MUsteruious OIL LEAK!!! HELP ASAP

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

MUsteruious OIL LEAK!!! HELP ASAP

Postby GotFlex » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:06 pm

i Have a 2.8 turbo diesel isuzu,
For some reason when the engine is hot or iv been on the boost lots it will drop oil out of the pipe i made for it straight off the rocker cover as i ditched the egr
its only got worst in the last few months,
and the last night i was backing down my mates driveway (which needs low box too get up!!)
Looking up the driveway 15-16metres long was a line of oil!!
F**K!!! was scrubbing the concret till 4am, isnt much fun i tell you!!!!

Now can someone please advise me what this may be?? i put a catch can on today but that wont fix it!!

cheers!!
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Re: MUsteruious OIL LEAK!!! HELP ASAP

Postby mudgripz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Which oil tube do you have now disconnected? Is it the one from the back of the rocker cover which runs to the air flow pipe and into the turbo? Is the oil coming out of the pipe or somewhere else - the back of the block etc..

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

Postby GotFlex » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:57 pm

rocker cover which runs to the air flow pipe and into the turbo?

Ive done the rear main already, blow by? Whats pressurising it?
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Postby mudgripz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 pm

Some of the 2.8s and 3.1s do pressurise a bit and can force oil out through seals. The solution is to fit an engine breather kit.

Go to trademe and enter " isuzu 2.8 diesel engine breather kit". A guy in Chch manufactures these kits and I had one fitted to my last bighorn which had started to leak a little. This unit fixed the problem completely - little ali catchcan with a baffle in it which seems to change pressurisation of sump to slight vacuum? If you use this mod - do ask for the club price. Has a tube from the catch can unit back down into the dipstick tube.

Not all 2.8s have this problem - my present one hasn't - but this unit will fix it if yr seals etc are still ok. About 1 hour to fit.

slo_mo
Bush Crasher

Postby slo_mo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Sorry to drag the past up, anyone know where to get one of these puppies?

Lynx
Hard Yaka

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:36 pm

mudgripz wrote:Some of the 2.8s and 3.1s do pressurise a bit and can force oil out through seals. The solution is to fit an engine breather kit.

Go to trademe and enter " isuzu 2.8 diesel engine breather kit". A guy in Chch manufactures these kits and I had one fitted to my last bighorn which had started to leak a little. This unit fixed the problem completely - little ali catchcan with a baffle in it which seems to change pressurisation of sump to slight vacuum? If you use this mod - do ask for the club price. Has a tube from the catch can unit back down into the dipstick tube.

Not all 2.8s have this problem - my present one hasn't - but this unit will fix it if yr seals etc are still ok. About 1 hour to fit.

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:33 am

A friend of mine ( an engineer by trade) made a number of these ... I can see if he still has any if you want ...
It is a completly closed system so water cant get in.
I have one fitted to my truck ... I will post a photo when I can
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

slo_mo
Bush Crasher

Postby slo_mo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:23 pm

dazza85 wrote:A friend of mine ( an engineer by trade) made a number of these ... I can see if he still has any if you want ...
It is a completly closed system so water cant get in.
I have one fitted to my truck ... I will post a photo when I can

Yes please that would be great.

Lynx try it yourself

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Done it now ... Sorry to take so long ...

The pipe from from the rocker cover goes in and out the top the the thin tube off the bottom goes into a "Y" welded to the Dip stick tube ( Sorry I can't take a photo of this bit as it has not been done yet)

There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

slo_mo
Bush Crasher

Postby slo_mo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm

no worries, looks good i'll send you a pm

mudgripz
Hard Yaka

Postby mudgripz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:41 am

This is the breather kit I put on my current isuzu. Works very well. Added a tube from bottom down into dipstick tube.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 245649.htm

Available from many parts outfits and paid only $40 for mine.

Return to “Isuzu”