Isuzu 2.8TD into a Hilux?

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Isuzu 2.8TD into a Hilux?

Postby SupraLux » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Anyone seen this done? They're a nice motor, good power and cheap as chips...

Thinking of dropping one in my old Hilux (Hmmm... so SupraLux becomes BigHornyLux? :lol:)

I have the adaptors sorted for the output flanges from the Isuzu box (I'd just put the whole shooting box, motor trans and t/c in) since I had to make two for the MU, and shortening/lengthening driveshafts is old hat now... what other issues might I have... anyone think of any? (apart from getting all my Hilux bits back off Riks truck so I can actually do it? :) )

Steve

SupraSurf
Hard Yaka

Postby SupraSurf » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:25 am

last week you were doing a 2JZ :)

hiriklux
Hard Yaka

Postby hiriklux » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:28 pm

what bits :shock: :shock:

hiriklux
Hard Yaka

Postby hiriklux » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:29 pm

possesion is 9/10ths of the law he he :D

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:48 am

2JZ was 2 weeks ago actually, last week was a rover V8 :lol:

The reason behind this thinking is I HAVE a 2.8TD Isuzu motor sitting here (well, sitting in my drive, in my Isuzu Bighorn :P)

2JZ seems like it will be a costly exercise, and I've kinda grown used to oil-burners... they have nice torque, and far nicer fuel economy... and since I am half-scottish by heritage and the price of petrol is so high...

Well, its nice to be able to smoke up 37's on the road, but I think I must be getting old, cos I'd rather not destroy $2k worth of tyres by drifting my 4WD all the way to work each day :lol:

Steve

Oh, and Rik... its ok, cos I'm holding your chalk-line hostage... :)

Benzev
Stropper

2.8TDi

Postby Benzev » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Gidday Steve!! Rob here! As much as I loved the Bighorn I think it's a great idea! Bloody strong motors in an even better 4x4 than the Bighorn! Isuzu built a great engine there, it has direct injection as well, none of that precombustion bullshit! 128 Bhp is better than what the toyo motors put out and none of the cylinderhead cracking etc! I think it would make a perfect combination! I might do the same in the future with my Surf!
Warning though, it's a real pain in the ... to remove from the bighorn! Should be easier to slot it back into a hilux though(far more space in the enginebay) You should throw some new rings and bearings at it before you do the implant! That should see it right for another 300.000 kms and return some of that factory power! The bores and crank are Tufftrided so they don't need polishing and if well maintained should never wear out! The bearings and rings are the sacrificial metals in that set up!
You'd need to cut a big hole in your bonnet too for the bonnetscoop! Frontmount intercoolers are more efficient but no good if you do a lot of mudplugging which I'm sure you do in your Hilux! You may have to adapt the gearlever hole in your floor as well as they are placed the other way around from the Hilux!
Great plan though, I'd loved to see it done!

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:26 am

G'day Rob, yes I had considered throwing the donk on the negine stand for a few days and sorting out the worn bits - although I suspect everything is worn in this one so maybe I will just throw it in and get it working then find a better motor once the concept is proven.

I do like these motors... and I already have experience mating Hilux to Isuzu with the MU so how hard can it be? :)

Ok, once the MU is done I think this is what I'm gonna do... get the Lux back on the road (and off the road :P) with some Isuzu bits... Hybrids are the way forward :)

Steve

Return to “Isuzu”