Rear Axle bearing removal

billfish
Driver/Navigator

Rear Axle bearing removal

Postby billfish » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi guys, trying to help my Son fix a snapped rear axle on his 92 4x4 rodeo. Was a real mission but finally managed to find a replacement axle - but now am have trouble figuring out how to remove the old bearing from the replacement axle shaft.

I assume once I have got the shaft out I will be able to pry out the outer oil seal and tap out the outer bearing race from the housing. But getting at the other side is impossible until I can get the axle free. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to find somebody with a bearing press?

The replacement axle was pulled directly from a wreck so its possible the existing bearing is in ok condition but it kind of goes against the grain not to replace it while I am at it. Especially as I now know how hard it will be to find another axle if it also blows because of a dodgy bearing.

Cheers anybody that can offer any thoughts.

Bill

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: Rear Axle bearing removal

Postby derk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

did you have a look on youtube mate you usually find a few step by step tutorials on there

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:06 pm

wrap the axle in plastic and stick it in the freezer over night. axle will contract, so will the bearing, but since the bearing is smaller mass, it will return to its normal size long before the axle does, should slide of with a tap
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Zooker
Hard Yaka

Postby Zooker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:41 am

I'm guessing the axle and bearing are still stuck in the housing.
And the hub has snapped off leaving no way to get the axle/ bearing out.

Is this the green rodeo i saw a pic of on nz offroader fb page?

Return to “Isuzu”