bighorn vs mu for towing

blonka
Stropper

bighorn vs mu for towing

Postby blonka » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey looking at buying something to tow a tandem axle trailer with my race car on it (1200kg ish + trailer weight).
I found a mu with a low km 3.1 turbo diesel manual. It does have a 2inch suspension lift. Is this a negative for towing? Also what are people's opinions about the size of it for towing?
Also with the bighorn is there much difference between the petrol and diesel?
Any help would be great.
thanks

keithal
Hard Yaka

Re: bighorn vs mu for towing

Postby keithal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 pm

having had a 3.1 bighorn and driven the odd mu

i would pick the bighorn if its gonna be used as a tow vehicle

they seeem to sit on the road better and dont get pushed around quite so much by trailers

having said that drive a few and pick the vehicle you like

Hamz
Hard Yaka

Postby Hamz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I don't know about petrol bighorns, but depends on how much cooling you have on your engine too. Say a bighorn has the 3.1 and is intercooled, keeping the head a bit cooler
And having a bit better combustion in the chambers, looking at things like oil cooler and trans cool as well if its a auto. The bighorn, mu, wizard all have the 4jg2 motor and the heads are known to be a bit touchy, but always seems the cause is bad cooling. I have always put the intercooler on my wizards and can tow 1.7t no problem down to taupo and back to rotorua. Those engines are good and torquey, but not fast haha, and just need to keep the head temp down. The mu will be a bit better for towing than my wizard as they are 200kg ish lighter

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 pm

blonka wrote:Hey looking at buying something to tow a tandem axle trailer with my race car on it (1200kg ish + trailer weight).
I found a mu with a low km 3.1 turbo diesel manual. It does have a 2inch suspension lift. Is this a negative for towing? Also what are people's opinions about the size of it for towing?
Also with the bighorn is there much difference between the petrol and diesel?
Any help would be great.
thanks

Generally a suspension lift is not ideal for a straight out tow vehicle.
I would also consider the Mu too small to be suitable to tow a tandem trailer with race car. The Bighorn is the better option between the two.

Petrol vs diesel one will drink a lot more, especially if towing.

blonka
Stropper

Postby blonka » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Wow thanks for the feedback, might give that mu a miss then.

What about this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/628694224
214kms to high or still plenty of life?
Is two door a alright idea? This car will be my daily so thought this might be a bit more practical around Auckland

Also someone said one will eat more gas, I'm guessing you mean the petrol?

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:20 am

I would have thought you'd be better with a LWB (4-door) for towing. Both the extra length and weight make it more stable. And even the LWB isn't a "big" truck. Still a lot smaller than a Landcruiser or Safari, and the turning circle is exceptionally good - so very easy as a city vehicle. Upgrading the rear shocks to stiffen it up makes a huge difference for towing...

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Lwb is the way to go for towing.

Get a lwb 3.1 bighorn, replace the water pump, all hoses, and the radiator. Pull the egr gear and fit an egt. These are great trucks if you look after them.

Matt.

hawiii
Driver/Navigator

Postby hawiii » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm

know the person selling this one, is a very tidy and well looked after example http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 647737.htm

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm

That is a nice looking truck with low kms. Shame its an auto though.

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

The auto's aren't that bad. Slow, but reliable. The diesel uses the Aisin Warner AW30-40le which is an awesome slushbox when looked after. You find them in rwd Volvos, Lexus
Ls400, numerous Toyota commercials, Jeeps etc. They are great for towing but really need an external cooler to take heat away from the radiator. Agree Lwb for towing, and 200km is nothing PROVIDED maintenance hasn't been neglected. Ours had 430,000 on the clock (diesel auto) on original running gear and still went mint. Forget petrol unless you like setting fire to money.
I like the post 1995 body and interior personally. Avoid TOD (torque on demand) transfer box like the plague! Many will have shift on the fly 4wd too which can give trouble as vacuum lines, relays and vsv's age.
How hard can it be?

Return to “Isuzu”