My Bighorn

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

My Bighorn

Postby FORGE1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Hey Everyone,

I got the bighorn on Thursday goes really well really happy with it and its not that bad on fuel just got to keep the right foot tamed.

had to fix a couple of smal things e.g fuse for dash lights and rear lights and tidy up wiring from previous owner.

On the way home from Auckland the gearbox developed a wine but when you clutch in it goes away a friend of mine said Input shaft bearing but not sure and said try to find another gearbox as it may work out cheaper but I was going to have a try on pulling out the gearbox myself I have done it on a Safari so shouldnt be to much different but it does look crammed up there.

Do I need to remove the entire gearbox or can I just remove from the end of the bell housing back as it looks easier to take that end off or will that not get to the part I want to replace?

or

Does anyone have a spare gearbox for a 3.2 V6 that I can purchase?

What I cant understand is that it had a new clutch fitted a few months ago and they didnt even do it then as the previous owner said it had been doing ot since they had it and they had it for a year.

On the vin plate it says that it has 11 extra options fitted LSD (as I also found out when I pulled out into traffic in a rush and she got tail happy very quickly), Recaro seats (no tears aswell), rear disc brakes and a few more just have to learn what the codes mean. ALso has a full aftermarked exhaust from Cat back and sounds like a V8 inside but not that loud outside (very nice).

The factory Stabi disconnection works well It feels like it has more flex than my old Safari SWB (standard aswell).

Any help on the gearbox would be much appreciated.

Will have pics of it soon
Last edited by FORGE1 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Re: New Bighorn

Postby FORGE1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Me testing out the flex on my ramps couldnt go any further as the ramps were going to tip but got that far and was in 2wd and both wheels still firmly on the ground. I think tomorrow I will put my other wheels on to make it look a better.

malfunction
Hard Yaka

Postby malfunction » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:36 am

Still have the number plate B1G ORN for ya ;) Or anyone else that wants it LOL
Mal
021 0666826

GTS
Driver/Navigator

Postby GTS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:49 am

If it is the front input bearing it is about $90,the seal for it is about$10,the mew oil is about $50-$90,I dont know how much the other smaller bearing is cause they didnt have one so I used the old one as I was only doing a patch up.I also had to make a long puller to get bearing off.The bearbox isnt that hard to remove and is nowhere near as heavy as it looks.mine is a deisle but its probibly similer.The worst thing was trying to get to the bolt at the top of the bellhousing.

chipman
Driver/Navigator

Postby chipman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:01 am

Welcome to the "world Bighorn" may see you out on a run sometime any plans for mods or upgrades or are you just keeping it for a daily driver?

Chipman

suzookyman
Hard Yaka

Postby suzookyman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Nice truck dude, you still should have bought my zook.Its still on t/me.
see ya in town
Al
"It's a Suzuki thing - you wouldn't understand !"

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 pm

malfunction wrote:Still have the number plate B1G ORN for ya ;) Or anyone else that wants it LOL

Haha nah thanks for the offer but needs the finds to pay for mods :)

GTS wrote:If it is the front input bearing it is about $90,the seal for it is about$10,the mew oil is about $50-$90,I dont know how much the other smaller bearing is cause they didnt have one so I used the old one as I was only doing a patch up.I also had to make a long puller to get bearing off.The bearbox isnt that hard to remove and is nowhere near as heavy as it looks.mine is a deisle but its probibly similer.The worst thing was trying to get to the bolt at the top of the bellhousing.

Ok sweet might tackle it next weekend if I get the time. My landlord ownes a workshop so see if i can use his hoist. Yeah that was the problem with the Safari getting the top bolts out but found if you take the motor off the mounts and lower it down you get enough space to undo the top bolts, lets see if its the same trick for these.

chipman wrote:Welcome to the "world Bighorn" may see you out on a run sometime any plans for mods or upgrades or are you just keeping it for a daily driver?

Chipman

Hey Chipman thanks for the welcome. Yeah I will be getting out there asap (once the gearbox is sorted) its going to be a weekend worrior with the odd weekday use unless I need to drive to work have the family car for other duties but other than that I just want to get out there and have some fun, dont mind to much about damage aslong as I still get wofs it doesnt matter :) mids will be a 2inch lift, m/t tyres probably just 32x11.5x15, snorkel, maybe a front auto locker, barwork and if lucky a winch.

suzookyman wrote:Nice truck dude, you still should have bought my zook.Its still on t/me.
see ya in town
Al

Cheers Al, haha yeah if you zuk had a rego and wof I would have snapped it up before it got to t/me. Hope you get a buyer.
Yeah mate probably see you tomorrow.

Ray

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 pm

looks like ya trucks doin exactly whats needed, puttin a smile on your dial...

coolies..

8)
ImageImage

GTS
Driver/Navigator

Postby GTS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:47 pm

FORGE1

[quote="GTS wrote:
If it is the front input bearing it is about $90,the seal for it is about$10,the mew oil is about $50-$90,I dont know how much the other smaller bearing is cause they didnt have one so I used the old one as I was only doing a patch up.I also had to make a long puller to get bearing off.The bearbox isnt that hard to remove and is nowhere near as heavy as it looks.mine is a deisle but its probibly similer.The worst thing was trying to get to the bolt at the top of the bellhousing.

Ok sweet might tackle it next weekend if I get the time. My landlord ownes a workshop so see if i can use his hoist. Yeah that was the problem with the Safari getting the top bolts out but found if you take the motor off the mounts and lower it down you get enough space to undo the top bolts, lets see if its the same trick for these.

[/quote]

I managed to reach it with 3x 300mm extencions with out undoing the engine mounts they are quite flexable and let the back of geabox drop quite a bit

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:22 am

Well the Bighorn is going into the workshop this weekend and I have access to a hoist for the day (Saturday) no charge and will be pulling out the gearbox to replace bearings, etc.

I have fitted my wheels 15x8.5 with a wide offset I have the factory flares and it still sticks about 2inches out of the guards and have no rubbing but only running 31x10.5 nearly used up M/T so will need to look around for some 32x11.5 and a slight lift was thinking LWB springs in the rear and wynd up the torsions.

How easy are the CV boots to replace?

Will have a pic up of it soon.

pruggerdore
Hard Yaka

Postby pruggerdore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Dogs not impressed with you trying to tip his new truck over. Symptoms are the same for crook thrust bearing.Which should of been done with the clutch tho. personaly I wouldnt bother pulling it apart till it becomes more of a rattle than a slight whine as both those things will do a lot of ks without any issues. get a mechanics ears opinion. as to the degree of severity of sound.

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39 pm

pruggerdore wrote:Dogs not impressed with you trying to tip his new truck over. Symptoms are the same for crook thrust bearing.Which should of been done with the clutch tho. personaly I wouldnt bother pulling it apart till it becomes more of a rattle than a slight whine as both those things will do a lot of ks without any issues. get a mechanics ears opinion. as to the degree of severity of sound.

Haha she was not impressed because she was not in the truck when I did that. Shes more of my guide especially on the depth of a bog or water crossing haha if she starts swimming then I know its deep lol.

Yeah I had 2 mechanic's check it out both with the same conclusion being input shaft bearing as its quite loud the higher the revs the louder the wine is. But one said it could be the gears as well so fingers crossed its not.

Managed to pull the gearbox out over the weekend took 4 hours so wasnt to bad on time and it was pretty easy with the hoist just left the box at his workshop to look at next weekend and hopefuly put it back in then will look at CV boots then she will be all god for the mud :)

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:46 am

Well got the new gearbox over the weekend $650.00 inc GST. After pulling mine apart we found that the cluster shaft and primary input shaft were completely worn and stuffed but it would have kept going but eventualy it would have broken. So in goes the new box this weekend and may have sold the old box for $150.

1 last thing is where do I put Tow hooks I cant find anywhere to mount them any tips would be much appreciated

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 pm

FORGE1 wrote:Snip XX

1 last thing is where do I put Tow hooks I cant find anywhere to mount them any tips would be much appreciated

My rear ones are mounted on the side of the plate that goes across the end of the tow-bar cross member and is attached to the chassis rail with 4 bolts on each side
Not the best photo but you get the Idea ... let me know if you want me to take a better photo

The front ones are directly on the bottom of the chassis rails behind the bumper mount not the greatest as they face down and tend to get buried, but I have found that If I attach my strop at the start and loop it around the nudge bar it's all good to go when I get stuck
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:30 pm

dazza85 wrote:
FORGE1 wrote:Snip XX

My rear ones are mounted on the side of the plate that goes across the end of the tow-bar cross member and is attached to the chassis rail with 4 bolts on each side
Not the best photo but you get the Idea ... let me know if you want me to take a better photo

The front ones are directly on the bottom of the chassis rails behind the bumper mount not the greatest as they face down and tend to get buried, but I have found that If I attach my strop at the start and loop it around the nudge bar it's all good to go when I get stuck

Cheers for the mate I might need a better pic of the rear of thats ok?

I will have a look this weekend (if I get the time) to see where i can do the front I might need to take the factory bull bar off the get to the chassis rails.

octanepwr
Driver/Navigator

Re: My Bighorn

Postby octanepwr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey dazza id be interested in a pic of the front ones too (as well as rear). I have the lwb version of your truck on its side, and still just have the factory one at the front, as cant see any way of getting nuts inside the frame since its fully enclosed.
Unless you mean you bolted the towhooks to the underside of the protruding bullbar mounts?

Cheers

Lewis

Return to “Isuzu”