Bighorn Intercooler help please.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Bighorn Intercooler help please.

Postby kiwipete » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi all I have purchased an intercooler off a 3.1 Isuzu to mount on my Terrano and need to know what the inlet and outlet side of the intercooler is as per the picture below.

What is the small pipe sticking out of the intercooler in this picture? I assume I just need to plug it off. Pipe just above the centre of the picture. The other vacuum shite I will be discarding

Lastly, did these intercoolers come with an electric fan?
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Re: Bighorn Intercooler help please.

Postby mud_slinger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 pm

side with the vaccum controlled flap sits above turbo and the lil nipple is for boost gauge

and no neva came with a fan. you could either try one off the mitsi 2.5 engine or chuck bighorn scoop on. you can leave the flap on if ya wanted too. it sits open the whole time
needs more curry

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the reply mud_slinger.
I have the bighorn scoop and rubber seal too. Fan would have to be rather small if fitted with this setup indeed.
Ph 0212078472

whitetrash
Bush Crasher

Postby whitetrash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm

there should be to "nipples"
the one on the diaphram valve is for cold start up , discard it, I discarded the whole valve.
the bighorn runs a boost compensator that is run off inlet pressure which the other nipple will be for. either use it IP, a gauge or block it.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm

whitetrash wrote:there should be to "nipples"
the one on the diaphram valve is for cold start up , discard it, I discarded the whole valve.
the bighorn runs a boost compensator that is run off inlet pressure which the other nipple will be for. either use it IP, a gauge or block it.

Thanks for that. I have removed all the butterfly valve and diaphram valve. Removed the butterfly off the shaft and applied sealer to end of shaft under washers to seal it off. I will block off that other nipple too. I just need to source some silicone piping to marry up the intercooler to the existing pipework and I'm all sweet.
Cutting the hole in the bonnet will be something I need to take great care with as I want to retain the Isuzu rubber seal for the intercooler. Some homework will be needed here.
I also want to put in a fan, so that'll be the next thing to find one small enough to fit in.
Ph 0212078472

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm

When I changed mine over I also replaced the inlet manifold as the inter-cooler does not line up with the non IC manifold.
The small nipple on the side of the IC is the the connection to the boost as said above that is connected to a nipple on the non I/C manifold I found that the motor runs rough without this connected.
I too have removed the butterfly and plugged the hole.
You will also need to rotate the turbo inlet housing ( one bolt position ) so that it points in the right direction.
Then the hoses that are currently on the I/C in the photo will fit straight on.
I got an electric fan fan from the local pick-a-part. I just went around the cars till I found a front mounted one that would fit. ( I will try and find a photo )
Also did you get the other half of the 3 mounting brackets ?
Cutting the hole was made easy for me as a friend had the same truck with the I/C fitted from factory so I measured that one up and marked mine to suit
Last edited by dazza85 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:23 pm

dazza85 wrote:When I changed mine over I also replaced the inlet manifold as the inter-cooler does not line up with the non IC manifold.

Here I have thought of turning the non intercooler outlet 1/3 on its triangular flange. This will allow me to use 2x90deg silicone elbows with a small section of tubing to join the ends together.

The small nipple on the side of the IC is the the connection to the boost as said above that is connected to a nipple on the non I/C manifold I found that the motor runs rough without this connected.

Can you provide further info where this other nipple on the non intercooler manifold is please?

I got an electric fan fan from the local pick-a-part. I just went around the cars till I found a front mounted one that would fit. ( I will try and find a photo )

Photo would be good please, no pick-a-part places here in Chch.

Also did you get the other half of the 3 mounting brackets ?

Yes there seems to be a lot of other brackets and bolts in a plastic bag with it all. Is there a reason you asked?

Just re-reading your post here, this is going on a Terrano, is yours the same?
Ph 0212078472

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Oops :oops: :oops: No ... Mines an Isuzu :oops: :oops: I missed that line :oops: :oops:
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:03 pm

dazza85 wrote:

Oops :oops: :oops: No ... Mines an Isuzu :oops: :oops: I missed that line :oops: :oops:

That's all cool. I'd still like to see how you did the fan all the same. Is your hole a tad smaller than the rubber boot/sealer that goes from bonnet to intercooler?
Ph 0212078472

Return to “Isuzu”