4wd not engaging 95 D21 manual

Moderators: Steve_t647, Tech Authors

Andygoodbloke
Winch master

4wd not engaging 95 D21 manual

Postby Andygoodbloke » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi All
I have a 1995 Nissan Terrano Manual with the standard diesel turbo engine.

I went for a drive to the beach today, first time for ages engaging the 4wd.

I engaged the manual hubs and moved the smaller gear lever from 2H to 4H. No light appeared on the dash to say 4wd was engaged.
WTF I asked myself.

I tried the low ratio and selected 4L the gears dropped down in range. I could quiet happily break traction and do donuts in the sand with no bite from the front as it should
I know it can be a number of things causing the 4wd not to engage, but please give me a list of things to check as to me it is not the manual hubs or the transfer case (it did kick down into low range)

I don't know why the green icon on the dash didn't show up or if the problem is the switch or the system not engaging.

Can someone give me a quick way to check if it is engaging and working and possible causes for it not.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: 4wd not engaging 95 D21 manual

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Andygoodbloke wrote:Hi All
I have a 1995 Nissan Terrano Manual with the standard diesel turbo engine.

I went for a drive to the beach today, first time for ages engaging the 4wd.

I engaged the manual hubs and moved the smaller gear lever from 2H to 4H. No light appeared on the dash to say 4wd was engaged.
WTF I asked myself.

I tried the low ratio and selected 4L the gears dropped down in range. I could quiet happily break traction and do donuts in the sand with no bite from the front as it should
I know it can be a number of things causing the 4wd not to engage, but please give me a list of things to check as to me it is not the manual hubs or the transfer case (it did kick down into low range)

I don't know why the green icon on the dash didn't show up or if the problem is the switch or the system not engaging.

Can someone give me a quick way to check if it is engaging and working and possible causes for it not.

Thanks in advance
Andy

I thought the pre 96 were purely mechanical engagement........

crawl under and ensure the linkage between the transfer case and the gear stick is still attatched....(most propable cause)
IF it is still ok the next one is....whilst parked, engage a gear and 4wd and see if you can turn the drive shaft between the transfer case and the front diff by hand.....

IF it turns your transfer case is the culprit (or selector)
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Return to “Tech Section/Library”