Has anyone put a falcon ba/bf motor into a Isuzu rodeo

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Has anyone put a falcon ba/bf motor into a Isuzu rodeo

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:18 am

Hi my name it Dallis and I am 18.
I own a Isuzu rodeo and I would like to put a falcon ba motor and trans into it.
Yes I know it is crossbreading. Dont get me wrong I like my ute but its just a bit gutless for my liking.

But back to the question has anyone put a Ba/Bf falcon motor into a Isuzu rodeo if so how much room is around it and how hard was it to fit in?
I can pick a motor and trans up as cheap as chips and they haven't done much k's.
Attachments
6822fdm_20[1].jpg
This is the beast that I would like to put in
imagesCA3Q7495.jpg
This is my ute that I want to put the Ba/Bf motor and trans into
imagesCA3Q7495.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 6806 times

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Re: Has anyone put a falcon ba/bf motor into a Isuzu rodeo

Postby nakimud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Is your rodeo 4x4? I really think you'll be struggling for room as the falcon motor is quite long. I don't know why they don't get more use in offroaders tho, cheap and plentiful and make great power and torque

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Catch 22 really.

Absoulutley awesome if is done.

you will need a Psychologist for all the hair pulling cursing swearing not to mention the lack of sleep you will get doing it.

IT was hard enough squeezing a nissan striaght six into a hilux engine bay with all its go fast bits ..... literally millimeters to spare.

But that's what panel beaters are for. the biggest concern i can see for you is mating the transfer case or failing that attempting to mate the GM box to a ford engine.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 pm

(nakimud) Yes my rodeo is 4x4 yea it is tight by the mesurments but it looks do able. The reason they arn't the used all that much is cos they are gutless but the torque is good. Right now I am free boosting it so it takes as much boost it wants and running an aftermarket ecu chip, a inline pump to up the pressure of the fuel injecters.So they are kinda cheap and narsty.
(Crash bandicoot) Dont worry I am already crazy from my other projects.
How tight is just the motor to fit in the engine bay.
I have a mate that has machined up a transfercase that works with the falcon trans and I want to use the factory trans because I know it can handle 500hp going through it.

tgaguy1
Hard Yaka

Postby tgaguy1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 am

Would be a conversion that is rarely seen.
I do not have any constructive advice or experience in this conversion for you. But I, like many on here would love to see a conversion that has not been tried before. If you think you can do it and have access to the equipment as you say, go forth and conquer. Make sure you take a good amount of photos and post them here for all us pic whores. Will be watching this conversion with interest if you go ahead with it. We all love good tech!
Nice to see someone wanting to use some thing different.

Cheers

Jase.
Men do not quit playing because they get old.
They grow old because they quit playing.

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Yea thats the idea.
I think it would be a mean conversion to do and I will take lots of photos of the whole conversion but I am sad to say that it might not happen right away cos of lack of funds and some other things but I will contune to do the research for it.
Does anyone know wether the Isuzu ecu will talk with the falcon ecu?

Do you guys really think that it is possipal to do?

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Postby nakimud » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Darby wrote:Yea thats the idea.
I think it would be a mean conversion to do and I will take lots of photos of the whole conversion but I am sad to say that it might not happen right away cos of lack of funds and some other things but I will contune to do the research for it.
Does anyone know wether the Isuzu ecu will talk with the falcon ecu?

Do you guys really think that it is possipal to do?

Is your ute a 4jh1 or 4jj1 currently? If it did fit, then no the Isuzu ECU won't talk to the falcon, you'll have to run an aftermarket computer or falcon car computer and get a good sparkie to break into the coon security system. Then you're likely to have annoying lights glow on your dash(check engine,diesel filter,etc,etc) that will be more stuffing around to sort out. I also doubt you could mate the 4.0 to the mua5 as an adapter plate will make the motor sit forward even more. As for 500hp through a mua5, well they are tough but not THAT tough. I would either graft a EA-BF bellhousing on to the Mua5 and adapt it that way or use an auto and graft onto the transfer box. Could also look at a Toyota hilux r151 box as they are dimensially close to the mua(and related). Im not saying don't do it but be aware it will cost double of what you might be thinking as a worse case

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm

may even pay to research the trans from a ford escape or explorer and see if there are any shared components ie a case of swapping bell housings to match the striaght six instead of the v6 or v8.

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm

The motor is a 4jh1 why is that?
I dont know what he plans to do for the trans case.
Ok what aftermarket ecu would you think is the best for the ute and motor?
Thats a good idea use a ford 4x4 trans and it should hold up to the 500hp.

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Cool idea and like others have said everybody likes to see a new project... But whats wrong with the current motor? Don't the holden rodeos(same truck) come out with the 3.6 v6? If its just a petrol engine your wanting why not throw one of them in? Or are you just wanting a cool new project?
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 am

There is nothing wrong with the current motor apart from its gutless. The 05 Isuzu rodeo (holden rodeo I prefere to call it what it really is) has lots of toqure don't get me wrong but I also the get up and go and the power to haul heavy loads up long steap hills at 90km.
Yes the 05 did come out with a v6 but they still has not that much guts to them yes they do have more power and less toqure but the motor is the same one as they used in the 95 bighorn.
I also want somethng thats not really been heard of before or done because I am not a preson to just to be another guy that sticks a v6 it to a rodeo and calls that a conversion thats just to main stream (no I am not a hipsta) I want to be out there and do something new and diffrent (yes technically it is cross breading holden and ford but hey there is the folden).
Does anyone know where I might find the dimensions of the rodeo engine bay and the falcon ba motor ?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 pm

length from where the bell housing bolts to the harmonic balancer is 790 mm

one thing i have learn't today is that the jeep wrangler engine has the same bolt pattern as the isuzu gearbox...GM for ya.

as for the rodeo engine bay go measure it.

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks that will help alot.
Really GM made something interchangeable part!
yea I know I will measure it soon

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:length from where the bell housing bolts to the harmonic balancer is 790 mm

one thing i have learn't today is that the jeep wrangler engine has the same bolt pattern as the isuzu gearbox...GM for ya.

as for the rodeo engine bay go measure it.

That engine has a very long history going back to the 60s. Its actually compatible with a few GM transmissions. I believe the engine design was originally from Buick, but they never used and sold it to AMC.

Have a look at Novak for adapters.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/amc_i6.htm
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow really I didn't know that!
I still think it would be more fun with the falcon motor cos it gets away from GM. I know GM is a good company but I just don't think they are the best and I have had a bad run with them to.

What do you think should I go for a BA, BF or a XR6 and what year?

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:05 am

Darby wrote:Wow really I didn't know that!
I still think it would be more fun with the falcon motor cos it gets away from GM. I know GM is a good company but I just don't think they are the best and I have had a bad run with them to.

What do you think should I go for a BA, BF or a XR6 and what year?

Looks like you are only looking for advice that supports a Ford transplant. I can't do that because I think they are the most boring engines ever produced. My choice would be either a Chevy V8 or an Hemi V8. Although Hemi would be expensive to find in New Zealand.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

wax
Hard Yaka

Postby wax » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 am

Why don't you use a vq30 turbo. Lightweight and strong. It's japanese so not a crap Aussie based engine as well. Shorter lighter. I can't see how you can go wrong

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 am

Just because it could be done doesnt mean it should be done :lol:
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I would strongly recommend the BC xrw6 Turbo as they came out with the factory Chrome --- , 10"

DIP STICK,

FITZY.

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I am not just looking at the ford conversion I have looked at putting a 1UZ-FE VVIT in as well as 2UZ-FE, 3UZ-FE, Holden commedor v6, Holden Rodeo v6, toyota surf motor and box and many other!

Yes a hemi v8 and a chevy v8 would be fun but the cost of them and the cost to run them and the aftermarket parts arnt that cheap to.

Just wondering has anyone run a vq30 because I dont know really anything about them.

Fakey what do you mean by that?

A BC XR6 I didn't know that there was a model of BC?

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 pm

SMOKEY wrote:I would strongly recommend the BC xrw6 Turbo as they came out with the factory Chrome --- , 10"

DIP STICK,

FITZY.

:lol: :lol:

I mean that its a pretty nice ute as it is but I think you'd end up spending the same amount of money as the ute is worth getting it repowered
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:18 pm

but thats half the fun if you what to do something completly insaine then its worth every cent and it cant be as bad as these guys [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWusb2X2WI[/youtube]

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 am

have a hunt in some aussie forums as the BA series is all electronic fly by wire etc so will be electrics that cause the big hassles.

Go turbo if you are doing it, not a lot more to fit although the IC will be tricky i assume. I had an XR6T and it is a torquey beast even stock.

1UZFE I suggest. Not new but there is a reason people do it.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm

LS1. It's been done by Holden (well maybe not an ls1 but I'm pretty sure it was an ls engine) and driven in a cross country race.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:58 pm

bang-thud-thump wrote:have a hunt in some aussie forums as the BA series is all electronic fly by wire etc so will be electrics that cause the big hassles.

Go turbo if you are doing it, not a lot more to fit although the IC will be tricky i assume. I had an XR6T and it is a torquey beast even stock.

1UZFE I suggest. Not new but there is a reason people do it.

A ls1 would be intresting to do. Do you know if its been done before in to 4x4?
The reason i went away from the 1UZFE is cause it was getting very expencive to do and very tightin the engine bay like 3mm between the motor and the chassis rails and that is not going the able to be rubber mounted and that is a real problam because I prefer to have it so the motor can move from the toque and not have the chance of cracking the chassis.

why leave the XR6T stock whan if you put a proformance chip in the ecu it will go freaking insain (might be able to pull a 4x4 burn out XD )

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:17 pm

yeah a hot XR6T motor is a beast but where are the weak links in the driveline? The T will find them!

A supercharged Commie v6?
A fair bit shorter than the 1UZFE I assume. Dunno about width.
I have only worked on them in their birthplaces where they fit fine.

The later Hilux v6 went pretty well when we were doing the pre delivery checks too.

Hard Yaka

Postby 007 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm

You would want to find the later engine with the 6speed box. I upgraded my falcon to the new six speed and what a difference, 1st gear punches instantly and is miles faster than the older 4 speed. I would look into a turbo kit or turbo engine, if the 192kw is not enough for you. But personally 6speed non turbo should be fine.

I would love to see this build .

Some info on the box.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_6HP26_transmission
Latest mod, pin stripes, hit the same branch I did on the way in on the way out.

ford ranger wildtract and sj.

Darby
Driver/Navigator

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 pm

The weakest point will be the ujs or the diff in the Isuzu.
The commy will bolt staght in but thats been done many times before but i will look at it to.
I would like to see the new hilux and how it goes.
I would be going for an 05 or later motor and trans so it would come with a 6 speed auto trans.
yea fine will be alright but OP is just insain.

Return to “Isuzu”