Looking to buy Bighorn

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Looking to buy Bighorn

Postby FORGE1 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Hey everyone.

Im looking at buying a bighorn swb or lwb probably a v6 as it will only be a off roader and like the grunt. I quite like the Irmisher RS.

Is there anything I need to look for?
do Kms really matter?
Are they reliable?

Any infor would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ray
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Re: Looking to buy Bighorn

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Bump.

Got a mate buying one and asking for advice too.

GTS
Driver/Navigator

Postby GTS » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 pm

have you had a look here

http://www.clubisuzu.com/index.php

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Spent some time searching through their stuff (too much to look at in the short time I have though).

Just after some basic mechanical things to look for.

Engines to avoid, turbo problem indicators, EGR / blow by trashed intake indicators etc.

My mate is after a diesel 4 door wagon (although he does like Mu's but has been told "NO" by his wife). :mrgreen:

GTS
Driver/Navigator

Postby GTS » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 pm

I have 7 seater 92 big horn.From what Ive read and heard the 4jx engine can be a time bomb,the autos can be trouble if not looked after (cleaned and flushed and good clean fluid)the erg velve thing can stick but can be blanked off.and from what Ive learnt from mine there are 2 types of rear crank seal if you replase it with the rong one you have to pull it all to bits and start again(that sux)the engine will leak oil and if you dont check the oil in the 5 speed gearbox it will all leak out the front seal and the input shaft bearing will colapse, heat up and the wheels will stop goung round.over all I like it for what I paid for it and I dont think its any worse than any other 18 year old truck.

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Heath wrote:Spent some time searching through their stuff (too much to look at in the short time I have though).

Just after some basic mechanical things to look for.

Engines to avoid, turbo problem indicators, EGR / blow by trashed intake indicators etc.

My mate is after a diesel 4 door wagon (although he does like Mu's but has been told "NO" by his wife). :mrgreen:

I have been told that the 3.1 turbo diesel use 2mm cromolly sleves for the piston chamber and have a tendancy to run lean on the 4th piston causing excessive heat and causing the sleave to melt/warp to the piston. so depending on how well its been looked after is to how long it will last. I know someone who has a 1992 bighorn with 120kms and this happened and its been sitting for a few years now haha nice wagon (irmisher LWB) but he cant be bothed at this stage and he wont sell it to me.

the 3L turbo diesels use a electronic system to run the fuel so if its not running the right oil pressure it doesnt run enough fuel then it blows up basically. they cant just use any diesel oil it has to be a special one.

and the 3.2 V6 I have been told are reliable but drink the juice.
and coil packs and leads are your main concern.

I got more info on the bighorns in a recent issue of 4wd action (Aus magazine) and what I dont know I ask on here for help :D

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 am

I know I just purchased a Pajero but I have had an offer to swap mine for a 1995 Bighorn Manual with 274kms on the clock is there anything I should have a look for (engine wise) is there anything to worry about with this many kms?

corosafari
Hard Yaka

Postby corosafari » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 pm

As discussed earlier Ray take caution
I told you about my horror story and know of others but on the other side know a few owners that have had a good run.
General signs of liner wear is blue/white smoke under load, good idea to get compression test, pretty easy on these.
Aside from that you get alot of bang for your buck, no pun intended. They ride good and with better exhaust system they go really well, if you know the owner/history even better.
Oh yeh one of the fitters at Portland has just rebuilt his after it self destructed like mine.

malfunction
Hard Yaka

Postby malfunction » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

If you get one and want to buy a personalised plate I have B1G ORN id consider selling, PM me if interested :)
Mal
021 0666826

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Woops should have mentioned that its a 3.2 V6.

Cheers Corosafari I will be looking over it very carefully and making sure there is no smoke when underload and any unusual sounds the only thing mentioned was the the clutch release bearing was put in backwards when the clutch was replaced not long ago so it has a funny sound. I have had vehicles where this has happened for years with no problem (the rattle noise) so not worried about that.

malfunction wrote:If you get one and want to buy a personalised plate I have B1G ORN id consider selling, PM me if interested :)

haha sounds good mate but I already have a personalised plate "FORGE1" but I could have a chat to the wife and see if I can get another one :)

corosafari
Hard Yaka

Postby corosafari » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Oh petrol one shouldnt have same problem then, I guess whatever vehicle you get they have there gremlins, except for safaris.
When my rebuilt 3.1 diesel isuzu was fitted, said to be bulletproof, 4mm thick liners and head tubed to eliminate cracking. The only thing that went wrong was it wasn,t too flash when german tourist in rental thought it was a good idea to come around blind corner on my side of road. Would probably still own it otherwise. The only thing to do was go big.
cheers

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

I bought one as the family (Road only) wagon 3 yrs ago with 120,000k's its a 5 door 1995 3.1DT auto Irmsher, now it's up to 170,000k's has been a brilliant wagon, usual maintanence items only required scince owning, hope to keep it for another couple of years at least, good solid vehicle and excellent for towing with heaps of room inside as well, don't know if i'd recommend one for off roading tho :?
I hate signatures

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Best thing i did to the bighorn was put putting hilux diffs under it, its the 2.8itd model, has 4.8diffs and turns beadlocked 36"swampers eazy.guys in aussy are running these motors at 25psi all day everyday.
BJ70 13bt creepys,beadlocks n not a straight panel

Return to “Isuzu”