_munke
Hard Yaka

1989 Bighorn, What's the Deal?

Postby muddy_munke » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi all,
With my Hilux still in bits, I need a vehicle to get up to the ski field and to work. Currently have a 2wd Ute I'm trying to sell.
Anyway, I don't really know anything about the Bighorns, But I've found one I quite like the look of.
It's the 2.8 Intercooled Diesel.
I'm just wondering if anyone had any gossip and things i should look out for etc.

Cheers for the advice in advance,
Daniel

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Re: 1989 Bighorn, What's the Deal?

Postby mudgripz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Very good truck if you can get one that has been properly serviced. Had a couple and the 2.8T is the model to get. Super diesel - know of one that has done over 1,000,000ks. Also quite strongly built - and 2.8 is stronger than later 3.1s in cvs etc. Had great run with my first one for about 120,000ks and hundreds of 4wd tracks, and now building another one up for offroading/hunting etc. Find them very easy to develop, and tune to good hp. Front and rear lockers available etc.

All round an excellent 4x4 though harder now to get a good low mileage (under 200k) one as people tend to hang onto them. Make sure you do your oil changes every 5k. Set them correctly with adapted suspension for greater articulation, good lift (not high arc springlift or too much shackle/torsion bar wind up) , power tune, lockers or tight lsd etc, and you have a very capable 4wd. Ex power to weight ratio and tough as nails.

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:44 pm

sorry for jumping in on your thread muddy monke :oops: but i was after similar info...

what are the 2.8 diesel mu's like?? i read about the engines being good (i assume they are the same as the 'horn) but what about running gear, suspension etc and rust on bodies and usual things breaking??? also, im after an auto. are the autoboxes any good??
info appreciated.
weemsy
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:31 am

Weemsy wrote:sorry for jumping in on your thread muddy monke :oops: but i was after similar info...

what are the 2.8 diesel mu's like?? i read about the engines being good (i assume they are the same as the 'horn) but what about running gear, suspension etc and rust on bodies and usual things breaking??? also, im after an auto. are the autoboxes any good??
info appreciated.
weemsy

have you ever had a look under a mu i have and i couldn't get over how low the transfer case was
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Postby mudgripz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 pm

2.8 mu the best one - has same running gear as the 87-92 bighorn which is very sturdy. The auto in that model is a good one - seems to give no trouble in friends trucks. Re transfer case height, this is substantially improved with a set of 33s and no longer a problem offroad.

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:17 pm

how much work to get 33's on? does it need a lift or anything, and how much of a job to body/suspension lift them?
do certain models have factory lockers etc or should i look for particular mods??

sorry for all the questions :oops:
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:26 pm

I have one and Its great ... 2.8 turbo diesel manual, I have added the inter-cooler.
A must do is replace the heater hoses including the ones to the oil cooler, my one got cooked before I got it because one behind the block split and the steam went down the trans tunnel so no0thing was noticed until too late.
The hose to the oil cooler went on my friends one at the start of a trip ... Steam every where when we stopped to engage hubs, air down tyers etc. We bypassed the whole lot and was away in 1/2 an hour. It took 2 hours to replace the hose when he got home.
Some came out with a limited slip dif in the rear. I have not heard of any coming out with a factory locker but they are available as an aftermarket unit.
I hav tiped it on it's side and did very little damage. Have not lifted it yet But from what I have read there is only 8 spacers required and the cables and brakes etc are long enough. The steering somtimes needs to be swaped with one from another model to get enough length.
As to whether you can fit 33's I am waiting to see ... haven't got the money yet.
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Postby mudgripz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:18 pm

If you want complete data on running/developing isuzus - google clubisuzu.com. Excellent website for owners covering all maintenance and upgrade issues - mostly nz and aus. Mus, bighorns, 2.8s, 3.1s - the lot.

Good trucks to lift. My newest isuzu project is a lwb 88 2.8 and we've just done a 2" bodylift (12 x 50m spacers), which needed radiator lowered 25m and gearstick hole enlarged to accomodate full stick movement. I think from memory 35m body lift you will get away without these alterations. I did the bigger 50m bodylift to avoid winding up torsion bars too much - this can put alot of angle on cvs and limit front travel between bump stops. Really important to avoid heavy duty high arc stiff rear spring lifts as they can totally kill articulation if you use wrong springs.

After body lift I did 25m (rear) and about 50m (front) suspension lift - a bit more at front to level truck. I used 40+mm extended shackles on rear, with some torsion bar wind up plus quick release sway bars setup on front. The extended shackles and swaybar releases give much improved articulation. My last swb bighorn 88 had I think 612 ramp index - 5th of 25 club trucks on a ramp test night - was ahead of a number of cruisers/hiluxs etc. With above lifts my new truck runs 33s with no rubbing problems, no transfer case problems. About 520m to bottom of sills - and overall height increase of 5-6" after 33s fitted. Could esasily handle bigger tyres. Will see if I can post some pics of work so far.

Only 60% developed yet but looking at possible front and rear lockers. For most 2.8 isuzus you can now get front and rear auto Lokkas from aus - which are great - had one in front of last isuzu with tight lsd in rear. Can also get air arbs, and soon could be chinese copy air lockers for front and rear - a good range. The chinese air locker will be getting a good club workout and test soon.

Dazza - you're dead right about checking hoses - also had a heater hose burst once and drove home with big cutout diversion. Simple enough to check them all and change the crunchy ones - esp the little ones behind the block...aaargh - should be done every 100k or so I guess. I didn't use genuine isuzu hoses but got whatever fitted from ripco etc and they worked great.

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:13 pm

I did the bigger 50m bodylift to avoid winding up torsion bars too much

How did you get on with the steering shaft ? was it long enough

Will see if I can post some pics of work so far.

Yes please

Dazza - you're dead right about checking hoses -
I didn't use genuine isuzu hoses but got whatever fitted from ripco etc and they worked great.

That is what I did as well ... There was only one that I had to get the correct hose for because it is a really odd shape.
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

muddy_munke
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy_munke » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks guys for the Feedback, sounds like they're a good truck.
Cheers Daniel

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Postby mudgripz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 pm

Finally figured out how to post pics - I hope - so here are a few of the latest 88 bighorn project as promised. Some before and after ones to show lift developments - worked out very well. Project only 50-60% completed so far, but already good performance offroad, with exc ground clearance without losing good onroad handling. Alot of lessons learned on last bighorn development have gone into this one.

Hope this helps Dazza

BigSkellsy
Bush Crasher

Postby BigSkellsy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Hea Mudgripz, That is one sweet Trooper!

octanepwr
Driver/Navigator

Postby octanepwr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey mudgripz, im looking at doing some work on my bighorn, same model.

With the 50mm body lift did you have to extend the steering shaft?
Also instead of dropping the radiator can you just remove the fan shroud and fit some longer hoses?

Keen to here some details on your custom rear shackles too, I hear they need to be 200mm to get a 50mm lift, where did you get them made up, what did you do for the bushes etc

What offset rims do you have on it btw?

Thanks

Weasel
Hard Yaka

Postby Weasel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Enjoyed my Bighorn, was my first 4wd. Rolled out of car yard at 4pm, and by 8pm had gone for cruise out to Lake Ferry with bro in his Bighorn and got stuck on beach! Call in mate with his 4wd, went and picked up other bro's 4wd, returned with both plus Turfor and got it out at 1:30am :) Nothing like a 4wding initiation...

Just threw some pics into a Photobucket thing from Akatarawa's if you're interested:
http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z47 ... 20Archive/

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Postby mudgripz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Hello Octanepwr

Yes good truck. With 50m body lift you do not have to play with steering shaft, but you do have to alter gear slot or kink stick.

The radiator does need to be dropped - from memory but not a big job.

Made our own shackles out of 10m thick plate, and you need to add 100m extra to get about 50m height increase. Runs same bushes but we drilled holes into centre of shackle bolts through the head, then a hole into this from mid and side of bolt - then fitted grease nipple into end hole in bolt head so now shackles/bushes greaseable.

Can't remember offset but will have a look. Truck with 33s needed certification.

Very good mods - give good height, improve articulation and truck performs well on and off road.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Nice looking truck. Do you think you would get much rubbage with the 33's without so much body lift?

I am about to do a 3.1TD Bighorn and want to get a good wheel size but minimal body lift and probably about 25mm suspension lift.

Cheers
Matt.

octanepwr
Driver/Navigator

Postby octanepwr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Ive done all the mods now, and when flexing 33x12.5s on 15*8s (-24 offset) would rub heaps if didnt have body and suspension lift. Maybe if you dont like the idea of a body lift stick with 32s and just do a 40-50mm suspension lift. 33x10.5s might fit into the guards better but i think will still rub on the corners of the guards. Maybe you would get away with a smaller lift. However brands that do 10.5s seem to be a lot more pricey (bfg only one ive seen) unless you want silverstones which are a bit extreme for the road. In the unlikely event you are not going to use it offroad you would probably be fine with 33s and just a 40-50mm lift. I have hankook 33s which seem true 33s, maxxis mudder 33s only measure about 32

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Not sure if the 3.1's have more wheel arch room. Interesting artcile with this guy running a 285 which is about the same as a 33.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipmen ... nsion.html

Think I will try suspension first as it will increase travel significantly by the looks.

Matt.

dave gone jeepy
Driver/Navigator

Postby dave gone jeepy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:54 am

thou I don't have one, I worked in a 4x4 yard for a couple of years, and drove a the mu and big horn, fantastic trucks in swb sold in aussie as the holden monteray, from memory Isuze where / are the biggest manafacturer of industrial diesel engines.
we had a few issues with the later engine the 3.0 but a great truck to play with.
the guys that came in and did our compression leakdown tests loved them, reliable as.

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm

why do you not want to do a body lift? not only does it reduce rubbage it also makes it easier to get to parts of the truck like the back of the alternator and bellhousing and starter motor bolts.

with doing a suspension lift you will get more suspension travel, but being that the front is ifs it wont flex as much but the rear certainly will. you may get away with a 25mm body lift but wont know for sure until you actually do it.

with doing a 50mm body and suspension lift i can fit 34's under my mu and not get rubbing at all.
needs more curry

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 pm

No need to lift the body unless I have to. Doesn't increase clearance or travel and just raises the cog.

Think I will try a 50mm suspension lift and some small 33's and see where I end up.

Cheers
Matt.

octanepwr
Driver/Navigator

Postby octanepwr » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Bare in mind im running a large negative offset, that guy in the link has very positive offset (like standard rims) to keep them tucked inside the guards. His tyres also wont be 12.5 inches wide

The larger offset and wide 33s have helped my truck handle just as well if not better than it did as standard on 205s. I also have removed the sway bar and will never be putting it back in (WOF man might bitch so ill put it in just for wof then take it out again as the handling difference is neglible)

It wouldnt surprise me if the 2.8 had more wheel arch room

And yep body lift makes a lot of things easier to access, also increases airflow around engine etc

Return to “Isuzu”