Anyone know this truck?

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Anyone know this truck?

Postby Wild_South » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 am

Hi guys,

Never owned an Isuzu but may be about to. I am in Chch but may take a closer look at this:

1998 Isuzu Wizard with quite a few mods. Based in Tauranga, so if anyone could potentially check it out for me that would be awesome!

I have always have Toyota's, so have very little to no knowledge about this engine and market price for a vehicle like this. What are these engine like? Good reputation? How about the price being asked? Reasonable?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... &district=
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

zed
Hard Yaka

Re: Anyone know this truck?

Postby zed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:49 am

If its got the 4JX1 motor (which I suspect it has given it has a chipped ecu), then be cateful. Lots of issues with them if they are not maintained exactly to spec, and even then they can still kill themselves...do a search for more info. Always a few on tardme with blown motors...

The 4JG2 isn't as grunty but more reliable if the EGR & PCV systems are blocked/sent to catch can.

Cant comment on price but an intercooled surf would be my pick if wanting a diesel mid weight truck. Grunty, good resale, plenty of bits available and motors are cheap. And dont have the complexity of the later 1kds (D4Ds). Next probably a QD32 Nissan or a SWB Pajero 2.8

My 2c :-)
IFS all the way...go the mark 1 Pajero!

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Cheers Zed! Currently running back home to the safety of Toyota.... :oops:

Sarcasm, don't panic :D
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Lol all good...nothing to do with me having one for sale, just my experience from owning all of the above...

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Even in the Isuzu forums you will find people running a mile from those engines. Even a few put 4JB1-T's in them instead.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:41 pm

That year will be a 4JG2 with an electronic pump. They 4jx1 came in the next model wizard.

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:46 pm

As above, 3050cc is 4JG2. Better than a 1kz I reckon (ducking for cover)
How hard can it be?

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a Bighorn with the 4JG2T running a 2in lift 33in Simexs a front locker and a rear LSD.

This truck cost a lot less to build than most Surfs and has more power and goes everywhere. The front diffs are stronger and there are plenty of cheap parts available.

I have owned a few Hiluxs/Surfs and prefer my Isuzu.

The Wizard has less ground clearance though and is hard to find in a manual but still pretty capable trucks.

Matt.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:06 am

What is yours outputting on the dyno Matt? Are you running factory boost etc? Ive had a few jg2s and while I like the commercial grade build they haven't done it for me power wise. As you are in Kapiti too maybe we should go for a drive together and compare the two? Line em up down pekapeka road lol go the kapiti grand prix :lol:

Wasn't aware about the diffs being beefier that's a good point though and certainly agree the surfs are more expensive to buy...

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:17 am

Bang for your buck you do get a lot more with Bighorn over the Surf.
2 other things to take in to account
1, Different driving position - the Bighorn is a very upright sitting position and gives excellent forward view were as the Wizard and the Surf's for that matter are more of a laid back sitting position
2,The rear suspension in the Bighorn is coil were as the wizard is leaf something else to bring into the equation

As has already been said the 4jx1 is a hand grenade without a safety pin. The 4JG2 is on the other hand just as reliable as any other small diesel motor out there.

If you head over to http://www.clubisuzu.com/ they have heaps of information and are really friendly and happy to share

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 am

zed wrote:What is yours outputting on the dyno Matt? Are you running factory boost etc? Ive had a few jg2s and while I like the commercial grade build they haven't done it for me power wise. As you are in Kapiti too maybe we should go for a drive together and compare the two? Line em up down pekapeka road lol go the kapiti grand prix :lol:

Wasn't aware about the diffs being beefier that's a good point though and certainly agree the surfs are more expensive to buy...

Have never bothered to dyno it, don't think the simexs would stay on the rollers haha!

My truck motor is totally stock and puts out about 13psi. Power wise its good with 33s and can cruise at 100 and handle hills no probs.

Matt

Return to “Isuzu”