Rear Slip Yoke Bush Isuzu MU

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

Rear Slip Yoke Bush Isuzu MU

Postby GotFlex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey guys
the bush in my extension housing on my gearbox has worn out big time, has anyone ever replaced it? i stripped mine down today and pressed the bush out, and genuine tell me it cant be replaced!! at this stage it looks like a job for the the engineers
my other option is to swap the transfer to a auto one the the flange output which will eliminate the slip yoke, has anyone seen this or done it??

Any help appreciated
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

BlairH
Driver/Navigator

Re: Rear Slip Yoke Bush Isuzu MU

Postby BlairH » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 pm

GotFlex wrote:my other option is to swap the transfer to a auto one the the flange output which will eliminate the slip yoke, has anyone seen this or done it??

Doing this would require changing your driveshaft to have some sort of movement in and out/back and forth to compensate the diff movements with the suspension wouldnt it?

Is the extension housing you refer to on the back of the gearbox behind the transfer case? If it is, it seems a bit odd that it has worn out rather than the universals on your driveshaft! I am assuming you still have the bearing you pressed out? have you tried taking it into an engineering supply store or similar (eg Engineering solutions or SKF etc) and asked them to try and match it to something they might carry? I have used this approach several times before and have found the price is usually quite a bit less than what would have been charged for a genuine part.

Failing that, you may need to find a new gearbox!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

GTS
Driver/Navigator

Postby GTS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:40 pm

post up a few picks.I have a few mu/bighorn gear box parts.

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

Postby GotFlex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:51 pm

yup i was prepared to make a new d-shaft which had a slip joint in it, the mu has toyota axles under it and the rear d-shaft angle inquite steep, all ready had to replace the uni after 15000km, it has a double cardin at the top.
i have since pressed the bush out and have got a bush fron saeco, only prob was the OD of the bush was bigger then the housing so my mate machined it out to suit,
hopefully should have it back together this week, id still be keen to swap the slip yoke to a flange setup.
ill get some pictures up soon
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

Return to “Isuzu”